Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

When did you tell your rellies and friends?

When did you tell your rellies and friends?

Old May 19th 2006, 1:46 pm
  #31  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 829
britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When did you tell your rellies and friends?

I told all my relatives and friends at around the same time. After we got all our papers together. I played it down saying that it would be several years for processing and that there was no guarentee that we would be accepted.

My family are mostly quite happy with it, though they think I'm a bit mad. I know that my dad doesn't want me to go. I'm sure that I will have to put up with his tales of Canada the frozen wasteland or the giant roaches until we finally get on the plane.

My wifes mum is a bigger problem. She's in quite poor health. It took her six months to accept that we were really going. My wife is quite torn as her mother does rely on her alot.

Most of my friends are already in Canada and are impatient for us to come.

One good thing about telling people early is that we're finding out about alot of family that we both have in canada.

I know that they will be shocked when we finally go but its not like we are gone forever. We are only a few hours away.
britsnake is offline  
Old May 19th 2006, 1:52 pm
  #32  
 
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 39
jimbunting is on a distinguished road
Default Re: When did you tell your rellies and friends?

Originally Posted by swoops
Hi All
I lost my dad about a month after we had told them that we were going to apply.
At the time they both thought it would offer us and our kids a better future and although they didn't jump for joy I felt they would have supported us all the way.
To be honest the last thing I thought about in the early days was leaving my mum but as time goes on and you begin to come to terms with the situation you start to re-address the reasons why we wanted to move from this sinking ship of a country.
However since my dad died neither myself or my mum have spoken about the prospect of us moving to canada,even though it is constantly on my mind I haven't been able to bring the topic up :scared: :scared: .
Has anybody else found themselves in a similar situation where you feel torn in 2 directions when you you want to offer your kids a better chance in life but feel terribly guilty

vicki
Just a bit of info from a Canadian...............Once you are settled in Canada, you can apply to bring your Mum over under the "family re-unification plan " She would NOT have to meet the same high standards as you did. I am assuming that she is old enough to be considered as a retiree? Provided that she is in ordinary health, and YOU promise to support her in Canada, it can be done. If she is getting a UK pension, it can be sent to Canada.

Jim Bunting.
jimbunting is offline  
Old May 19th 2006, 2:12 pm
  #33  
swoops
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Fall River, NS
Posts: 322
swoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to all
Default Re: When did you tell your rellies and friends?

Originally Posted by jimbunting
Just a bit of info from a Canadian...............Once you are settled in Canada, you can apply to bring your Mum over under the "family re-unification plan "

Jim Bunting.
Hi Jim
This is hubby of Vicki, dude to much Info what are you trying to do to me :scared: :scared: my blood pressure went through the roof....
swoops is offline  
Old May 19th 2006, 4:47 pm
  #34  
BE Forum Addict
 
Tuppence's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: GTeh?
Posts: 1,379
Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When did you tell your rellies and friends?

[QUOTE=swoops]Hi Jim
This is hubby of Vicki, dude to much Info what are you trying to do to me.... [QUOTE]

This is the problem with moving a long way from the folks - you go from an hours visit every couple of weeks, to TWO SOLID WEEKS of them EVERY year :scared:

You have to ask yourself: "Can you handle the pressure?"
Tuppence is offline  
Old May 19th 2006, 6:34 pm
  #35  
Arrived at last!!
 
woodmanbg's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Bragg Creek, AB
Posts: 1,354
woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When did you tell your rellies and friends?

[QUOTE=jimbunting]Just so you know....................If she is a holder of a current Canadian passport, she is ENTITLED to FREE health care in Canada, did you know that ?

Any Canadian, who is over age 65 pays NOTHING for health care in Canada. That is one of the rewards of being a Canadian citizen ."

[COLOR=MediumTurquoise]Thanks Jim, I always forget that. I know she is a Canadian citizen with a valid Canadian Passport, but she hasnt lived in Canada for over 50 years, would that make a difference. [/COLOR]
Furthermore, once you are here with a PR card, you will qualify for Provincial health care benefits, after 3 months in Canada. In Ontario for instance, the cost for a FAMILY, for a year is $700, and that covers all of you, Mum Dad and the kids. this is paid out of your wages, starting in January, and ends when you have paid the year's premiums, usually in July.

