British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   What was your cat like when it arrived on the plane? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/what-your-cat-like-when-arrived-plane-713482/)

Flyingscottie Apr 15th 2011 4:34 pm

What was your cat like when it arrived on the plane?

Hi,

Just a quick question - When you collected your cat from the hold after the flight, had the generally had any little 'accidents'?

Should we take a clean cage to airport when collecting him? How would we clean him?

We have to take a cab back from airport as don't drive!

fledermaus Apr 15th 2011 4:40 pm

Re: What was your cat like when it arrived on the plane?

Originally Posted by Flyingscottie (Post 9307356)
Hi,

Just a quick question - When you collected your cat from the hold after the flight, had the generally had any little 'accidents'?

Should we take a clean cage to airport when collecting him? How would we clean him?

We have to take a cab back from airport as don't drive!

Line the box with "vet bed" with newspaper underneath. Any pee goes through and wicks away so the cat is comfortable. Ours managed till we were 10 minutes from our new Canadian home before pooing. We didn't feed her the day of the flight but she had water.
I believe Madmac's cat had some messy problems. I wouldn't risk transfering a cat in an open area but a clean cage for in the car would be a good idea.

iaink Apr 15th 2011 4:46 pm

I cant even take one of mine the ten minutes in the car to the vet without it making a mess...

I would be the long haired one too...

Good Luck:unsure:

JulieandDave Apr 15th 2011 5:24 pm

We had only been in the car for about 10 mins on the way to the airport and the stink was quite overpowering, even with all the windows open!

That was the long haired one too, it was everywhere, cleaned her up as best I could, which was a pleasant task chasing her around the car with wet wipes and tissues, whilst hubby and step dad laughed from the safety of outside.

The other one, gets scared of people and likes to hide, when he got off the plane the vet bed was on top of him and he was soaked in pee!

But I'm assuming the vet bed would of worked well if it wasn't used as a hat :eek:

I wouldn't mind but I gave him a towel to hide under and I clearly remember explaining that to him, when I put him in the box.

Good luck :fingerscrossed:

britishvixen21 Apr 15th 2011 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by JulieandDave (Post 9307448)
We had only been in the car for about 10 mins on the way to the airport and the stink was quite overpowering, even with all the windows open!

That was the long haired one too, it was everywhere, cleaned her up as best I could, which was a pleasant task chasing her around the car with wet wipes and tissues, whilst hubby and step dad laughed from the safety of outside.

The other one, gets scared of people and likes to hide, when he got off the plane the vet bed was on top of him and he was soaked in pee!

But I'm assuming the vet bed would of worked well if it wasn't used as a hat :eek:

I wouldn't mind but I gave him a towel to hide under and I clearly remember explaining that to him, when I put him in the box.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: OH dear! well at least they are here now! LOL but your story was funny!

TheThornes Apr 15th 2011 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by JulieandDave (Post 9307448)

This made me laugh too. Very funny.

We flew Heathrow to Calgary with our then 11 year old three legged cat. Once we picked her up, it was about another hour's drive until we got to where we were staying and it was only then that we let her out of her crate. I seem to remember a small damp patch in one corner where she had had a pee but barely noticeable and no poo I'm glad to say. I guess it depends on the cat in question.

immichaelcaine Apr 15th 2011 7:21 pm

nuff sed:
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com...7618716054.jpg

britishvixen21 Apr 15th 2011 7:31 pm

HHAHAHAAA TOO FUNNY

Cookie Apr 16th 2011 12:55 am

I also used vetbed in the pet carrier. I packed a couple of scented nappy disposal bags, some wet wipes and a small hand towel in my hand luggage. Cat had a small amount of dry cat food and some water in her carrier.

Our journey was only supposed to be approx 12 hours (Aberdeen - Heathrow - Halifax) but unfortunately on the day we had to go via Toronto too (long story) so it landed up being 24 hours. Cat had pooped in her carrier. Was a little stressed and meowed for the 1.5 hour car journey to our new home. :eek: Once she was cleaned up, she got some TLC and settled in very quickly. :)

Flyingscottie Apr 16th 2011 1:55 am

Thank you so much, super helpful!

No-one else's cat likes to roll around in it's own poop then?

FS :blink:

Originally Posted by Cookie (Post 9308057)
I also used vetbed in the pet carrier. I packed a couple of scented nappy disposal bags, some wet wipes and a small hand towel in my hand luggage. Cat had a small amount of dry cat food and some water in her carrier.

Our journey was only supposed to be approx 12 hours (Aberdeen - Heathrow - Halifax) but unfortunately on the day we had to go via Toronto too (long story) so it landed up being 24 hours. Cat had pooped in her carrier. Was a little stressed and meowed for the 1.5 hour car journey to our new home. :eek: Once she was cleaned up, she got some TLC and settled in very quickly. :)