Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What would you change (if you could) about canada?

What would you change (if you could) about canada?

Old Jan 20th 2006, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

sam/stu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What would you change (if you could) about canada?

I think we have swayed a little!!!!
What would I change about Canada from a mere prospective immigrants point of view!!
The bacon is crap - streaky is meant for covering the turkey at Christmas not in a butty
The sausage skin is too tough, needs boiling then grilling - like I've got the time
What sort of fashion does a woman in her thirties wear? Either jeans with the crotch at your knees or a sensible two piece like what I would wear for a wedding - where's the likes of NEXT/cheapo PRIMARK/MONSOON - theres no middle ground
'Something About Raymond' is NOT funny
Plastic bags full of milk that split all over the work top when you try to open them
The price you see is not the price you pay - did I feel a fool when I went to buy a paper
No 'corner shops' when you run out of milk/bread/essentials - therefore no sending the teenager out for a pint a milk - he'd be gone days
And one from my hormonal teenager - why do I have to stay at school 'til I'm 18
Other than that, we are flying over to start our new life v.shortly so the pros obviously outweigh the cons

Good luck everone, we hope that you all find what you are looking for
Old Jan 20th 2006, 10:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sam/stu
I think we have swayed a little!!!!
What would I change about Canada from a mere prospective immigrants point of view!!
The bacon is crap - streaky is meant for covering the turkey at Christmas not in a butty
The sausage skin is too tough, needs boiling then grilling - like I've got the time
What sort of fashion does a woman in her thirties wear? Either jeans with the crotch at your knees or a sensible two piece like what I would wear for a wedding - where's the likes of NEXT/cheapo PRIMARK/MONSOON - theres no middle ground
'Something About Raymond' is NOT funny
Plastic bags full of milk that split all over the work top when you try to open them
The price you see is not the price you pay - did I feel a fool when I went to buy a paper
No 'corner shops' when you run out of milk/bread/essentials - therefore no sending the teenager out for a pint a milk - he'd be gone days
And one from my hormonal teenager - why do I have to stay at school 'til I'm 18
Other than that, we are flying over to start our new life v.shortly so the pros obviously outweigh the cons

Good luck everone, we hope that you all find what you are looking for

Ooopps! Forgot to add - do you think that the government will pass legislation to help the ' immigrants' settle better.

Please note that this was meant as a 'tongue in cheek' reply, I didn't mean any offence and I don't want to start 'world war 3' with my coments!!!!!
Old Jan 20th 2006, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Imperial weights, measures and distances would be nice.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
To or From ????
Old Jan 20th 2006, 10:13 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

You are going to have to move south of the border for that.

You'll get used to it after a while.

Cheers
Steve
Old Jan 20th 2006, 11:05 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babyblue
I would also make it my duty to check into this website from time to time and see what real people think and say. I would design a real life website for facts not BS.
Hi BB,

Some of the members on here try to post rounded reality views of everyday life here.....trying to get people over/past that stage of rose tinted sunglasses which we have probably all been through after a week or four on vacation here.

Peeps can listen or ignore it, but I don't think they can say there isn't enough resource or open honest TIAYSI advice available.

Rich.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
You are going to have to move south of the border for that.

You'll get used to it after a while.

Cheers
Steve
I'm a product of a screwed-up imperial/metric education, I know what a meter is but have no concept of what a kilometer looks like, I think hot temperatures in fahrenheit and cold in celcius...

I just find the lack of lbs and oz on labels here confusing, especially taking things from american cookbooks as I do. Isn't the ruling in the UK that you can have the imperial measures on packaged food but the print must be smaller than the metric? That would suit me fine until all those who've ever learned imperial die off. Or their eyesight gets so bad they are forced to use metric
Old Jan 20th 2006, 11:52 pm
Jenny & Tony

Happydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud of

I wish they would make their minds up one way or the other (same in the UK). When we arrived in N.S. a friend explained to me that they work on the metric system here,which is fine with me as thats what I tended to use in the uk.So my first project was to make a bed out of pine,so I designed it and listed all the measurments in metric,went to the timber merchants and they didn't have a clue what I was talking about as they work in feet and inches when it comes to building materials .So I had to fumble around with a tape measure and do the conversions.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 1:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Happydayz
I wish they would make their minds up one way or the other (same in the UK). When we arrived in N.S. a friend explained to me that they work on the metric system here,which is fine with me as thats what I tended to use in the uk.So my first project was to make a bed out of pine,so I designed it and listed all the measurments in metric,went to the timber merchants and they didn't have a clue what I was talking about as they work in feet and inches when it comes to building materials .So I had to fumble around with a tape measure and do the conversions.

