Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What's Oakville Ontario like?

What's Oakville Ontario like?

Old Jul 18th 2007, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Grendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really nice
Default Re: What's Oakville Ontario like?

I don't know if he's been mentioned in other threads, but if you're thinking of living in Oakville/Burlington, make sure you talk to realtor Bob Watson at www.oakvillebythelake.com

I can't praise him highly enough. An expat Scouser who's been in Canada for years, he couldn't do more for us when we went on a recce trip. Even though he knew we weren't in a position to buy as we had only just applied for PR, he took us on numerous house viewings and gave up the best part of a Sunday to drive us around Oakville and Burlington, showing us the main attractions, places to avoid, and so on.

He's the best realtor I've met, and British ones can't even come close. Although we've now decided that Ontario is not for us, we'll always be grateful for the time he spent with us and the information he passed on. If only all estate agents were like him...
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

tonster is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stephaniegeorgia
It looks nice - and my hubby would have to commute to Brampton for work...Is it a nice area?

If this thread has been done already - can someone post a link so i can have a read...Any info on Oakville would be good - thanks
We live in Burlington (have a house for sale too!) We love it and moved to another house in Burlington.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

tonster is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grendel
I don't know if he's been mentioned in other threads, but if you're thinking of living in Oakville/Burlington, make sure you talk to realtor Bob Watson at www.oakvillebythelake.com

I can't praise him highly enough. An expat Scouser who's been in Canada for years, he couldn't do more for us when we went on a recce trip. Even though he knew we weren't in a position to buy as we had only just applied for PR, he took us on numerous house viewings and gave up the best part of a Sunday to drive us around Oakville and Burlington, showing us the main attractions, places to avoid, and so on.

He's the best realtor I've met, and British ones can't even come close. Although we've now decided that Ontario is not for us, we'll always be grateful for the time he spent with us and the information he passed on. If only all estate agents were like him...
Yes, be careful of what realtors you use. Make sure they will work for you, not just themselves/sellers. Our buying agent was a nice guy but useless at negotiating a good deal. We used a different guy to sell because of that and he might as well be doing nothing!
Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

caththecanuck is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved to Oakville in December and we had no idea of the area either... the town is pretty and seems to have a nice community to it, there are people on here and who live here who say that it is not a great place, but we quite like it.
The town is clean and they regularly put on special events.. the Jazz festival is on in a couple of weeks (just in time for my parents to visit..)
The shopping downtown Oakville is great too, lots of cute little stores - nice home furnishings - cute. The restaurants are also good and plenty of them.
We are currently renting in Bronte which is a great area - becoming quite THE place to buy apparently and nice as it is right on the lake (which is why we chose it) However I would agree that East would be better for your husbands commute.
We like it here, being just 35 minutes outside T.O on the GO train is easy for a great night out and fabulous shopping too.

We are looking to buy soon and we will probably head east of oakville too as my OH works downtown T.O and the highways are evil in the rush hour (and I mean EVIL), I work at the local hospital and everyone has been so friendly and nice that I can't say a bad word.

Good luck on your adventure and if you need any help/info or want to meet up give us a shout.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

crosswire is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stephaniegeorgia
It looks nice - and my hubby would have to commute to Brampton for work...Is it a nice area?

If this thread has been done already - can someone post a link so i can have a read...Any info on Oakville would be good - thanks
Here the thread I made on Oakville
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316559