Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with Canada?

What's wrong with Canada?

Old Feb 28th 2009, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's wrong with Canada?

Originally Posted by woodworm
Poutine is crime...
(to my tastebuds)
Lol! Maybe I will just google it then!
Old Feb 28th 2009, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by act1980
Lol! Maybe I will just google it then!
YUCK!!!!!!!!! That is a crime!! It sounds horrific!!
Old Feb 28th 2009, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Candy001 has a spectacular aura aboutCandy001 has a spectacular aura aboutCandy001 has a spectacular aura about

What's wrong?
Most people don't realize until they get here -
if what you are leaving back home is pretty good - then why move - if it is for a better future - well then you have to give it a go and see for yourself.
Canada is a beautiful country - but cold in more than one way.
If you are leaving friends family - you will miss them - more than miss them - that's the #1 reason people return back some after 20-30yrs some even more.
In that time you have lost a lot - especially financially as when you come over here - the pound is doubled - going back well you can imagine - you practically loose -
What can you afford if you go back? even for a visit?
It is not greener on the other side in my opinion
Old Feb 28th 2009, 3:52 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Phone charges, homeless people, bank charges, crap driving, gangland violence, everywhere shutting early, interventionist government, institutional racism, jobsworth attitude, RCMP corruption, more homeless people.

Had a powder day at whistler on weds which kind of makes up for it all
RCMP corruption? As a member of the RCMP i'd really like you to support this comment.

Last edited by dboy; Feb 28th 2009 at 3:54 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 4:11 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
RCMP corruption? As a member of the RCMP i'd really like you to support this comment.
Does murder count? Anyway - just google "RCMP corruption" theres loads of it. Don't take it personally - it's endemic in all police forces.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 4:30 pm

Does murder count? Anyway - just google "RCMP corruption" theres loads of it. Don't take it personally - it's endemic in all police forces.

Really. Murder. What are you talking about? Don't fall in with the ranks of the rest of the misinformed on the taser incident - if that is what you referring to. Tragic - but not murder.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 4:36 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Really. Murder. What are you talking about? Don't fall in with the ranks of the rest of the misinformed on the taser incident - if that is what you referring to.
Have you not seen the video? I call it murder, you can call it what you like, however that poor guy is still very much dead and nobody is going to be prosecuted for it. I believe this to be highly immoral - you guys should be as accountable as everyone else.

Edit to add: I've actually been following this case quite closely - I note that one of the RCMP officers concerned has said that they would do the same again in the circumstances. I find this attitude utterly repellent - they killed an innocent person and they'd do the same again - jeez.

Last edited by Alan2005; Feb 28th 2009 at 4:43 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 4:51 pm

Have you not seen the video? I call it murder, you can call it what you like, however that poor guy is still very much dead and nobody is going to be prosecuted for it. I believe this to be highly immoral - you guys should be as accountable as everyone else.
WE ARE ACCOUNTABLE - Where is the outcry for our members that are murdered every year?

Prosecute for what? Crown Counsel - not the police noted their was no criminal wrong doing on the part of the police -murder - there was no intent to kill.

The taser is designed to take control without harm. The members never expected that to happen. I think the problem may be limited research in to the taser devices and that should be the focus and not the actions of the police.

I agree that the members could have taken a little longer to reason with the guy, but really you don't want to have a melt down at an airport in this day and age. Have you seen how he was behaving? The use of force was appropriate. Period.

Before tasers we had .............. let me think oh yes big sticks. I've personally seen tazers save lives .... i tasered a guy who was high on meth and was stabbing himself we were able to stop him from killing himself.

Anyway we are off topic from the thread.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 5:16 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

WE ARE ACCOUNTABLE - Where is the outcry for our members that are murdered every year?

Prosecute for what? Crown Counsel - not the police noted their was no criminal wrong doing on the part of the police -murder - there was no intent to kill.

The taser is designed to take control without harm. The members never expected that to happen. I think the problem may be limited research in to the taser devices and that should be the focus and not the actions of the police.

I agree that the members could have taken a little longer to reason with the guy, but really you don't want to have a melt down at an airport in this day and age. Have you seen how he was behaving? The use of force was appropriate. Period.

Before tasers we had .............. let me think oh yes big sticks. I've personally seen tazers save lives .... i tasered a guy who was high on meth and was stabbing himself we were able to stop him from killing himself.