I think the use of metric in Canada is a ludicrous affectation. Everything's made in imperial. People speak in imperial. At the market or at Loblaw's everything's priced by the pound. I used to think we had metric to please the French but my daughter, in Montreal, quotes the sizes of her various apartments in pieds carrés (French for square feet) so, really, it just seems like a bureaucratic whim.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 1:30 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a Canada thing it is a provincial thing.

You could always move to Alberta and parts of BC where the speed limits are 110 kph, plus the approx 19 kph grace the RCMP will give, it could get you close to 130 kph.
Wooooo, I didnt realise mankind could even breath at such velocities.

Actually, thats not so different in Ontario, 130 on the 400s is usually safe, 125 certainly is, but its hardly breaking the sound barrier like you can in germany now is it!
Old Jan 21st 2006, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think the use of metric in Canada is a ludicrous affectation. Everything's made in imperial. People speak in imperial. At the market or at Loblaw's everything's priced by the pound. I used to think we had metric to please the French but my daughter, in Montreal, quotes the sizes of her various apartments in pieds carrés (French for square feet) so, really, it just seems like a bureaucratic whim.
They advertise the prices in $/lb but then price the packages in $/kg which makes it very confusing. More than once I have seen them try to sneek by a higher price than what the conversion should be. You need a chart to carry around when shopping to make sure you don't get overcharged!
Old Jan 21st 2006, 4:03 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe I should just get the Snowmobile I have been promising myself and ride the ditches alongside Route 1 at unlimited speed limits!!

Regards

Darritoban

It's not a Canada thing it is a provincial thing.

You could always move to Alberta and parts of BC where the speed limits are 110 kph, plus the approx 19 kph grace the RCMP will give, it could get you close to 130 kph.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 5:35 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

B, you should be living in good old britain because the country still refuses to go competely metric after being in the EEC all this time. They have even taught metric for over 30 years in schools and most people still don't understand it so refuse to use it. Everything is so confusing for most when half of things are metric and the rest imperial.

I think if a country adopts something it should do so wholeheartedly and then everyone gets used to it after a time.

METRIC GETS MY VOTE, it's a simpler system altogether
Old Jan 21st 2006, 5:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garfielduk
METRIC GETS MY VOTE, it's a simpler system altogether
This is such an irrational argument. Metric butter, for example, comes in 455g lumps. How is 455 a simple number ? What if a recipe calls for two tablespoons of butter and you want to do that in metric ? You have to be able to judge, by eye, fractions of grams, that's not simple, even if you can divide 455 by, say, 8 in your head.

If the world had been built in metric it would make sense to use it but having signs saying Toronto 144 kilometers, Niagara Falls 128 km is not more convenient than having signs saying 90 or 80 miles. If the government moves the towns, raises my ceilings from 9' to some exact number of hectoliters and comes and marks up all the recipe books in kilojoules then fine, otherwise metric is a silly little fetish for people who like to get short changed on a dozen eggs.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
This is such an irrational argument. Metric butter, for example, comes in 455g lumps. How is 455 a simple number ? What if a recipe calls for two tablespoons of butter and you want to do that in metric ? You have to be able to judge, by eye, fractions of grams, that's not simple, even if you can divide 455 by, say, 8 in your head.

If the world had been built in metric it would make sense to use it but having signs saying Toronto 144 kilometers, Niagara Falls 128 km is not more convenient than having signs saying 90 or 80 miles. If the government moves the towns, raises my ceilings from 9' to some exact number of hectoliters and comes and marks up all the recipe books in kilojoules then fine, otherwise metric is a silly little fetish for people who like to get short changed on a dozen eggs.
S'easy! one tablespoon = 15ml

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.