Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

When Renting an Apartment in Ontario

When Renting an Apartment in Ontario

Old Sep 20th 2004, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

CDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond repute
Default When Renting an Apartment in Ontario

I have just found out from the Guelph and Wellington Legal Clinic that it is ILLEGAL to be asked to pay any more than first and last month's rent. Be Warned!

(I'm so damned unlucky though.....the Guelph and Wellington Legal Clinic leases their offices from the same property company I'm in a legal debate with!)
Old Sep 20th 2004, 8:18 pm
Bud
Forum Regular

Bud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: When Renting an Apartment in Ontario

Originally Posted by CDNReturner
I have just found out from the Guelph and Wellington Legal Clinic that it is ILLEGAL to be asked to pay any more than first and last month's rent. Be Warned!

(I'm so damned unlucky though.....the Guelph and Wellington Legal Clinic leases their offices from the same property company I'm in a legal debate with!)
Not only is it illegal, but also if you had paid in advance more then the first and last month's rent you are entitled to interest on this amount (6% but I may be wrong) which you can offset against your rent payments. I don’t remember where I read about it but if I find the link, I will post it here. On a second thought the legal clinic people shall be able to confirm this. Good luck!
Old Sep 21st 2004, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

CDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When Renting an Apartment in Ontario

Originally Posted by Bud
Not only is it illegal, but also if you had paid in advance more then the first and last month's rent you are entitled to interest on this amount (6% but I may be wrong) which you can offset against your rent payments. I don’t remember where I read about it but if I find the link, I will post it here. On a second thought the legal clinic people shall be able to confirm this. Good luck!
Actually, it is 6% as it is in my lease (I've obviously been scrutinizing it of late). I didn't realize that it was an Ontario thing though.