Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What's Your Story?

What's Your Story?

Old Jul 21st 2005, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light
Default What's Your Story?

Just wondered what made you pack up and move to canada?

Was it love?

was it work?

was it frustration back home?

were you running?

do you ever sit and wonder how you actually made it to this wonderful place!

Quite a journey! I am sure many of us have amazing tales to tell.

Mine was for the love of canada and what i felt it would have to offer my children for their future. My mother lives here and i would visit her most years yet i never thought i would be here myself. Two years have flown by and i sometimes sit and wonder what would life be like for me now back in the UK.
I know i made the best move for my children even if i have to struggle to get there.
That would be my only complaint!
Fighting for every thing including basic rights. Next step is to get my qualifications credited. See what they will be worth here. I am a nanny with special needs right now and i don't want to have to start back at school anymore. I did years of that back home. Just hope i will get work with the quals i have.
What is your story?
i thought this might be a good way to get to know each other a little more.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 3:37 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What's Your Story?

We absolutely loved where we lived in the UK - Hampshire in a beautiful little village. I owned boarding stables and wanted to expand. Land prices in the UK were getting ridiculous in our area so we decided to sell up, realise our assets and set up home elsewhere in the world where land prices are not so great. My husband owns an American company so the States was where we were always going to go to......however then we found Canada!! And that was it! No going back. We spent a lot of time out in BC and absolutely adored it, but business-wise we didn't feel it had the prospects so then last year we moved our search to Ontario and just fell in love with it. Very similar area to Hampshire, incredibly beautiful countryside and made great friends here. We bought a farm back in Feb 2004 which was perfect for what we thought we wanted to do, however this has sort of changed since moving here in December.

My husband still has his company in the UK so still has to travel back and forth at the moment, but we are slowly building up a farm business here and he will no doubt start up another company similar to his in the UK at some point in the future. We have just the most wonderful friends over here, as good as our dear friends in the UK. Life is very similar here to back in England but I couldn't ever imagine wanting to leave this utopia. I adore Canada and this is definitely my home now
Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Snape is on a distinguished road

I moving because of my Girlfriend, i do love it in the Uk because i have my friends and my family so it going to be quite hard to be torn between two parts of my life i love. But i think you must try these things as they dont come around that often and it will be a good life experience i dont know weather i will settle there for 100% but you never know.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 11:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to try "abroad". I looked at the ads for jobs abroad. The US seemed dangerous, Australia a long way away "what if we don't like it, how will we afford the fare back ?". There was an advert for Canada, "hey they speak French there, don't they ?" we thought so. A couple of weeks later we were in Toronto. We though it would be a big exciting city where English and French were spoken. In short, we thought it would be Montreal. It wasn't but we might as well have gone to Australia, we didn't have the fare back from here anyway.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 12:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I was offered a wheelbarrow full of cash to come work here. Had no idea how nice Canada was until I got here, although my brother visited on honeymoon and took a shine to the place, so I know it wasnt an armpit.

The cash is long since gone, but I couldnt imagine a better place to live and raise a family.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 1:53 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=iaink]so I know it wasnt an armpit.QUOTE]

You haven't been to Montreal's south shore, evidently. Or Trois Rivieres. Or Milton (if you have, you'd better not tell us why).
Old Jul 21st 2005, 2:02 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Souvenir]
Originally Posted by iaink
so I know it wasnt an armpit.QUOTE]

You haven't been to Montreal's south shore, evidently. Or Trois Rivieres. Or Milton (if you have, you'd better not tell us why).
Been to two of those, but then Ive also been to Hull (UK), Birkenhead, Some of the seedier bits of Leeds and a few other places in the UK that werent great either. Doesnt have any bearing on Canada in general, or the UK in general for that matter. Ive nothing against the UK, most of the bits I lived in were nice enough, and I wasnt planning on leaving. It was only when I got here that I decided this was the life for me.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 2:06 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Odd place, Milton. In the most recent census, it came out as being the only significant community in that part of Ontario that had a declining population. The fall in numbers would have been greater if it were not for the fact that a sizeable part of the population are not in a position to leave, not until they've served there sentences, anyway.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 2:10 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Personally.... my reason for coming to Canada (twice)

Simple offered a great job in Canada and came for 2 years (back in 2000)....

Job not quite that great ..but got an even better one in the UK/Europe because of the experience gained in the Canadian one...

thus working in Europe for a year and half... now with truly international experience...offered even more money to come back to Canada.. been here for about 22 months this time...

Me.... I follow the money...
Old Jul 21st 2005, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Me.... I follow the money...
Buggers up all those threads about telling those in waiting NOT to move to Canada (anywhere come to that) for economic reasons.

Last edited by SANDRAPAUL; Jul 21st 2005 at 2:53 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 3:42 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
Buggers up all those threads about telling those in waiting NOT to move to Canada (anywhere come to that) for economic reasons.

Nope... its about moving to and from Canada for the right economic reasons....
Old Jul 21st 2005, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

I came here for love
My Canadian partner's work visa expired which meant we had to move to Canada or separate (which obviously wasn't an option). We are now married
and are planning to move back next year.
I don't regret moving to Canada, but I wouldn't have ever chosen to move here on my own accord. I'm a very patriotic Brit and love England, despite it's faults.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Nope... its about moving to and from Canada for the right economic reasons....
Big head!
Old Jul 21st 2005, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a lazy git, my father was born here so after a little cajoling, CIC gave me a citizenship card and passport. Mr B would rather have had Australia or NZ as there'd be no requalification for him, but I didn't fancy either. And he knows who the boss is.

If the winters are too much we plan to drift south.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 5:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I'm a lazy git, my father was born here so after a little cajoling, CIC gave me a citizenship card and passport. Mr B would rather have had Australia or NZ as there'd be no requalification for him, but I didn't fancy either. And he knows who the boss is.

If the winters are too much we plan to drift south.
South as in hemisphere or just across the border ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.