Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Whats the Canadian Economy like at the moment?

Whats the Canadian Economy like at the moment?

Old Oct 5th 2011, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

honeybunny2011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Whats the Canadian Economy like at the moment?

Can anyone help with this question or can anyone guide me to somewhere I can read up on? My husband is an electrician so is looking for a guideline of what kind of salary he could expect and also wondering if there is a demand for them? Thanks.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats the Canadian Economy like at the moment?

Try http://www.workopolis.com ?

Good luck.

f.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

And:

www.indeed.ca
Old Oct 5th 2011, 12:27 pm
Banned

steff123 has a spectacular aura aboutsteff123 has a spectacular aura aboutsteff123 has a spectacular aura about

Regarding the subject of the Canadian economy and what is going on at the moement, I'd also be happy to hear about the general mood, - if that is possible.

Here in the UK there seems to be a recession of a bigger nature and I think things are a little better over in Canada, could that be?
Old Oct 5th 2011, 2:04 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steff123
Regarding the subject of the Canadian economy and what is going on at the moement, I'd also be happy to hear about the general mood, - if that is possible.

Here in the UK there seems to be a recession of a bigger nature and I think things are a little better over in Canada, could that be?
Nope, Canadian recession is looming also and sentiment is definitely on a downward trajectory.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Jack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure about the general sentiment but if you do investigate more I would suggest looking at hard figures as much as possible, if you can find any reliable and comparable data that is. There is a cultural tendenacy in Canada to be positive (even when they shouldn't be) and there is a tendencay in the UK to be negative (again, sometimes when they shouldn't be!). Before the recession around five or six years ago I remember the government here boasting about the economy and when I did a comparison of the unemployment rates of Ontario and England at the time Ontario's was actually much higher even though people in England, you guessed it, were grumbling.

Last edited by Jack1; Oct 5th 2011 at 2:19 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 3:38 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Canada's unemployemnt varies by province

The UK is currently around 7.9%

The Canadian average at 7.3%, With the provinces;

Newfoundland and Labrador 13.7%
Prince Edward Island 11.4%
Nova Scotia 8.9%
New Brunswick 9.2%
Quebec 7.6%
Ontario 7.5%
Manitoba 5.4%
Saskatchewan 4.5%
Alberta 5.6%
British Columbia 7.5%

Last edited by MikeUK; Oct 5th 2011 at 3:41 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 4:03 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Nope, Canadian recession is looming also and sentiment is definitely on a downward trajectory.
This. It's a great time to buy a house according to the realtors association on the news last night.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 4:15 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
This. It's a great time to buy a house according to the realtors association on the news last night.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Is there a reason why Canadian employment websites tend to refrain from posting a salary next to a job advertised...? I'm so used to seeing salaries on UK job sites and just wondered why you don't see them on Canadian ones...
Old Oct 5th 2011, 4:58 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanyg
Is there a reason why Canadian employment websites tend to refrain from posting a salary next to a job advertised...? I'm so used to seeing salaries on UK job sites and just wondered why you don't see them on Canadian ones...
because they ask you what you're looking for and you're supposed to negotiate.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 5:10 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanyg
To avoid applicants over selling themselves.
To avoid paying more than they have to
To get as broad a range of applicants as possible
To allow for negotiation

But more importantly, it's because it's how it's done.

I find it annoying and potentially time wasting
Old Oct 5th 2011, 5:11 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

The OP should also consider that for practical purposes there is no such thing as a Canadian economy, more a collection of regional economies. The unemployment table MikeUK posted tells a story. Employment prospects will depend on what kind of electrician her OP is, and where they intend to live.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Hmm interesting how it varies according to province, but I guess the sheer size of Canada demands it.

I don't agree with why they do it though - I'd find it a waste of time going for a job when I have no idea if they're going to pay me what I want. Just to take a very random example, I've seen secretarial jobs over here (going back a few years now) ranging from £12k to £27k. There's no way the £12k employers would pay you £27k, even if you were worth it.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 7:15 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

From the employer's side advertizing a job description without a salary means that you get applications from people who can do and/or want to do the job. Not from people who just want the salary - because they are inevitable worth less.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.