During the 3 month waiting period it is a good idea to have private health insurance as a bridge, to cover the family until you are covered under a Provincial plan. All 10 Provinces and the 3 Territories have health insurance plans.




[COLOR=Navy]My husband (65) is the only non Canadian, going on a PRV, and we will have to work out health insurance for him. Our kids were born in UK but made Canadian citizens at birth and hold valid Canadian passports, although they have never lived in Canada and I left aged 5 but have been back to work for less than a year many years ago, and lived in UK for 50 years, would we be covered immediately by the Alberta Health programme or would we still have to wait the 3 months? As OH is retired we would not get any benefits from employers so we would all have to be topped up by additional private coverage I expect.

Thanks for your help it has been much appreciated [/COLOR
]
woodmanbg is offline  
Old May 19th 2006, 7:49 pm
  #36  
 
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 39
jimbunting is on a distinguished road
Default Re: When did you tell your rellies and friends?

[QUOTE=woodmanbg]
Originally Posted by jimbunting
Just so you know....................If she is a holder of a current Canadian passport, she is ENTITLED to FREE health care in Canada, did you know that ?

Any Canadian, who is over age 65 pays NOTHING for health care in Canada. That is one of the rewards of being a Canadian citizen ."

[COLOR=MediumTurquoise]Thanks Jim, I always forget that. I know she is a Canadian citizen with a valid Canadian Passport, but she hasnt lived in Canada for over 50 years, would that make a difference. [/COLOR]
Furthermore, once you are here with a PR card, you will qualify for Provincial health care benefits, after 3 months in Canada. In Ontario for instance, the cost for a FAMILY, for a year is $700, and that covers all of you, Mum Dad and the kids. this is paid out of your wages, starting in January, and ends when you have paid the year's premiums, usually in July.

During the 3 month waiting period it is a good idea to have private health insurance as a bridge, to cover the family until you are covered under a Provincial plan. All 10 Provinces and the 3 Territories have health insurance plans.




[COLOR=Navy]My husband (65) is the only non Canadian, going on a PRV, and we will have to work out health insurance for him. Our kids were born in UK but made Canadian citizens at birth and hold valid Canadian passports, although they have never lived in Canada and I left aged 5 but have been back to work for less than a year many years ago, and lived in UK for 50 years, would we be covered immediately by the Alberta Health programme or would we still have to wait the 3 months? As OH is retired we would not get any benefits from employers so we would all have to be topped up by additional private coverage I expect.

Thanks for your help it has been much appreciated [/COLOR
]

Once you are a Canadian citizen, you are one for life, period. Only a act of Parliament ( I'm not kidding ) can take it away from you.

About health care in Alberta..........Even a Canadian who moves there from another part of Canada, HAS to go thru the 3 month waiting period. Don't know why, it has always been that way. So YES you would need to have short term private coverage to bridge that period.

About husband age 65, he will be covered under YOUR health care plan, once you get Provincial coverage from the Province in which you settle. Automatic as he is your spouse.

Addi tonal medical insurance coverage is a good idea , as the Provincial plan does NOT cover everything. Not covered items are .........Glasses, dental care, medications, physiotherapy, and chiropractic and podiatry. Look for plans by Maritime Life, or Greensheild in Canada. Also consider becoming a member of CARP ( Canadian Association of Retired Persons ) who are a great source of information and discounted prices for lots of things like car insurance for those over age 55. Membership is cheap and usefully.

Jim Bunting.
jimbunting is offline  
Old May 19th 2006, 8:04 pm
  #37  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Biiiiink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Windsor, ON; Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,713
Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When did you tell your rellies and friends?

