Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

what's bad about Canada?

what's bad about Canada?

Old Jul 27th 2007, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what's bad about Canada?

Aahh - you can tell I've been on holiday, or I'd have been on here with my two-penn'orth earlier...

Things I hate?

Piss-poor customer service
Crap health service (STILL no doctor after 13 months here)
Pedestrians are frowned upon (ours is one of only two streets in our neighbourhood with a sidewalk)
Americanisation (including the flying of the stars and stripes at hotels and businesses. This especially irks me - it's like the British taking every opportunity to fly the French tricolor)

I could go on, but I fear that I already do...
Old Jul 28th 2007, 11:19 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alvic
I have cousins from Auckland and they hate being called Kiwis...so you really cant win
Some Scots hate being called Scotch.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 11:34 am
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

American Flags are flown here, the Maple Leaf in the Excited States, that is to make travellers feel at home and to also recognise that we are close neighbours and friends.

Poor Service, Australia takes the lead for that, although the UK isn't far behind.

No sidewalks, depends upon where you live.?

Only country IN THE WORLD totally self sufficient for Water, energy, Food, where your accent doesn't put you in a social class, where things generally work and are on time, where Handicapped people have almost Universal Accessibility, where the geography is so diverse, impossible not to find a place to enjoy.

Obstacles are the things you see when you take your eyes off the opportunities.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

Originally Posted by Howard1944

Only country IN THE WORLD totally self sufficient for Water, energy, Food.......
Yes a very good point but why in that case is Canada not overwhelmed with people wanting to live here- the second largest country in the world with all those massive natural resources.. Most immigrants seem to prefer to go to other countries, including the UK.
... where Handicapped people have almost Universal Accessibility..
Unless you can show me I was not aware that the handicapped people have better help here in Canada actually- yes, much better wheelchair access to the majority of places but most handicapped people here rely on charities to even provide their wheelchairs; no disability/attendance/carer/ mobility allowance which in the UK is designed to maintain independence and is tax free. Here there is a disability tax allowance which is also very hard to get and only supports those working if totally blind or not able to walk at all. There are many handicapped people who are not blind or are able to walk and need other help and not even medical insurance perhaps available to cover medications. This is a very sad situation here and need to be improved but by which government who knows?
Old Jul 28th 2007, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

American Flags are flown here, the Maple Leaf in the Excited States, that is to make travellers feel at home and to also recognise that we are close neighbours and friends.

Poor Service, Australia takes the lead for that, although the UK isn't far behind.

No sidewalks, depends upon where you live.?

Only country IN THE WORLD totally self sufficient for Water, energy, Food, where your accent doesn't put you in a social class, where things generally work and are on time, where Handicapped people have almost Universal Accessibility, where the geography is so diverse, impossible not to find a place to enjoy.

Obstacles are the things you see when you take your eyes off the opportunities.
Almost?? come on, no sidewalks so the buggy/wheelchairs usrs have to go on the road, huge steps into buildings, few accessible toilets, Sears here has bargain bins stacked in the aisles, so wheelchairs cant get by, blind people walk into them. Most homes including new ones are inaccessible to wheelchairs users. No closed captions at cinemas, no induction loops at concerts for heating aid users, noisy echoey rooms, (all that wood flooring)

So no, round here you are wrong on that. What makes the differrnce for me is that people are more ready to help when you need it
Old Jul 28th 2007, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

I can't talk about other Canadian cities, but Toronto by far away is the most wheelchair/pushchair friendly city I have been to.

There are lots of things to complain about but this isn't one of them.

It wasn't one of the things I had noticed before having a baby but since having a baby and going to quite a few places, Toronto is far and away the most friendly places in this regard.

Everywhere I go have pavements, once you know where the accessible toilets are that isn't a problem.

The only thing that is annoying is the trams, they are impossible to go on if you are in a wheelchair but you can work around it by going a different route. But they are looking into other alternatives atm
Old Jul 28th 2007, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

I once walked from the outskirts of Kitchener into downtown for some reason - along sidewalks, I hasten to add, poorly maintained as they were - and there were people slowing down as they drove past, staring. When I asked someone if it was because I had a bogey or shaving foam on my face they said no - it was because I was walking somewhere as opposed to driving or jogging.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

This has happened to me thank Gawd only a couple of times and I've been driving close to 40 years. I am driving along (and I don't mean quiet little side streets) and all at once to my left or maybe in front of me, lo and behold, there is this motorised gizmo.

Someone is actually using the street to get around in a wheelchair.

And so what happens if this person gets hit? Cyclists and motorcycles I do look out for, they're bad enough, but wheelchairs?
Old Jul 28th 2007, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
This has happened to me thank Gawd only a couple of times and I've been driving close to 40 years. I am driving along (and I don't mean quiet little side streets) and all at once to my left or maybe in front of me, lo and behold, there is this motorised gizmo.

Someone is actually using the street to get around in a wheelchair.

And so what happens if this person gets hit? Cyclists and motorcycles I do look out for, they're bad enough, but wheelchairs?
you can imagine the accusing stares if an electric buggy does "get in the way" A few round here have big flags on poles so you can seem more easily, but they do go out in the bad light with no lights or reflective things on

Oh and whats bad about Canada, driving! have just got back from shopping, avoiding an old codger driving into our street, cutting across the centre line as he turns left, dog on his lap, dogs head out of the window, Driver strocking dogs head with one hand the other "steering". Aghhhhhhhh
Old Jul 28th 2007, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Cell phones are my pet peeve.

About a year ago I was almost mowed down by this woman in this fancy SUV. She was turning and yakking away. Never saw me. I was about 100 feet from my house. I was so furious I jumped in my car and followed her. Shortly after, still on her cell phone, she pulled into a shoppng centre. I gave her the nastiest talking to (screaming actually) and used a lot of bad language, something I try to avoid. She just sat there stunned. Not a word. I hope I did some good. I may have saved some other innocent pedestrian?
Old Jul 28th 2007, 8:58 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

Liana , we are being overwhelmed, that is why we restrict immigration to 250k a year,and why it takes almost 4 years for some to get approved.

We took the tube from Heathrow, with luggage, to Paddington, there is NO WAY anyone who is 100% mobile could do it, stairs upon stairs, no wheelchair ramps.

London, most streets do not have wheelchair ramps, they are impassable for the handicapped.

I hope that a few disgruntled people go back and spread tales about Canada, good, stay where you are, immigrants, we got tons trying to sneak in or come legally, Sorry, FULL.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 9:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We took the tube from Heathrow, with luggage, to Paddington,
Public transit? To the airport? What a great idea! Toronto should think about getting that.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 9:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I hope that a few disgruntled people go back and spread tales about Canada, good, stay where you are, immigrants, we got tons trying to sneak in or come legally, Sorry, FULL.
My God, imagine the country if it only had Canadians! It'd be a charmless version of Minnesota.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 9:37 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
Some Scots hate being called Scotch.
........but most don't care one way or the other and just consider the speaker uneducated and therefore to be pitied.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmac
........but most don't care one way or the other and just consider the speaker uneducated and therefore to be pitied.
You scotchy's call us English sassanachs, wat's all tha' abaht?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.