Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

whats the food like in canada?

whats the food like in canada?

Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats the food like in canada?

Originally Posted by MillieF
Souvy, yes, dbd, is right it is all in the timing and practice... since I've moved to Canada...my kitchen is awaiting restoration and I can't afford the lamb! However, you should par boil your spuds (a good chipping potato is best for roasties) at high boil for ten mins, then drain off the water and shake the pan a bit to roughen up the edges, they need to be pretty dry. Put a heavy bottomed roasting dish on the hob, and put a good lob of oil in it...I used to use Goose fat, but I can't get it here, so I use Duck fat here, or I have used Colza, and when it's hot pop your spuds in and brown them very quickly for a couple of minutes, then put the pan in the oven and 50 minutes later you will have great roasties.
Or, pour some oil (melted lard would be ideal, canola will do) in a metal bowl, dump some spices in (whichever combined mix you fancy), add the spuds and toss them so as to coat them before tipping them into the roasting pan.

(I too am now starving!)
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:49 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Or, pour some oil (melted lard would be ideal, canola will do) in a metal bowl, dump some spices in (whichever combined mix you fancy), add the spuds and toss them so as to coat them before tipping them into the roasting pan.

(I too am now starving!)
Can the spuds be dipped in honey-Dijon?
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Can the spuds be dipped in honey-Dijon?
I don't see why not. Oil, mustard, toss them to coat, could be great. I'd make some that way and some with just salt, oil, pepper and eat the ones that tasted best.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:54 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyn1972
Hi
Probably setting myself up here lol but is the food similar to the uk.? Roast dinners etc lol anything I should bring that you cant get ?
I gave up bothering long ago with what's in the UK and what's in Canada. I think the day we arrived. I used to bring treats back for the family from wherever I went, but not specifically from the UK.

We have not starved and cook food at home, so I guess it is not that different. We often go to grocery stores. I have never got into all this going out and shooting your own, grow your own, brew your own hooch. Seems like way too much effort. I did try dive bombing a moose some years ago, but the bugger moved and I missed, nearly hit a tree in the process.

Living off the land seems to have gone by the wayside, I guess there are only so many roots and berries one can take.

I don't give a rats about the price of cheese, although the rats seem to like it, caught a whopper the other day with $5 worth of cheese on a $2 rat trap.

The price of wine and whether you can get gravy granules or squash is of no interest either. Tell a Canadian you want squash and you'll get a vegetable.

I don't shop in the 'British Stores', there is nothing I miss enough to pay those prices.

Move to another country, embrace it for what it is.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

lyn1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lagotoz
We're in Vancouver (Kitsilano). You can bring some food goods over, have a look on the CBSA website (Canada Border Services). I wish I'd brought a crate of coffee and a huge box of Walkers Cheese & Onion crisps!! Not missing anything else (yet). Food is definitely more expensive here but I believe that depends on province and what items the government subsidizes, the cost is balanced by lifestyle though as recreation is much cheaper.
We will try anything once do you just put coffee in suitcase then ? Canada sounds such a beautiful place

Last edited by lyn1972; Aug 22nd 2013 at 3:59 pm. Reason: forgot a word
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:00 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyn1972
We will try anything once do you just put coffee in suitcase then ? Canada sounds such a beautiful
I would leave it in the jar, otherwise you may get a CBSA dog sniffing around your suitcase, then a back room and rubber glove job!
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:00 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Another couple of tips to make the "perfect" roast. If you do make your own gravy, which you should, is to use a red wine to deglaze the dish the meat was cooked in. While scraping all the nice bits of burnt stuff into the wine, let it reduce right down, to a third or a half of the original volume. You can chop and mush the onion you roasted with the beef into this mix. Add a bit of flour to thicken and add the water you cooked the vegetables in. Drink the remaining wine during this process.

