Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

whats the weirdest thing someone has said to you about moving...

whats the weirdest thing someone has said to you about moving...

Old Oct 11th 2011, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

foxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to all
Default Re: whats the weirdest thing someone has said to you about moving...

When I decided to move to Vancouver on my own I had various comments:

"it's cold there you know?" - on the year that London had the coldest winter. You would think that London is basking in sunshine 364 days a year from the way people were speaking!!

"I'm not saying goodbye because you'll be back in a year" - this person seriously thought I was changing my life for an extended holiday - he still believes in his heart that I will miss London so much I'll be back any day now

about a new 'relationship' "so if he wants to be serious, you'll be staying then?" - err so I should give up all the plans that I made for the past 4 years, in case someone wants to have a relationship with me???

other statements have been on the lines of - you're being stupid, you don't know what you're doing, how are you going to earn money. Just really obvious stuff.

For those that are moving it continues when you get to Canada. When I got a job, when I moved into my own place.....

I have been back to London and friends and family simply can't believe that I could be happier starting a new life somewhere else.

I just smile and don't react, at the end of the day it's my life and I shall do what I see fit with it! I love Canada at the moment - I've been here nearly 8 months so far (wow that went quick!) and have no complaints!
Old Oct 12th 2011, 1:23 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Mainly from OH's (ex) work colleagues 'You'll never do it!'

From most of my ex work colleagues I got advice on things to do and best wishes and your lucky, good lucks etc.

From one person I got 'But they drive so slowly there, how will you cope with it?'
Old Oct 12th 2011, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

julie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nice

My mother in-law said you hear of other people's sons going to work abroad, but you never expect it to be your own!

Last edited by julie2; Oct 12th 2011 at 4:00 am.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

familyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nice

i Just love the 'its cold in Canada' comment.

ERM.....i live in the Uk its cold 360 days a year!!! At least Canada has 4 seasons and not 1 long winter with a week of summer!!

Some people!!
Old Oct 12th 2011, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

"..ok, fine...leave us on our own here and let us die all alone...one day someone will find us dead and they'll have us buried..."..from both my parents!

"...i swear...if you leave...i hope you will never be able to settle down wherevr you go...."...thats from my dad!

"...you what? your moving out, and dumping mum and dad?..whats wrong with you?!"....from my brother, who himself "dumped" his parents and moved to the usa many years ago!!

"....well, i dont care...we're selling up and moving to the countryside...bigger house..no hassle..."...from my sibling who lives nearby...who wanted to move away so that he didnt have the responsibility of looking after my parents!

thats what my family said....on the other hand, my friends were over the moon!!

funny world we live in, innit?

Originally Posted by foxytri
When I decided to move to Vancouver on my own I had various comments:

"it's cold there you know?" - on the year that London had the coldest winter. You would think that London is basking in sunshine 364 days a year from the way people were speaking!!

"I'm not saying goodbye because you'll be back in a year" - this person seriously thought I was changing my life for an extended holiday - he still believes in his heart that I will miss London so much I'll be back any day now

about a new 'relationship' "so if he wants to be serious, you'll be staying then?" - err so I should give up all the plans that I made for the past 4 years, in case someone wants to have a relationship with me???

other statements have been on the lines of - you're being stupid, you don't know what you're doing, how are you going to earn money. Just really obvious stuff.

For those that are moving it continues when you get to Canada. When I got a job, when I moved into my own place.....

I have been back to London and friends and family simply can't believe that I could be happier starting a new life somewhere else.

I just smile and don't react, at the end of the day it's my life and I shall do what I see fit with it! I love Canada at the moment - I've been here nearly 8 months so far (wow that went quick!) and have no complaints!
Old Oct 12th 2011, 3:57 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by familyof4
i Just love the 'its cold in Canada' comment.

ERM.....i live in the Uk its cold 360 days a year!!! At least Canada has 4 seasons and not 1 long winter with a week of summer!!

Some people!!
I know. People who generalise about the weather in that way are idiots
Old Oct 12th 2011, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julius smith
"..ok, fine...leave us on our own here and let us die all alone...one day someone will find us dead and they'll have us buried..."..from both my parents!

"...i swear...if you leave...i hope you will never be able to settle down wherevr you go...."...thats from my dad!

"...you what? your moving out, and dumping mum and dad?..whats wrong with you?!"....from my brother, who himself "dumped" his parents and moved to the usa many years ago!!

