Reload this Page >

What's Your Story?

What's Your Story?

Old Jul 26th 2005, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

brit_in_fizroy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What's Your Story?

Originally Posted by babyblue
I was fishing most of the weekend and yes Guys! Us women can catch fish I stood next to the docks and fished between the boats and guess what?....
8 guys,1 woman and i got two Large mouth bass(both 14 " long)! and the guys got nothing! Oh yes i got the male attitudes!
Not bad for a women who only fished as a child in Lyme Regis on a boat.
SORRY BUT I HAD TO RUB IT IN!
It's the pheromones - my Wife skunked me last weekend with a 34" Muskie and a 25" Pike - me? nowt.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's Your Story?

For many years we had as a family been becoming more and more dissolutioned with living in the UK. Especially my wife, who although German, used to think that Britain was truely wonderfull. As each day went by, we would hear about something else that would make us think "Why do we want to live here". It could be something as major as bullying and drugs which we don't want our son to experience or something as trivial as the police ticketing someone for having a sip of water while driving.

We thought about Canada, New Zealand and Australia. New Zealand was ruled out because by experence would not have really fitted in with the job market. We took so long deciding that eventually Australia was ruled out because we hit 45, so that left only Canada. I was never entirly convinced by Australia anyway, since I like to have at least some none lethal wildlife in the garden.

This is not as bad as it seems because I have worked as a contractor with a Calgary company since 1988 and have had numerous business trips of several weeks or more during these years. We have also spent vacation time in BC and Alberta. I have always loved Canada and had a dream of living with a view of the mountains just a stones throw from weekend skiing. I just had to convice she who must be obeyed

Last October we came on a research trip. The first week went badly. Peggy, my wife hated the place. We then found Cochrane to the North West of Calgary and what a change. Peggy had to drag me to the developers office to put down a deposit on a plot in a new lakeside development just North of the town. Considering we had not even applied for PR this seems like madness, but Canada being what it is has the concept of completely refundable deposits so we had nothing to loose. I phoned the Calgary office, went in to ask for a job and six month later here we are (well here I am ) on a 3 year work permit and a PNP PR application in progress.

The only downside is that it all happened so fast that we haven't managed to sell our house in the UK yet, so I'm still waiting for my family to arrive.

If you asked me why we moved, I would say for a better lifestyle. Given the recent horrifying events in London, thank god we have done it. I'm sure that there will be things that will make us homesick from time to time, but there are always holidays We might even be able to wean our son off the TV because it is truely awful here.