Absolutely no way was the use of the taser appropriate. (Especially 5 TIMES) Nor was the behaviour of the officers. Please go back and refer to the official statements from the RCMP before the video was released, in which they lied incredibly about the whole incident from beginning to end. After 34 years in this country, this incident is the first time I have felt shame.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by startwin
Absolutely no way was the use of the taser appropriate. (Especially 5 TIMES) Nor was the behaviour of the officers. Please go back and refer to the official statements from the RCMP before the video was released, in which they lied incredibly about the whole incident from beginning to end. After 34 years in this country, this incident is the first time I have felt shame.
So, when did you become an expert on police use of force?

What had the members stockpiled him and killed him? Would they then be critiziced for not using the tazer to take control him without pain or injury as the tazer is supposed to do? I think there are a lot of questions that need to be answered about the devices - i certainly was not told that they could kill when i had one.

I agree the video looks bad - violence always does. Hindsight is 20 20. Police assess situations with the view of taking control in the context of police and public safety. We don't go work to fight or kill people. We (that is the police) go into situations to take control.

I don't know what I would have done in their shoes, but the taser was certainly an appropriate option.

Did the officers lie? Don't know, or were they mistaken. These members lives have been ruined by a public who paint them as killers- they were trying to do what they are paid to do - serve and protect.

The whole thing is a tragedy for everyone - but to call these guys murders...

We all know the name of Robert Dzikanski .. but who knows the name of Cst. Scott? Now that's murder:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew..._name=&no_ads=

Last edited by dboy; Feb 28th 2009 at 5:41 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by act1980
Cinnabon is ok though, no? Not sure what the topping they use is though but don't think it's cheese?
It's cream cheese or a cream cheese icing.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 5:52 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

So, when did you become an expert on police use of force?

What had the members stockpiled him and killed him? Would they then be critiziced for not using the tazer to take control him without pain or injury as the tazer is supposed to do? I think there are a lot of questions that need to be answered about the devices - i certainly was not told that they could kill when i had one.

I agree the video looks bad - violence always does. Hindsight is 20 20. Police assess situations with the view of taking control in the context of police and public safety. We don't go work to fight or kill people. We (that is the police) go into situations to take control.

I don't know what I would have done in their shoes, but the taser was certainly an appropriate option.

Did the officers lie? Don't know, or were they mistaken. These members lives have been ruined by a public who paint them as killers- they were trying to do what they are paid to do - serve and protect.

The whole thing is a tragedy for everyone - but to call these guys murders...
The reputation of the force has certainly been tarnished over the past few years which is a great shame. The former commissioner and deputy were turfed for their "management style". The lady is question was certainly less than candid. I have some good friends who are retired form the force, a commisiond officer and a staff sergeant among them and all are so sad about the whole mess. There are seven active RCMP officers living in my Nova Scotia neighbourhood with whome I am acquainted and though they don't talk about it to outsiders thay are not happy campers. I know this from my retired RCMP friends Then there was the female officer down on the south shore who was relieved of her duties for discharging her side arm into the wall of her apartment several times in a fit of rage over a love affair. Would you trust someone so unstable ? There are good and bad in all walks of life and one cannot generalize but the level of trust in the RCMP isn't what it used to be. A great shame.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 6:01 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

It is certainly waaaay over the top to describe these officers as murderers. If they were intent on killing they would have used their guns. The whole point of the tazer is that it is supposed to be non-lethal.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 6:14 pm

And yet he's still dead.

You are joking right? I HAVE seen the way he was behaving - I watched it. Was the reality different? All I saw was an obviously distressed man who was intimidated and then killed by four gung-ho RCMP officers. Are you telling me one polish old man is match for FOUR of your finest?

Partly

Originally Posted by startwin
Yep - everytime I see way they taser him on tv, I am outraged.

No it wasn't - that much is obvious. I really hope you wouldn't have tasered an innocent man if you had three of your large mates with you.

Yes they lied, and they would have carried on lying if they could. Much like the mendes officers in the UK did - a pretty much identical case except the security camera 'wasn't working'

We all know the name of Robert Dzikanski .. but who knows the name of Cst. Scott? Now that's murder:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew..._name=&no_ads=
Yes - agreed.

On the subject of tasers - they should just be outlawed. If you must be armed, stick with guns - everyone knows they kill so they won't be used so indiscriminately.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is certainly waaaay over the top to describe these officers as murderers. If they were intent on killing they would have used their guns. The whole point of the tazer is that it is supposed to be non-lethal.
A man died and his killers are free men.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.