Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

When asked where are you from, what do you reply?

When asked where are you from, what do you reply?

Old Jun 2nd 2006, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Washington, the original one, for now. The future - who knows?
Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold
Default When asked where are you from, what do you reply?

This is aimed at people living in Canada.
Do you :

A) Say you are from (somewhere in ) the Uk and now live in Canada.

B) Say you are from (somewhere in) Canda and originally came from the UK

C) Say where you live in Canada

Also would it depend if a fellow Expat was asking as opposed to a Canadian, and do you ever stop converting prices back in to sterling?
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

Scoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: When asked where are you from, what do you reply?

Originally Posted by Wearsider
Do you :

Also would it depend if a fellow Expat was asking as opposed to a Canadian, and do you ever stop converting prices back in to sterling?
i would go for B..also stopped converting as i gotta be realistic...
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 12:34 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

London.

If people look confused I say "London, London".
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 12:45 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Do you :

D) Somewhere in England (depends how knowledgable the questioner is on UK)
OR
E) My mummys tummy.

If asked where you are from why would you say where u now lived???
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Washington, the original one, for now. The future - who knows?
Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
D) Somewhere in England (depends how knowledgable the questioner is on UK)
OR
E) My mummys tummy.

If asked where you are from why would you say where u now lived???
Stop being pedantic!
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 12:49 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Stop being pedantic!
HEY I'm NOT into kids!! Stop making those accusations!! :scared:

Last edited by Butch Cassidy; Jun 3rd 2006 at 12:54 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

Higgy is on a distinguished road

people are only usually asking 'where are you from?' cos they want to know where your accent is from. I get asked nearly every day and I say 'Scotland originally but I'm from here now.' I also don't think people are listening to what i say cos when I'm finished talking all they say is 'I love your accent'.

Stopped converting to pounds months ago but sometimes i convert just to work out if it's value for money.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

[QUOTE=Butch Cassidy]HEY I'm into kids!!

I wouldnt broadcast that if I were you!
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 12:55 am
Banned

[QUOTE=willmore]
HEY I'm into kids!!

I wouldnt broadcast that if I were you!
Suitably edited
Thank Phook u spotted that Sue!!! :scared:
I owe you big time
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 12:59 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Butch Cassidy]
Originally Posted by willmore

Suitably edited
Thank Phook u spotted that Sue!!! :scared:
I owe you big time

Oh. I just said to her, over there, "this guy's willing to pose as a paedo for a joke. I don't think I'd go that far". I thought that ballsy!
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

HEY I'm NOT into kids!! Stop making those accusations!! :scared:
Very subtle indeed!
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 2:16 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Freud said there are No accidents.

A freudien slip is when you type one thing and mean your mother..erm, an other

Answer to question for me depends who Im talking to and what mood Im in. If Im mischeivous then I'll say where I live now and look at them like , why are you asking? Otherwise my UK history is so mixed up I just say "All over the place in England" if its obvious they are going along the "Do you know Fred, he lives in England" path.

Occasionally you meet locals who lived in the UK and actually might get something out of a sensible answer.

FWIW it took me about a years to stop translating to pounds, and about five till I finaly stopped converting from time to time when I wanted to justify splurging on a non essential toy!
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 3:27 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I say, from Newcastle. Obviously.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 6:15 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

No, where the Aussies come from.

For some reason the broad 'ampshire 'og mixed with London Estuary slang seems to confuse the 'ell out of 'em.

Someone tried to help me learn Spanish the other day, we quickly gave up as I murder English you can imagine how bad the ole toto bien turned out.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 6:54 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I have an 'orrible Saarf London accent, so I always say London. I am technically from Kent really. I stopped converting £ to $ about three years ago. It depresses me to remind myself what a s*** salary I get paid over here. Ignorance is bliss....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.