The other tip is to not use supermarket vegetables. Instead, go to a farmers market and purchase their produce, as it often contains an unusual additive called "flavour". Peas and carrots go well with beef but I'd probably save the sprouts for a roasted bird. Instead, do a cauliflower cheese. If you can afford the cheese.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lagotoz
We have Shaw cable here in Vancouver but so far haven't worked out the channels worth watching and really miss UK TV (never thought we'd say that!). We've resorted to NetFlix.
Would that be the "UK TV" with all the imported American sit-coms and crime shows?
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Move to another country, embrace it for what it is.
Just out of interest Aviator, if/when you lived in Britain did you only ever eat British food and never try any other form of cuisine (i.e. Chinese, Indian, Italian, French, etc. etc. etc.)?
Must we live on a diet of only Canadian food now we live here, according to you?
Or can we embrace some parts of Canadian life and still indulge in things from another country along the way?
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Greenhill
Another couple of tips to make the "perfect" roast. If you do make your own gravy, which you should, is to use a red wine to deglaze the dish the meat was cooked in. While scraping all the nice bits of burnt stuff into the wine, let it reduce right down, to a third or a half of the original volume. You can chop and mush the onion you roasted with the beef into this mix. Add a bit of flour to thicken and add the water you cooked the vegetables in. Drink the remaining wine during this process.

The other tip is to not use supermarket vegetables. Instead, go to a farmers market and purchase their produce, as it often contains an unusual additive called "flavour". Peas and carrots go well with beef but I'd probably save the sprouts for a roasted bird. Instead, do a cauliflower cheese. If you can afford the cheese.
Is there farmers markets in south edmonton?
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:04 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
It's probably better in Calgary, the lobsters are shipped live and the beef is going to be prime. I saw a travelogue that included a trip to a 'destination' seafood cafe in NS and I wouldn't mind going there at all, I'm a lobster fan! We used to have lobster night at the bar back in the '80s, get cases flown in from Pictou Island Fisherman's Co-op and boil them up out on the roof on Coleman stoves. Iirc $25 paid for 2 big lobsters and a bottle of red. That was a great event to volunteer at the bar as we got the leftover lobsters.
You can order live lobster online from Clearwater seafoods, headquartered in Bedford NS. They have large pounds where lobsters are kept in very cold water, effectively in stasis. When you order, they pack up with ice gel packs & send via courier. It's all rather clever. https://www.clearwater.ca/StoreFront...x?categoryid=3

Of course, hereabouts, one can buy fresh lobster in the supermarket from a big tank. Personally I don't see the attraction but each to their own.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Would that be the "UK TV" with all the imported American sit-coms and crime shows?
Oh yes those ones would be good crime shows anyway
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Just out of interest Aviator, if/when you lived in Britain did you only ever eat British food and never try any other form of cuisine (i.e. Chinese, Indian, Italian, French, etc. etc. etc.)?
Must we live on a diet of only Canadian food now we live here, according to you?
Or can we embrace some parts of Canadian life and still indulge in things from another country along the way?
Love chinese and indian and italian ...... all available I hope
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:09 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: whats the food like in canada?

Originally Posted by caretaker
It's probably better in Calgary, the lobsters are shipped live and the beef is going to be prime. I saw a travelogue that included a trip to a 'destination' seafood cafe in NS and I wouldn't mind going there at all, I'm a lobster fan! We used to have lobster night at the bar back in the '80s, get cases flown in from Pictou Island Fisherman's Co-op and boil them up out on the roof on Coleman stoves. Iirc $25 paid for 2 big lobsters and a bottle of red. That was a great event to volunteer at the bar as we got the leftover lobsters.
You'd love the annual steak and lobster bash which we have every June at my local flying club. For the princely sum of $20 you get you a decent sized lobster, an 8 oz organic N Y steak and all the trimmings, including deserts. Beer is $2 but you have to bring your own wine. Attendance was down a little this year, we only catered for 166 !

BTW lobster is $6 a lb at the local Superstore this week.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Aviator;10864054]I would leave it in the jar, otherwise you may get a CBSA dog sniffing around your suitcase, then a back room and rubber glove

rubber glove cant say id like that lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.