"....well, i dont care...we're selling up and moving to the countryside...bigger house..no hassle..."...from my sibling who lives nearby...who wanted to move away so that he didnt have the responsibility of looking after my parents!

Wow... that's pretty tough all that guilt trip - laid on pretty thick.

Is it going to stop you doing it? or help the decision that you are defo doing the right thing?
Old Oct 12th 2011, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

you know what, geordie lass? all those comments, laid on pretty thick as you say rightly, really, really did get us down when we got to canada at that time...i mean, its a massive move as its is, moving somewhere where you know no-one, etc etc and on top of that stress, we had the extra baggage piled onto us from our family!

so yes, it did get us down, and it didnt stop when we were in canada...so we ended up coming back, because of the constant backbiting and innuendo going around.
but after having a real hard think about it, and seeing how the rest of them were enjoying life to the full, we thought "stuff 'em all...we're doing what we want to do, no matter what..."

but they all ruined our lives...and we shuld have known better...but there you go! anyway, luckily the wife and i manage to have half a larf about it...no good crying, is it?
it taught us the biggest lesson in life thus far...do what you want to do, within reason, and to hell with everybody, and i mean everybody....its your life, you run it as you want, not as someone else wants...period!

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Wow... that's pretty tough all that guilt trip - laid on pretty thick.

Is it going to stop you doing it? or help the decision that you are defo doing the right thing?
Old Oct 12th 2011, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

you know what, geordie lass? all those comments, laid on pretty thick as you say rightly, really, really did get us down when we got to canada at that time...i mean, its a massive move as its is, moving somewhere where you know no-one, etc etc and on top of that stress, we had the extra baggage piled onto us from our family!

so yes, it did get us down, and it didnt stop when we were in canada...so we ended up coming back, because of the constant backbiting and innuendo going around.
but after having a real hard think about it, and seeing how the rest of them were enjoying life to the full, we thought "stuff 'em all...we're doing what we want to do, no matter what..."

but they all ruined our lives...and we shuld have known better...but there you go! anyway, luckily the wife and i manage to have half a larf about it...no good crying, is it?
it taught us the biggest lesson in life thus far...do what you want to do, within reason, and to hell with everybody, and i mean everybody....its your life, you run it as you want, not as someone else wants...period!
so you went out there to live and came back but you've decided to go back again?

Good on you. Do what's right for you and your immediate family...

Last edited by Geordie Lass; Oct 12th 2011 at 4:45 pm. Reason: forgotten grammar
Old Oct 12th 2011, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

matt_t is on a distinguished road

Bitter and twisted arn't the words. I bet they have never been to anywhere in Canada? Or even travelled? You can only use that kind of negativity as energy to succeed and prove them wrong.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by matt_t
Bitter and twisted arn't the words. I bet they have never been to anywhere in Canada? Or even travelled? You can only use that kind of negativity as energy to succeed and prove them wrong.
+1

But it's also really sad that they are trying to make them feel this way too isn't it? You can choose your friends eh?
Old Oct 12th 2011, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Angry Re: whats the weirdest thing someone has said to you about moving...

precisely!

to an outsider, these responses from my family seem horrendous, but thats what happened!
so you can imagine the effect it had on us, when we were in such a tenuos situation....

and its no wonder that we moved back...with all that going on..!

but this is the punch line me and the wife always laugh about.....when we got home from our flight back to the uk, mum opened the door, looked at us and said..."...oh, youre back? we were getting used to not having you all here...you should have stayed there...".......!!!!

Originally Posted by matt_t
Old Oct 12th 2011, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

"...oh, youre back? we were getting used to not having you all here...you should have stayed there...".......!!!!

I think I would have gotten on the first available flight back to Canada....

Last edited by Geordie Lass; Oct 12th 2011 at 6:01 pm. Reason: smilie not working
Old Oct 12th 2011, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

matt_t is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
I think I would have gotten on the first available flight back to Canada....
+1 . And Julius get yourself back to Canada (if its that easy). They are the only selfish ones in all if this.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 6:35 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by __TJ__
Yeah re getting rid of the dog, so many people have asked what we are doing with him... Erm paying thru the nose to bring him with us! he is a family pet and only marginally less unthinkable than leaving one of the kids behind! He is my fur-baby!
Me too, good on you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.