I can't quite follow this discussion with all the quotes being wonky, but if you're saying that Woodmanbg or her mum needs private coverage when arriving in Alberta from abroad, that's wrong. There is no wait period for new AB or MB residents *when arriving from outside of Canada*. No idea about other provinces, only ever been interested in healthcare in these 2.
Biiiiink is offline  
Old May 20th 2006, 10:01 am
  #38  
Arrived at last!!
 
woodmanbg's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Bragg Creek, AB
Posts: 1,354
woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When did you tell your rellies and friends?

Yeah sorry about all the wonky quotes, did it in a rush! My kids and myself are Canadian citizens, I was born in Calgary, husband is PRV, so guess we will be covered and from what was said before husband will be covered by my citizenship, but we will be looking into topping up with additional cover.

thank you both very much and again sorry about all the wonky quotes.

Getting excited now as Estate Agent measuring up on Monday and reckons property much sort after and should sell quickly!!! So much still to do :scared:
woodmanbg is offline  
Old May 20th 2006, 10:38 am
  #39  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: South Wales
Posts: 19
Rockchick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: When did you tell your rellies and friends?

Originally Posted by swoops
Hi All
I lost my dad about a month after we had told them that we were going to apply.
At the time they both thought it would offer us and our kids a better future and although they didn't jump for joy I felt they would have supported us all the way.
To be honest the last thing I thought about in the early days was leaving my mum but as time goes on and you begin to come to terms with the situation you start to re-address the reasons why we wanted to move from this sinking ship of a country.
However since my dad died neither myself or my mum have spoken about the prospect of us moving to canada,even though it is constantly on my mind I haven't been able to bring the topic up :scared: :scared: .
Has anybody else found themselves in a similar situation where you feel torn in 2 directions when you you want to offer your kids a better chance in life but feel terribly guilty vicki

My dad died over ten years ago, Mum has since remarried and has a step family but she still thinks I'm deserting her and taking her grandchildren away (I'm the only child). We don't talk about it and yes I feel constantly guilty but if you don't go will you regret it and one day blame your mother?

I liked your OH comments on your mum coming to live with you, my hubby would feel exactly the same. I have suggested to her that one day she may want to come out with us but she won't even think about it.

You have to do what's best for you and your family and deal with any fall out as and when it happens. :scared:

Claire
Rockchick is offline  
Old May 20th 2006, 11:36 am
  #40  
swoops
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Fall River, NS
Posts: 322
swoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to all
Default Re: When did you tell your rellies and friends?

Thanks for the advice it is reassuring to know there are others in the same dilemma!
Yes hubby did start to panic a little there! however I don't think mum would come anyway ,and I don't know how the OH would cope with extended stays
vicki
Originally Posted by Rockchick
My dad died over ten years ago, Mum has since remarried and has a step family but she still thinks I'm deserting her and taking her grandchildren away (I'm the only child). We don't talk about it and yes I feel constantly guilty but if you don't go will you regret it and one day blame your mother?

I liked your OH comments on your mum coming to live with you, my hubby would feel exactly the same. I have suggested to her that one day she may want to come out with us but she won't even think about it.

You have to do what's best for you and your family and deal with any fall out as and when it happens. :scared:

Claire
swoops is offline  
Old May 20th 2006, 11:57 am
  #41  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 72
Jibba has much to be proud ofJibba has much to be proud ofJibba has much to be proud ofJibba has much to be proud ofJibba has much to be proud ofJibba has much to be proud ofJibba has much to be proud ofJibba has much to be proud ofJibba has much to be proud ofJibba has much to be proud ofJibba has much to be proud of
Default Re: When did you tell your rellies and friends?

My boyfriend & I told our friends & family from the start. Now that we're near the end of our wait, I'm glad we gave them the time to get their heads round the idea. But probably after the 1st year of waiting we thought it was a mistake as the first thing anyone said to us was "have you heard anything yet?" which was a bit painful.

The reality of it all only hit us once our request for medicals turned up 3 weeks ago (completed and sent). I turned into an emotional reck for a few days. Although I have 100% backing from my parents, I felt incredible guilty. I've since told them how I feel and they have expressed truly how happy they are for me and can't wait to visit.

I know the next few months are going to be a rollercoaster ride, but it make's me so alive and excited!

