Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

When best to buy tickets back to UK?

When best to buy tickets back to UK?

Old Dec 4th 2011, 1:42 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default When best to buy tickets back to UK?

With a family of 6, we want the best and cheapest options to fly home for a 3 week holiday in late August/early September 2012.

So far, it seems like Canadian Affair offer the best rates, but has someone got something else they might suggest to get the best deal?

Secondly, not being a frequent flyer, when is best to buy tickets? Now or nearer the time? I would be pissed off if I bought them now and they became cheaper nearer the time.

That said, with the Olympics this summer, might now be the better time to buy? Will the increased interest to travel to the UK push up ticket prices nearer the time?

All a moot point actually, cant afford the tickets right now, but knowing when is best does help!

Thanks!
Old Dec 4th 2011, 2:35 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When best to buy tickets back to UK?

Originally Posted by Poppy2
With a family of 6, we want the best and cheapest options to fly home for a 3 week holiday in late August/early September 2012.

So far, it seems like Canadian Affair offer the best rates, but has someone got something else they might suggest to get the best deal?

Secondly, not being a frequent flyer, when is best to buy tickets? Now or nearer the time? I would be pissed off if I bought them now and they became cheaper nearer the time.

That said, with the Olympics this summer, might now be the better time to buy? Will the increased interest to travel to the UK push up ticket prices nearer the time?

All a moot point actually, cant afford the tickets right now, but knowing when is best does help!

Thanks!
Buy when you can afford them and are comfortable with the price. Once purchased, don't look at the prices again.

Prices go up and down so nobody can guarantee anything on here for you.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 2:41 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Poppy2

Thanks!
If you're thinking Canadian Affair, I would wait until nearer the time. All this in the news about Thomas Cook would make me very nervous about booking in advance with them.

Also, consider US Airways. We're flying with them in a couple of weeks- Halifax to Philadelphia to Manchester. Total flight time, including transfers, is 9 hours. US Airways were the cheapest option for us.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 5:21 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
If you're thinking Canadian Affair, I would wait until nearer the time. All this in the news about Thomas Cook would make me very nervous about booking in advance with them.

Also, consider US Airways. We're flying with them in a couple of weeks- Halifax to Philadelphia to Manchester. Total flight time, including transfers, is 9 hours. US Airways were the cheapest option for us.
I havent heard anything about Thomas Cook - will look into that. I will also check out the US carriers, thanks!
Old Dec 4th 2011, 5:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You can book direct with Air Transat rather than Canadian Affair - or if you choose to go with Canadian Affair then choose Air Transat flights - then you won't have to worry about Thos. Cooke

The Olympics finish on 12th August, the Paralympic games start on 29th August and go on until 12th September so you may want to fly there sometime between those dates. http://www.london2012.com/

You could try flybmi (BMI) as they offer flights flying on Air Canada but are slightly cheaper.

Alternatively, drive to Buffalo and get a flight from there, they are normally a lot cheaper.

Old Dec 4th 2011, 8:22 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
You can book direct with Air Transat rather than Canadian Affair - or if you choose to go with Canadian Affair then choose Air Transat flights - then you won't have to worry about Thos. Cooke

The Olympics finish on 12th August, the Paralympic games start on 29th August and go on until 12th September so you may want to fly there sometime between those dates. http://www.london2012.com/

You could try flybmi (BMI) as they offer flights flying on Air Canada but are slightly cheaper.

Alternatively, drive to Buffalo and get a flight from there, they are normally a lot cheaper.

Air Transat and Canadian Affair are under the same ownership.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 8:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you can be flexible with the dates I would wait until nearer the time. Definitely fly in September as July and August seem to be the most expensive months.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 11:50 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Air Transat and Canadian Affair are under the same ownership.
My point was that people were advising not to book through Canadian Affair because of the possibility of Thos. Cooke going under... therefore, to either go direct to Air Transat or book through Canadian Affair for an Air Transat flight.

Air Transat do indeed own Canadian Affair

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Affair

'On 14 July 2006, Canadian Affair was acquired by Transat A.T. for £20.4 million (approximately C$42.8 million)'