Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

whats the food like in canada?

whats the food like in canada?

Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats the food like in canada?

Originally Posted by lyn1972
Love chinese and indian and italian ...... all available I hope
Of course! There are a large amount of different nationalities here and all bring their own cultures, and cuisines with them.
Just an observation - not a criticism, before I get jumped all over - I do find that the equivalent version of say for example a Chinese dish here may be slightly different to the one you have experienced in Britain.
I had the same experience in Australia too - not necessarily better or worse but different to what you were used to. After 6+ years in Aus I am kinda missing the Australian/Chinese chicken curry due to the large amount of veggies they pile in there.
Originally I wasn't keen but now I love curried broccoli. Yummmm. Chinese I have tried over here so far don't seem to do that. May have to add some in myself.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
I did. And throughout my service life.
My, you sound like an adventurous person willing to embrace and experience new cultures.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:38 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
I get sky tv in mexico (my winter home) its mexican sky,i know canadian friends brought their shaw dish with them to mexico and get all the canadian tv they want,so could be an option ,just need the satellite positioned or hook up the internet to tv.
you may be using the sky satellite dish to pick up channels but you are not getting the european sky service

http://www.sdsdigital.co.uk/Satellite_Footprints.html

Getting Canadian channels in Mexico is a posibility depending on how eccentric the orbit of the broadcasting satellites is ,
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Hucards is a jewel in the roughHucards is a jewel in the roughHucards is a jewel in the roughHucards is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by neilcumming
I get sky tv in mexico (my winter home) its mexican sky,i know canadian friends brought their shaw dish with them to mexico and get all the canadian tv they want,so could be an option ,just need the satellite positioned or hook up the internet to tv.
This reminds me of the good old days back in the late 90's/early 2000's when so many Canadians were buying Direct tv equipment in the US then using the gray area in the laws to watch free American tv. The canadian providers hated it but they couldn't stop it. The gov't said something along the lines of direct tv isn't allowed to provide service for Canadians so even though people were watching for free they weren't stealing it. Direct tv eventually developed better technology to stop the practice. Now Canadians right on the border (think Windsor) are installing antennas to get the free digital stations from the US. Again the only complainers are the canadian providers with their inferior service but high prices. Some even have a US postal address to legally watch direct tv.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
I don't think Aviator is suggesting that we eschew British food and culture, totally. .
Nope, going by post 82 I think that is exactly what he is saying!

Apparently he never ever ate anything other than British food when he was there (must have been a bit limiting to say the least! ).
And now he is in Canada is proposing people here should not be missing anything British (or non-Canadian) and live on Canadian food only.
Sounds like a dinner party at his house would be a real blast!
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold

Try the box.bz for english telly. We get all the soaps, documentaries and watch news at 10 every night! We watch very little Canadian telly.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Yes but in Calgary isn't "surf & turf" fish fingers and bologna ?

Here in N S it's steak and lobster.
It really is steak and lobster here aswell.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

lyn1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nativenewyorker
Try the box.bz for english telly. We get all the soaps, documentaries and watch news at 10 every night! We watch very little Canadian telly.
Thank you x
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

I like the ice cream over here - 50 flavours to try out - yum!
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:58 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
you may be using the sky satellite dish to pick up channels but you are not getting the european sky service

Getting Canadian channels in Mexico is a posibility depending on how eccentric the orbit of the broadcasting satellites is ,
Pesky physics getting in the way of a good story. Damn you physics.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cheese and potato perogies with peas and ketchup on the side - that has been a new meal for us over here.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell

Yes Zoe you are correct its not the european sky its mexican sky its the same format but lots of channels in spanish,it has all the football which is my main interest.I go to my friends house every so often to watch hockey or CFL ,get my fix lol,you can get sky tv via internet ,you need to subcribe.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cbrown89
Bisto gravy isnt any better than anything over here!!! Real gravy is made from the blood and juice of the meat!!
AND a little red wine with a tiny smidge of redcurrent jelly!!
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Souvy
On the subject of food, I have got it into my head that I want to do a roast beef dinner. I have never done one before and my missus hasn't either. My mum was ace at it but it's too late now to ask her for advice.

From memory, timing and temperature are the key.

As a first attempt, I will cook for two people. I am looking at:

Roast beef
Individual Yorkshire puddings
Roast potatoes
Gravy
Roast parsnips
Probably some carrots
Peas (or sprouts) for the colour

I have absolutely no idea how to go about this and I will take any help I can get. One of you out there must know how to do this and the idea is in my head now, so a roast will be done.

Hopefully it is a messy and time-consuming process. Souvette has nicked all my clean and quick recipes, so I'm left with my mussels in cream/wine (too messy for her). I need something new.
IMPORTANT! meat always at room temperature! really makes a huge difference to the texture and rest the joint for half of the cooking time - numnum x
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 5:31 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
My, you sound like an adventurous person willing to embrace and experience new cultures.
I am and have in every country I have been to. Have been fortunate enough to experience many cultures of the world during my travels. Did not take a suitcase of food from Tescos with me though, whatever was on offer locally was good enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.