Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with Canada?

What's wrong with Canada?

Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's wrong with Canada?

First: Thanks for your service.
Second: Amen.

Stay safe.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:29 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by startwin
When did you? That kind of beligerence is uncalled for, and unsettling given that you are an RCMP officer. They used to be relied on to defuse situations, not the opposite.

The RCMP officers are not the only ones responsible for this man's death, and I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say they are murderers. But the video speaks for itself, and the way those officers went in was appalling. You can scream and holler all you like in defence of your comrades but they were way out of line both in the tasering and their actions - or lack of - following their attack on this man. I am even more appalled by their demeanor and attitude on the witness stand.

There are good RCMP officers (though our local detachment does nothing to endear itself to the population) but this reflects badly on all of them.
I meant no offence and if i did i earnestly apologise. I don't expect you to understand. I agree the video looks bad to the untrained eye. I dont necessarily agree with everything the members did but it was within use of force guidelines. Happen its the guide lines that are wrong and the training that's flawed.

Last edited by dboy; Mar 1st 2009 at 10:43 am.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:35 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
People will not tell you what they really think of you - they are way too polite! It's nice to begin with, but I would much rather people were honest.

Get's ready to duck
You're hilarious, i love you, you're sooooo funny.

Err ok, can i just pay for my petrol please.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
They may not make you laugh but then I'm sure not much Canadian does.

So you probably don't like Red Green, Royal Canadian Air Farce, This Hour Has 22 Minutes, Rick Mercer Report, Just For Laughs either.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 11:55 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
So you probably don't like Red Green, Royal Canadian Air Farce, This Hour Has 22 Minutes, Rick Mercer Report, Just For Laughs either.
None of them make me laugh, Rick Mercer and that token Newfie woman cause me to lunge for the remote. Russell Peters is funny, have to agree with that.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 12:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
I too was ashamed to be a part of Canada that day, but for completely different reasons. I, and others like me, will always answer the call, regardless of what the public may think of us. We put our lives in harms way - we run in when others run out- we will do the best we can with
what limited information we have, what our training has prepared us for
and what ever resources are available to us, it’s what the public
expects and what we signed up to do. We know the risks and we accept,
even embrace them.

Maintiens le Droit
I think it's this kind of macho posturing and willful determination to be unaccountable that makes the police, and increasingly firemen, so distrusted by the public. It seems to me that if as a result of police action innocent people wind up dead the police have done their job badly. There's no need for a deep understanding of what a great sacrifice it is to go out everyday and bully people in order to grasp that it's a screw up. The force made things worse by lying about the incident but, even if they'd been candid, killing an innocent man is not a good day's work and is not excusable.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 12:19 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
It's not tasers per se, it's assumption that it is non-lethal when clearly it is lethal. I personally don't think resisting arrest is cause in itself for potentially lethal force to be used - you obviously think that it is, and we should just accepts a few deaths.

And not sure what your point that i've highlighted is - are you saying that whether or not is regrettable is up for debate?
Potentially lethal force? ALL force is potentially lethal. Of the total number of people tasered on a daily basis in Canada, how many have resulted in death? A TINY proportion i would think.

I'm not in law enforcement but i'm fully aware of the fact that anybody in a situation that may escalate any second needs to be able to make a split second decision that will possibly save themselves or other people from harm. Rightly or wrongly these decisions are made by humans and are liable to mistake.

My opinion is that generally if somebody is tasered, shot, or arrested with force, it's done for a reason. And as i've said above, ALL force is potentially lethal but i'd hate to see the option removed from officers.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 12:30 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Cell phone coverage is crap but cant be helped due to geography, size of the place and population densities.

Banks are the biggest rip of merchants out, all 5 big CDN banks I beleive are in the top 7 most profitable in the world - I guess this is also a good thing as with the current economic problems that has definitely protected us to a certain degree but still its only a certain degree.

As much as it says you must be fluent in English or French to get in here its amazing how many people can get a job in the GTA with a complete crap grasp of the English language to the point you cant understand them, if your going to move to a country learn the lingo!!

The OPP are good for nothing but speeding and parking tickets!! Nothing really else for them to do I suppose!!

Marretes - the worst known invention to man woman child or anyone in the Electrical industry are used here in lots of places from industry to household wiring!! What a stupid invention!!

Plumbing here is well behind the times, compression fittings arent that common place and have only really come about the last few years and still Canadians beleive soldering is the way to go!!

