Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Whats the quickest way to get over there and work ??

Wikiposts

Whats the quickest way to get over there and work ??

Old Sep 3rd 2007, 1:55 am
Just Joined

James80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Whats the quickest way to get over there and work ??

Just wondering what would be the quickest way for me to get over to canada and get working ?

Would my best bet be to apply for a working holiday visa and then search for a vacancy ? or are holiday visa's for people like gap year students who take low paid jobs?

Would i struggle to get proper work without a permanent visa?.....

Im pretty confused as to which would be the best way to actually get over there and get working within the next year to 18months

I dont want to apply for citizenship just yet.... just move out there for a few years, rent a house, get a job in my field of work (IT)....

If no jobs were out there in my proffesion i'd start at the bottom of the ladder and work my way up again. (apprentice plumber, jioner etc)

What options do i have ?

Last edited by James80; Sep 3rd 2007 at 2:07 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats the quickest way to get over there and work ??

I suppose it depends on how experienced you are for a start, if you have been working in your field for a number of years then it may make you more attractive. It may also be different across the provences, depending on their needs.

Look for a job first with someone who will apply for a LMO (Labour Market Opinion), then apply for a temporary work permit and come over. (I actually applied for the work permit at Toronto airport, this made it quicker but more risky if you forget something. I was told that the LMO with the job offer was the most important thing by the immigration officer).

I'm an engineer and I searched for a handful of companies in the same field as myself over the internet, I sent my resume (which is a different layout to our CV's) and told them that I was visiting the country about a month or two later and I was lucky to be asked to an interview. The company then applied for the LMO and I was here 5 months later. It took me 7 months in total and I plan to apply for PR when I re-apply for my second work permit (most first WP's are for 1 year).

Maybe you could try some agencies as well.

Last edited by PeterF; Sep 3rd 2007 at 2:47 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 2:46 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Quickest way = find a job with an employer that will sponsor you through the PNP program, or if you've not got skills that are likely to enable that to happen you could look into running your own business and apply for a work permit to become self-employed. Both options could have you out here within 4 months.

Work permits range from 1-3yrs. I'm self-employed and was issued a 3yr WP. It's at immigrations discretion as to what length of visa they issue.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 7:37 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Could the self employed option be used to be a IT contractor?
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 8:37 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Could the self employed option be used to be a IT contractor?
Only if you're able to convince immigration with your 5yr business plan that your company and its services are likely to provide "substantial benefit" to the local community (that's the key phrase that needs to be proven). Normally they're loking for the $ value you're investing in the business, how many job opportunities you're likely to create (not including your own) and what benefit the location you're moving to is going to receive.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:12 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

James80, it depends what your line of specialization within the IT field is.

Some software developers are in such demand in Canada that they don't need an LMO (Labour Market Opinion) in order to get a work permit.

Most, but not all, young people who come on BUNAC (working holiday) visas have relatively menial jobs in the tourism and hospitality industries.

There are exceptions, however. A BE member called The Escapea, who is in the IT field, came to Victoria, BC on a BUNAC visa, and then successfully applied for BC's Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). I forget what her area of specialization is. I have a vague recollection that it is GIS.

It's okay to come to Canada as a skilled tradesperson. However, I don't think the notion of coming over here as an apprentice is realistic. There have been some discussion threads here about a company that claims to organize trade studies at a college in Vancouver and then arrange apprenticeships for the graduates of that program. The company seems to charge an arm and a leg, and I don't know whether or not it delivers. I must say the whole scheme sounds very dodgy to me. We've had a couple of BE members who said they were going to give it a go, but I don't remember hearing back from them as to whether it worked out or not.

You really have to plough through the information on immigration and job hunting. There are other sources, of course, but I think quite a good starting point is the Wiki section of the BE website. I suggest you read the articles on Canadian immigration and on job hunting. Please do yourself a favour and read those articles and really try to take on board what they say. There are cultural differences between the UK and Canada, and those differences affect the job hunting process.

All the best in your quest.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 5:24 am
Just Joined

James80 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll be spending the next few days digesting the wiki section

cheers
Old Sep 4th 2007, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

Good Luck to you and I hope your dreams work out.

Karla x x x