Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

?Whats work life balance like?

?Whats work life balance like?

Old Mar 29th 2017, 9:22 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ?Whats work life balance like?

Originally Posted by JamesM
Talking about beer in the Canadian work place is a faux pas.

One is not supposed to "unwind" but carry the charade of being busy.
It all depends on the workplace, I suppose. My office has a beer fridge. If we've had enough of the day on a Friday (or occasionally on any other day of the week) we'll decide that we need a couple of ales and a $10-buys-a-place poker session. That, and lunchtimes are frequently spent discussing tactics for our office Clash of Clans campaign...
Old Mar 29th 2017, 9:37 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Talking about beer in the Canadian work place is a faux pas.

One is not supposed to "unwind" but carry the charade of being busy.
We were not allowed beer in my old office.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 10:52 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
It all depends on the workplace, I suppose. My office has a beer fridge. If we've had enough of the day on a Friday (or occasionally on any other day of the week) we'll decide that we need a couple of ales and a $10-buys-a-place poker session. That, and lunchtimes are frequently spent discussing tactics for our office Clash of Clans campaign...
You must be at a Tech start up these days.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

I have found it very different here compared to the UK, more social but still work hard, and Australia, great buzz around the office.

My office when I properly started my first day, you could hear a pin drop. Not sure if it the industry I am in but software developers in my office are way more quiet and introverted than the UK or AU. There are exceptions of course.

I did see a number of comments and you tube videos that people in and around Toronto are very work focused and it is hard to meet people. I also have confirmation from a colleague who relocated here from Asia, bubbly personality, and after 3 years in the GTA she still has no real friends, if any.

Since the GTA has very little public transport everyone basically drives, and the GTA is so spread out, massive industrial park in some parts. The car park at my office, will dwarf many football grounds in the UK. This would make going out for a beer after work a bit harder. I am actually not sure where the closed pub is to my office, rarely step out as everything is so far away to walk too.