Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What's the equivilent of [shop name] in Canada?

What's the equivilent of [shop name] in Canada?

Old Aug 14th 2009, 2:13 am
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light
Arrow What's the equivilent of [shop name] in Canada?

I was thinking about this the other day. One of the challenges that some people find when moving over is that they are looking for certain shops from home that they cannot find in Canada. For example, when I got here (to BC) I quickly worked out that these make pairs (sort of):

UK Shop - Canada Shop
Boots - London Drugs/Shoppers Drug Mart
TK Maxx - Winners
eBuyer - Newegg.ca/NCIX.com
TM Lewin - Tip Top Tailors
Next - American Eagle

But there are a few I cannot pair up. I was wondering if someone could help this new Vancouver resident?:
M&S
Primark

(plus I'm still trying to work out the entire scale on the supermarkets)

While I was thinking about this, I thought a thread of these kind of matches might be fun, so feel free to post your own matches/request for matches. Include your province just in case.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 2:48 am
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the equivilent of [shop name] in Canada?

There's nothing like M&S. Reitmans might be similar to Primark in as much as the clothes look like rags after being worn a couple of times.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 2:59 am
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Edna Bucket
There's nothing like M&S. Reitmans might be similar to Primark in as much as the clothes look like rags after being worn a couple of times.
Damn... you see I'm after £2/$4 for 5 pairs of socks and £2/$4 for 3 pairs of good boxers. Can take them round the world with me (the long way, with lots of stops) and still use them (well I do do that, I'm not sure if I should be)
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

Moggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to all

Primark = Old Navy
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

I wouldn't compare Primark to Old Navy.

I personally like both shops, but Primark have a lower quality and much cheaper (but great for buying socks in bulk!)
Old Navy's quality is much better - in my opinion - and more expensive for most things.....buts that's just my opinion, others may disagree.

I would maybe compare Next = Fairweather??

Originally Posted by Moggiemiss
Primark = Old Navy
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:14 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Future Shop/Vision Electronics - Currys/comet
MEC - Millets
Canadian Superstore - Lidl?
Save on Foods - Tesco
Sport Check - JJB
Zellers - Primark
Canadian Tire - Halfords
Homedepot - B&Q
Sears - Debenhams

...this is fun!

Last edited by bsmith; Aug 14th 2009 at 3:24 am.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bsmith
MEC - Millets
No, no , no

My husband could spend three hours, and $5,000 in MEC without too much effort.

He'd be hard pushed to spend much time or many pounds in Millets. Sorry - no comparison.

I'd pair up Millets with Mark's Work Wearhouse - sort of ....
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Debenhams = The Bay
Woolies = Zellers
Asda = Canadian Superstore
Sainsburys = Safeways
Waitrose = nearly equals Sobeys
Boots = Shoppers Drug Mart - I think London Drugs is too 'cheap' to equal Boots!

oh - and Ikea = Ikea - the layout seems the same the world over
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:32 am
Britnadian

Originally Posted by ann m
Agreed. I know that wherever (at all) I go I can rely on access to $1 plastic utensils that are the most useful thing I own (not kidding)
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:33 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Debenhams = The Bay
Woolies = Zellers
Asda = Canadian Superstore
Sainsburys = Safeways
Boots = Shoppers Drug Mart - I think London Drugs is too 'cheap' to equal Boots!

Asda - Wal-mart, surely?
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Asda - Wal-mart, surely?
D'oh !

I was thinking of the supermarket/food element - rather than the other stuff I suppose.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:38 am
Banned

No, no , no

My husband could spend three hours, and $5,000 in MEC without too much effort.

He'd be hard pushed to spend much time or many pounds in Millets. Sorry - no comparison.

I'd pair up Millets with Mark's Work Wearhouse - sort of ....
MEC - Millets with higher prices and added smugness
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MEC - Millets with higher prices and added smugness
Aw c'mon - when was the last time you went to Millets to salivate over 12 different kayaks, 8 far-too-expensive canoes and a multi-coloured tin opener?
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:45 am
Banned

Aw c'mon - when was the last time you went to Millets to salivate over 12 different kayaks, 8 far-too-expensive canoes and a multi-coloured tin opener?
Must admit, me and the wife got all our winter gear there! No canoes though
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:46 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing near Waitrose might be the one thing I miss most about the UK (or at least the places that had one!). Just wonderful for so many reasons. All I have now are my self-scan bags...Supermarkets here are awful for so many reasons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.