Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

When to stop talking and start doing?

When to stop talking and start doing?

Old Jul 30th 2008, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of
Default Re: When to stop talking and start doing?

HTG - I have recently been through the community identified scheme, we live near Annapolis valley now and too bought a real fixer upper.

I had to have a few interviews with the Kings CED and a business acumen interview, which is something I am sure you would find quite easy with your business experience.

Feel free to pm me if you want and I will give you all the info and help I can!

Rachel
Old Jul 30th 2008, 1:49 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hortons to go
Thank you Judy, that might just be the best bit of information i have ever received from this site. When we were over last year we looked at a large 3000 sq ft house, it was advertised as a fixer upper. It had 9 bedrooms and we asked if we could apply for a change of use to a guesthouse. We were told that we could apply to planning. Later sitting in a Tim Hortons we discussed about using the house as a development and if we got planning to start a business. This in our mind would give us good reason for living in NS as we developed the house as a job and once converted open it as a guest house and then running it would be our full time job. If business was slow then we could get second jobs even working in Tim Hotorns i joked.

Reading the NS-CIC i am now thinking this could be an option. The time spent renovating would i feel allow us to make contact with local businesses and the town hall etc. Then maybe fitting into the community. We have made friends in Nova Scotia, a young couple with two children, one if from Newfoundland and the other from Cape Breton. We learnt a lot so far from them. They live in the Valley and i hope our friendship grows. We loved NS and the sense of community as i feel this is missing where we live.
If you plan to start a business here but dont necessarliy have the traditional profile of a skilled worker then the CI stream could be an option. Please though dont let anyone tell you that all you need to do is buy a house here - that isnt true and owning property isnt one of the criteria. The NS Office of Immigration look at things like Business Interests, Family connections or mutliple visits over an extended period.

Alternatively you could wait for the new NS PNP Entreprenuer Stream which is due to launch in the Fall (so not long now really) and of course that is specifically designed for people who want to start a business (so you dont have to spend as much time proving you have "community ties"). Unfortunately nobody knows the exact entry criteria for it yet but its likely to partly mirror the federal entreprenuer stream where you have to have a net worth of $300k(ish) and previous business experience.

As for myself I moved here through the NS PNP program as a skilled worker with a job offer. The whole experience was kind of like a rollacoaster ride. Once the journey started everything seemed to go into hyperdrive. We first conceived the idea in August 2005, visited in Sept 2005 (loved it!) came back in November for a job interview and got offered the job and put our PNP applications in December 05. By April 06 I was here working on a temp work permit and by August 06 we all had permanent residency. So for me I suppose there wasnt a lot of deliberating and mulling things over but then ulilke James Bond the rest of us only live once so if you want to do something you might as well get on with it!
Old Jul 30th 2008, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Paradisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hortons to go
Hi all, After a little over four years of talking about Canada to everyone i meet and a month long visit to Nova Scotia last year, i finally think the time for talking has to stop and we need to get going.

I am interested to hear when did others on here decided to bite the bullet and start acting rather than dreaming?

Was there one thing that made you decide, 'right we're going'.
or
were you pushed and now thankful

And what was your first positive step to start the ball rolling?

Thanks for your time.
After spending the summer at our holiday home and we did not want to go home to the UK. We went straight back and put our application in. We wanted to be here so much we just left and came over on a visitors visa and have been here 3yrs now. Best move we ever made.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 9:50 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I was in a bit of a rut, me and my fiance (at the time) were living in small accommodation in Edinburgh which cost and arm and a leg. The financial situation we were in wasn't the greatest, so our quality of life wasn't either.

So after befriending someone in Nova Scotia and realizing there was more possibilities out there I started looking into it more seriously.

It has taken me a long time due to reasons which I do not want to mention publicly but pm me and I'll be happy to fill you in. In the time it has taken me to research and submit paperwork (NSNP route) I have since split up with my partner, sold our flat, moved out of Edinburgh, left my job and I'm now living back with my parents just waiting for my work permit.

So now I'm doing this adventure on my own and so excited but really scared at the same time, I've not got anything to really hold me back now, nothing to loose really lol