Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

what's wrong with Brampton?

what's wrong with Brampton?

Old Jun 13th 2011, 2:22 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what's wrong with Brampton?

Originally Posted by dbd33
If I may, I'd like to make an argument in favour of the position of MarylandNed's daughter. It seems to me that an objective in attending a university, especially in Canada, is to meet people who will be useful in one's career. This is the crux of the "networking" we see mentioned so much on this board. If the university student population is largely Asian this isn't going to work as well as it would if one attended a school with a significant cradle population. For that reason, I suggest that York and the UofT will not serve future bankers and lawyers as well as, say, McGill and Dalhousie.
45% of the first year intake are not a visible minority. How many "Asians" must the UofT get rid of to reverse the white flight of those who feel swamped by other cultures?

Surely this is the whole point of Toronto itself. The different neighbourhoods, all characterised by the ethnicity of those who colonised them and made them home. If everyone was forced to "integrate" and leave their customs and culture behind we would be left with a city of cinquante drinking hockey watchers. That is all well and good but no use when you decide you want Portuguese food for dinner.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Oh I'm sure people can nit-pit until they are blue in the face. Primarily, noticibly, in large part Indian. All are, IMO, fair descriptions of Brampton and really, there's not much else to say about the place.

The stats prove that just over half of first year students are in a visable minority at UofT. That still leaves 45%, yet your daughter felt claustrophobic? She should move to Brampton then.
The demographics at the open day were not representative of the numbers you quote. She attended an open day for science students so it's likely that the demographics in that faculty differ from others. It's also possible that Asians (South and East) are just more likely to attend open days. Regardless the numbers were overwhelming.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 2:23 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Actually, she loved Toronto and recognized it as a very multicultural city. The demographics at the U of T open day concerned her but that was only one factor in her turning down an offer from U of T. I must admit I was also very surprised by the demographics at the U of T open day - although it did occur to me that perhaps this was not representative of the student body as a whole. Nevertheless kids make decisions based on criteria that parents don't fully understand at times.
Crosspost.

But the only one you mentioned until now.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

45% of the first year intake are not a visible minority. How many "Asians" must the UofT get rid of to reverse the white flight of those who feel swamped by other cultures?

Surely this is the whole point of Toronto itself. The different neighbourhoods, all characterised by the ethnicity of those who colonised them and made them home. If everyone was forced to "integrate" and leave their customs and culture behind we would be left with a city of cinquante drinking hockey watchers. That is all well and good but no use when you decide you want Portuguese food for dinner.
You confuse "integrate" with "assimilate". By integration, I meant interaction with other cultures - sharing your own culture and enjoying others. I in no way wish people to deny/lose/hide their cultures. I believe in multiculturalism and have friends from many different cultures - as do my children. I've seen the benefits of true multicultuarlism. I lived in Toronto for 7 years and, in my opinion, it's the city where multiculturalism works best.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Crosspost.

But the only one you mentioned until now.
I've no idea what you just said - sorry.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 2:32 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You confuse "integrate" with "assimilate". By integration, I meant interaction with other cultures - sharing your own culture and enjoying others. I in no way wish people to deny/lose/hide their cultures. I believe in multiculturalism and have friends from many different cultures - as do my children. I've seen the benefits of true multicultuarlism. I lived in Toronto for 7 years and, in my opinion, it's the city where multiculturalism works best.

Sorry, too late. You've already demonstrated your deep seated racism.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 2:33 am
Born again atheist

I've no idea what you just said - sorry.
Look at the bolded bit in the quote from your post in mine.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 2:34 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Surely this is the whole point of Toronto itself. The different neighbourhoods, all characterised by the ethnicity of those who colonised them and made them home.
That's the best thing about Toronto. The aspiration though of students is, one hopes, to influence the future of society and that means having access to those in power. That means finding a way to talk to the children of the affluent, the connected cradle families, the people who will run the country in the future. Dithering with immigrants won't help in that regard. Where do the children of MPs go? That's what the ambitious student should ask.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I honestly don't know how to respond to this rubbish. Students all over commute from home and go home after class. Can you be more explicit about what you are suggesting here?

The rest of this post is utter racist crap. And yes, you are a racist. Or just stupid.
Er - no, I am not a racist. I have friends of many races and cultures. So do my kids. However, that does not mean that I am unable to comment on immigrant or cultural issues. And I'm not stupid either. You're the person throwing the insults around. If you have something intelligent to add, then add it because I haven't seen anything yet.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 2:36 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

On the UofT, I have a colleague whose daughter just turned down a place there, in favour of McGill, due to the percieved uniculturalism of the UofT. That gave me pause because the family's from Macao and is ethnically Chinese.

Toronto and area though is a series of islands of uniculture, Little Indian, Greektown, Koreatown, Little Italy, Woodbridge, Brampton, Markham. I don't see that changing. Multiculturalism is, to me, many fractious communities visiting their old racisms on a new country. I think it works here due to absence of a "Canadian" culture, there's nothing to assimilate to and so nothing is lost if a place becomes the new Latvia or new wherever.
It is right now. It will be very interesting to see what it looks like 100 years from now. My feeling is a lot of the fractious old country baggage will have largely gone due to lack of context.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Look at the bolded bit in the quote from your post in mine.
I did but I guess you're just too clever by half because I have no idea WTF you're on about. Sorry.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 2:54 am
Born again atheist

I did but I guess you're just too clever by half because I have no idea WTF you're on about. Sorry.
Oh, never mind. I've only been paying half attention to this thread anyway because i've been watching the best German basketball player ever, Dirk Nowitski, and that rather Aryan looking Jason Kidd and their multicultural buddies, kick the butts of those darkish players from Maimi.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh, never mind. I've only been paying half attention to this thread anyway because i've been watching the best German basketball player ever, Dirk Nowitski, and that rather Aryan looking Jason Kidd and their multicultural buddies, kick the butts of those darkish players from Maimi.
Maybe one day their grandkids will hear about that during "White History Month"?
Old Jun 13th 2011, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Pendonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johnh009
Try Georgetown, very close to Brampton but populated with people of mainly British descent. It is also quite a safe area surrounded by nice countryside.
Thanks John, I'll look into that. Should know this week whether or not the whole move is on the cards.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Blendin is an unknown quantity at this point

I suggest that York and the UofT will not serve future bankers and lawyers as well as, say, McGill and Dalhousie.
Isn't UofT considered the top Canadian school for finance ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.