Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What's the difference between Albertans and people from Ontario?

Old Sep 6th 2005, 1:48 pm
Cowtown

Default What's the difference between Albertans and people from Ontario?

Not much except that people from Ontario believe in the right wing redneck stereotype and take everything we Albertans say seriously ....

Old Sep 6th 2005, 1:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the difference between Albertans and people from Ontario?

Originally Posted by Cowtown

Not much except that people from Ontario believe in the right wing redneck stereotype and take everything we Albertans say seriously ....
I'm not from Ontario but I do think that you conform to the redneck stereotype. What are these "alternative lifestyles" to which you object ?
Old Sep 6th 2005, 2:09 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm not from Ontario but I do think that you conform to the redneck stereotype. What are these "alternative lifestyles" to which you object ?
It used to bug me back in the UK when perfectly capable and able young people chose not to work at the tax-payer's expense.

I think we used to call them crusties - I don't know what they're called nowadays. State benefit is meant to be there to support those who are truly unable to work - if you choose not to work without good reason or means to support yourself, the government shouldn't support you.

The whole gay marriage thing was a stereotypical Albertan media generated fiasco - the only real discussion I heard about it was on TV. The majority of Albertans couldn't care less.

Let's face it, the Anglican church in Canada has been virtually excommunicated from the UK Anglican church because we accept the ordination of gay clergy.

Now that's certainly a real right wing fundamentalist stance to take.

Old Sep 6th 2005, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

The whole gay marriage thing was a stereotypical Albertan media generated fiasco - the only real discussion I heard about it was on TV. The majority of Albertans couldn't care less.

Aren't they really waiting for marriage to your favourite calf/goat/sheep to be legalized?
Old Sep 6th 2005, 2:14 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by flashman
Aren't they really waiting for marriage to your favourite calf/goat/sheep to be legalized?
I believe that's already popular in some of the smaller towns - many ranchers are married to their favorite heffer in all but name.

Old Sep 6th 2005, 2:19 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

The gay marriage issue in Alberta is mostly an issue that Ralph and some of his ministers keep bringing up.

The major reason it's been on TV and in the papers is because they won't let it go. They being Ralph and the right wing nutters in the cabinet.

Now that it has quietened down and they appear to have given up on the issue let's hope it stays that way.

One can only hope that come the next federal election Harper and his bunch of right wing crazies won't bring up all over again.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 2:27 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by Hangman
One can only hope that come the next federal election Harper and his bunch of right wing crazies won't bring up all over again.
All it does is ensure they won't ever get power in Ottawa.

Old Sep 6th 2005, 2:36 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

From a BCers point of view? Not much; you're all Easterners

Old Sep 6th 2005, 8:15 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
From a BCers point of view? Not much; you're all Easterners

Does that mean I have to start eating tofu?

Can I still drink beer out of a mason jar?

Old Sep 6th 2005, 9:36 pm
Lost again

john fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to behold

I believe that's already popular in some of the smaller towns - many ranchers are married to their favorite heffer in all but name.
They go for sheep in Wales. (Wales small bit of land tacked onto England )
Old Sep 6th 2005, 11:19 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by john fisher
They go for sheep in Wales. (Wales small bit of land tacked onto England )
But is it legal under Welsh law?

Old Sep 7th 2005, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Scoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the rough

BAA BAABAA BAA
Old Sep 7th 2005, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Does that mean I have to start eating tofu?

Can I still drink beer out of a mason jar?
Well, was told (tongue in cheek)by a buddy in BC, that all that seperated Canada from China was the Campbell River!!!
Old Sep 7th 2005, 2:46 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by macadian
Well, was told (tongue in cheek)by a buddy in BC, that all that seperated Canada from China was the Campbell River!!!
Is this an indicator that this is turning into a "there's a lot of 'non-white immigrants' in Canada" thread? (also with tongue firmly in cheek)

To nip this in the bud ... based on statscan numbers, asian immigrants made up 60% of Vancouver's immigrant population in 2001:
http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/demo35e.htm

Hopefully this isn't news to anybody :scared: (dang, my tongue has now firmly jammed in my cheek)

Old Sep 9th 2005, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

It used to bug me back in the UK when perfectly capable and able young people chose not to work at the tax-payer's expense.

I think we used to call them crusties - I don't know what they're called nowadays.
I think according to the daily mail, the spongers consist of immigrants, chavs, prison inmates, pensioners not paying council tax and going to prison, anyone from the minority cultures, single mothers, corrupt civil servants on the take, jobs with large annual leave ie teachers, striking fireman etc.!!

Which I think leaves me, tony blair and the daily mail journalists. Tone's on holiday and the the journalists are always in the pub. I am the working population of Britain I guess!! No wonder i'm knackered!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.