Good luck to everyone!
Jibba is offline  
Old May 20th 2006, 12:50 pm
  #42  
talking Ter Sami
 
acer rose's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: hybrid territory
Posts: 1,106
acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When did you tell your rellies and friends?

We didn't tell our parents, grandparent and friends until our visas came through. They have been very supportive of our decision and are looking forward to "cheap holidays" The guilt set in a bit after that (they didn't ask why we hadn't told them for the 2 years we were in process...)

We haven't told anybody in our (large) extended families - experience has taught us that everybody (as in brothers, sisters, nephews, aunts, uncles, cousins, milkman, primary school teachers etc) will mysteriously know by the time we get round to talking to them

On balance, the decision was right for us. Having a hundred or so people enquiring about "when we are moving to Canada" or "have we heard anything yet" every time we speak on the phone for the last couple of years would really have been too much.

We also haven't told our current bosses!
acer rose is offline  
Old May 20th 2006, 3:49 pm
  #43  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Investor's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 182
Investor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud of
Default Re: When did you tell your rellies and friends?

Originally Posted by Jibba

The reality of it all only hit us once our request for medicals turned up 3 weeks ago (completed and sent). I turned into an emotional reck for a few days.
Me(us) too! Don't know what it is about that particular stage but I seem to be unable to think of anything else at the moment.

We got the request for medicals, police checks and residency fees all at the same time, and I felt really disappointed that the hospital couldn't fit us in for three weeks. Nevermind, police checks still haven't come back yet.
Investor is offline  
Old May 20th 2006, 3:59 pm
  #44  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Investor's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 182
Investor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud of
Default Re: When did you tell your rellies and friends?

Originally Posted by acer rose
We haven't told anybody in our (large) extended families - experience has taught us that everybody (as in brothers, sisters, nephews, aunts, uncles, cousins, milkman, primary school teachers etc) will mysteriously know by the time we get round to talking to them

Jungle drums beat very quickly !!! They all want to be the one to spread the word.

What's amusing for us is that in our small town a rumour started six years ago that we were moving to the U.S.A. There was never any truth in it as we hadn't contemplated moving anywhere at that time.
We never found out how the rumour started and it persists to this day.
Weird or what?
Investor is offline  
Old May 20th 2006, 6:55 pm
  #45  
Essex hopefuls
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 47
4 of a kind is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: When did you tell your rellies and friends?

Originally Posted by swoops
Thanks for the advice it is reassuring to know there are others in the same dilemma!
Yes hubby did start to panic a little there! however I don't think mum would come anyway ,and I don't know how the OH would cope with extended stays
vicki
Wow this thread has got us all tapping the keys! Well we told our rellies at the beginning of our journey, hubbys mum was good, but then again like a few others on here, she lives a good distance from us and we only catch up about 3 wkends a year. My parents were a different matter, mum v tearful, dad very stiff upper lip, but he was v sad. Over time, it became a bit of 'if we don't talk about it - it won't happen' situation, which made it difficult to tell them how things were progressing. Then last year we put our house up for sale just as the market dropped, and so no sale was made, which again seemed to give them false hope. This year everything changed. We had an offer on the house mid March, but thought to keep shtoom till it was more definate, then on 5th April, Dad had a massive heart attack and died.

Its been hell on wheels since. Typically house sale is going ahead full pelt, and hubbys future employer is desperate for us to get there asap. Mum is beside herself. Its all so raw for her, but keeps saying stuff like, her whole life being ripped away from her, and she'd be better off dead.... not good. I've begged her to consider coming over for a long visit once we are settled, but its all just shunned, coupled with helpful comments like, the kids will really miss their friends. Sense tells us that time should ease a lot of this, but boy is it tough. I feel like the biggest cow on the planet, but this family has been waiting for this moment for a long time.. Once things calm down i'll be able to grieve myself, but till then time waits for no man/woman! It looks like we'll be off the first week of July. Not sure that this has helped anyone with their personal decisions, all familys respond differently, I did think it was kinder to keep them all in the loop - but stressful however you handle it.
4 of a kind is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.