Real estate agents are a rip off, its the canadian mentality to have a buyer agent and a seller agent and that costs you at best 4-5% of the selling price paid for by the seller!! for sale by owner . com and others alike are around but the canadian mentality is slow to adopt it!!

Still you compare that to whats wrong with the UK and it feels like you are in Utopia here in Canada, out of the 35 countries Ive visited its by far the best on the planet and has so so much going for it!!
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think it's this kind of macho posturing and willful determination to be unaccountable that makes the police, and increasingly firemen, so distrusted by the public. It seems to me that if as a result of police action innocent people wind up dead the police have done their job badly. There's no need for a deep understanding of what a great sacrifice it is to go out everyday and bully people in order to grasp that it's a screw up. The force made things worse by lying about the incident but, even if they'd been candid, killing an innocent man is not a good day's work and is not excusable.
Funny, never saw myself as macho, I tended towards major crime which, with the exception of admin, is the least macho area of policing, as I'm very much a thinking copper really, or carpet cops as we are often dubbed, staring more at computer screens than violent offenders.

While i have experienced much negativity towards police, I have to say you have surprised me yet again on this site, i've never actually met someone who hates firefighters. I thought everyone loved them.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:43 pm

[QUOTE=Mikey B;7334451]

Real estate agents are a rip off, its the canadian mentality to have a buyer agent and a seller agent and that costs you at best 4-5% of the selling price paid for by the seller!! for sale by owner . com and others alike are around but the canadian mentality is slow to adopt it!!

Still you compare that to whats wrong with the UK and it feels like you are in Utopia here in Canada, out of the 35 countries Ive visited its

Totally agree with the real estate fees, especailly with the prices here in Vancouver. 50,000 plus dollars on a million dollar listing - for what, a few open houses and a MLS listing?
Old Mar 1st 2009, 5:13 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I wish Canadians were more supportive of their own culture. That's one thing Canadians could learn from ozzies and kiwis too.

rip off cell phone plans

i wish the schools had uniforms and i wish there were more single sex schools at high school level. on the other hand, i really like the flexibility of the schooling system here and that they seem willing to try new ideas.

um? can't think of anything else.

i am open minded about the Taser Incident. Innocent until proven guilty and all that.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 5:15 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

realtors: 1% etc. won't do better because full service realtors won't bring their clients to a 1% or sale by owner home. It's not the canadian 'mentality', it's just the way things are here.

Also, if you use a full service realtor you are protected against certain types of fraud legally whereas with sale by owner, for instance, if they fleece you, they fleece you. you have no recourse.

I am not a realtor. Promise
Old Mar 1st 2009, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

riosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
realtors: 1% etc. won't do better because full service realtors won't bring their clients to a 1% or sale by owner home. It's not the canadian 'mentality', it's just the way things are here.

Also, if you use a full service realtor you are protected against certain types of fraud legally whereas with sale by owner, for instance, if they fleece you, they fleece you. you have no recourse.

I am not a realtor. Promise
How is a realtor different to an estate agent in the UK? Seller pays the estate agents fees in the UK too.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 5:36 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I wish Canadians were more supportive of their own culture. That's one thing Canadians could learn from ozzies and kiwis too.
I wish this too, we have our Liberal Party to thank for that. All the PC and multicultural BS is taking its toll. I am not interested one iota in importing Asian, European or African cultures in Canada. That is what Asia, Europe and Africa are for. Multiculturalism is nothing more than modern day segregation. It discourages unity and creates ghetto's of single cultures rather than encourage unity and coming together. If someone from elsewhere is coming here than it is they who need to adapt, not everyone else. People also need to come to grips with what a secular society is and that nobody cares about what their religion is or whether they find something offensive or not. Some people can grasp this while it is lost on others.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

riosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
I wish this too, we have our Liberal Party to thank for that. All the PC and multicultural BS is taking its toll. I am not interested one iota in importing Asian, European or African cultures in Canada. That is what Asia, Europe and Africa are for. Multiculturalism is nothing more than modern day segregation. It discourages unity and creates ghetto's of single cultures rather than encourage unity and coming together. If someone from elsewhere is coming here than it is they who need to adapt, not everyone else. People also need to come to grips with what a secular society is and that nobody cares about what their religion is or whether they find something offensive or not. Some people can grasp this while it is lost on others.

I agree, sounds like the UK to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.