Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What would you change (if you could) about canada?

What would you change (if you could) about canada?

Old Jan 20th 2006, 2:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you change (if you could) about canada?

Originally Posted by joeboy_UK
He's winding you up about the US, everyone knows that would be the biggest mistake ever made, well everyone knows apart from the US of course.
Actually I'm not. I don't see anything so different between the US and Canada as not to be covered by state's rights. Ontario could, for example, be part of the US and have OHIP without breaking any US laws.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 2:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Amen, but at least its singable and doesnt cover two octaves or whatever the star spangled banner does! God, that tune is a nightmare to sing for a good singer, nevermind for a celeb at the superbowl!
Good point. Perhaps we could merge with France.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 2:18 pm
Banned

joeboy_UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Try telling that to the 40% of canadians about to vote for Harper!
I see those 40% as americans anyway so my comment still stands :-)
Old Jan 20th 2006, 2:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by babyblue
Make sure that the person taking the test is actually going to be the driver. Maybe a blood test or something. Too many illigal drivers on the road as they get others the take the test for them cos they look alike! I have heard of this.
I assume you mean Asians (Asians in the American usage, people who look Japanese/Chinese/Korean). I think we have to accept that their different approach to driving is a feature of their cultures, like eating with chopsticks rather than knives and forks, it's not so much wrong as just different. They are not going to start signaling or stop turning left from the right lane, no matter what testing may be decreed. We may think that drifting back and forth across the road is bad driving but that's a eurocentric perspective, to other people it's quite acceptable. Similarly, we may think it's a virtue to decide which exit to take from a junction before reaching the lights but to other people there's a zen about considering the matter while equidistant from each of the possible paths.

I'm not such a fan of multiculturalism as to get my car dented for it so I just avoid Markham and Agincourt.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 2:23 pm
Banned

I would add to that...

young drivers should have at least a year of the restricted plates. I remember in Northern Ireland the young drivers would have to display The 'R' plate in the rear window for the first year.

Make sure that the person taking the test is actually going to be the driver. Maybe a blood test or something. Too many illigal drivers on the road as they get others the take the test for them cos they look alike! I have heard of this.

Sorry to say it but maybe a retest or some of the elderly on the roads.
Alberta have gone one better than this though. Any new driver of ANY age has to spend 1 whole year in the car with another person, doesn't matter if they are ready to take their test after a month and pass they cannot drive on their own for 1 whole year regardless.

Great I hear you say, well no, I agree that this should stick for young drivers but what about a 40 year old woman who has never driven and her husband dies? What is she supposed to do when she needs to drive to the shops to buy groceries? she has to have another driver in with her for a whole year? stupid stupid stupid rule, badly thoght out.

My 25 year old girlfriend is now suffering from this rule and it is such a shame where you live in a country where having a car is a neccesity. The crazy thing is that had she passed in england the day before we came out she could have exchanged her license and that would be fine.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 2:24 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dbd33
I assume you mean Asians (Asians in the American usage, people who look Japanese/Chinese/Korean). I think we have to accept that their different approach to driving is a feature of their cultures, like eating with chopsticks rather than knives and forks, it's not so much wrong as just different. They are not going to start signaling or stop turning left from the right lane, no matter what testing may be decreed. We may think that drifting back and forth across the road is bad driving but that's a eurocentric perspective, to other people it's quite acceptable. Similarly, we may think it's a virtue to decide which exit to take from a junction before reaching the lights but to other people there's a zen about considering the matter while equidistant from each of the possible paths.

I'm not such a fan of multiculturalism as to get my car dented for it so I just avoid Markham and Agincourt.
It's always nice to hear a bit of racism eh? (NOT)
Old Jan 20th 2006, 2:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Alberta have gone one better than this though. Any new driver of ANY age has to spend 1 whole year in the car with another person, doesn't matter if they are ready to take their test after a month and pass they cannot drive on their own for 1 whole year regardless.

Great I hear you say, well no, I agree that this should stick for young drivers but what about a 40 year old woman who has never driven and her husband dies? What is she supposed to do when she needs to drive to the shops to buy groceries? she has to have another driver in with her for a whole year? stupid stupid stupid rule, badly thoght out.

My 25 year old girlfriend is now suffering from this rule and it is such a shame where you live in a country where having a car is a neccesity. The crazy thing is that had she passed in england the day before we came out she could have exchanged her license and that would be fine.
One of my daughters went to Europe, took the test there and came back with a license. She then used the European license to get an Ontario one. All this bother to get around a similar graduated licensing regulation.

It's not quite right to say that Canada is a country where you need a car though, lots of people in Toronto and Montreal don't have cars but use transit.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 2:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

It's always nice to hear a bit of racism eh? (NOT)
You think there's no merit in that stereotype ?
Old Jan 20th 2006, 2:30 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Good point. Perhaps we could merge with France.
LOL! and you though border controls were a pain in the arse now!

If Canada were a French colony then I think pain in the arse would just be the beginning of the border formalities!!!:scared:
Old Jan 20th 2006, 2:31 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

One of my daughters went to Europe, took the test there and came back with a license. She then used the European license to get an Ontario one. All this bother to get around a similar graduated licensing regulation.
Except that it doesnt. If you havent had your license for at least two years when you swap, you are still only given a G1
Old Jan 20th 2006, 2:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Except that it doesnt. If you havent had your license for at least two years when you swap, you are still only given a G1
iirc there was an interval year when they introduced the scheme at which point you could still swap for a proper licence but you couldn't get a full one here without going through graduated licensing. I remember it being a panic to get it done before some date and that the air fare ended up being a bundle due to short notice and lack of attention to detail. That was seven or eight years ago so I'm not surprised if it's more regulated now.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

CalgaryBlue is on a distinguished road

A few comments.

I asked about the lack of cats eyes on the motorways and roads. The response i always get is that in the winter they make plowing the road very very dificult. The plows would just destroy them. Also, in the winter they become litle slippery discs just waiting to destroy your car.

No us border? ARE YOU NUTS? God bless the border. although im sure sooner or later Alberta (in all our right wing red-neck pride) will be the 51st of America.

And, if i could change something it would be holidays. Holidays are really poor here, with a majority of people only given 2 weeks. I think its downright mean of employers.

Cheers,
Paul
Old Jan 20th 2006, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

I was not intending to be racial in any way. I simply mean that it is a real danger to allow people on the road that have not taken a test themselves.
how are these examples of appalling driving acceptabe in a saftey conscious society?
I find it frustrating and dangerous. Some examples are worse than drunk drivers. That is not acceptable either.

Constant complaints from environmetalists about polution etc then maybe we should be starting to take it more seriously.
restricting car gas peddals etc

Why should people be allowed to be dangerious and environmentaly damaging/
Old Jan 20th 2006, 2:45 pm
Livin it large

Mctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant future

We have all been listening to the hype about the elections but if you could change something yourself what would it be and why?

I love it when i start a thread like this becuase i know we can get some real heated discusions.

what about the youth?

what about the guns?

what about the child care?

what about taxes?

I know i would love to see tax included on purchases! I guess thats becuase i still am not totaly adjusted to it.

I personaly find all of this politcal talk complete bull and we all know that if any one of them get in that nobody ever truly follows through on the promises. Maybe they should be swarn in as in court and if they break the rules of promises then they get a 'Go directly to Jail' card.
That would be kindda cool actually. The Jails might be packed but at least we would not hear al this BS.

what is your opinion?

What would you do?
Decide on one official language.

Sell Alcohol in supermarkets.

Make tipping against the law.

Make begging against the law.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 2:46 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hipster Contrarian
The America bit! Nightmare scenario.
No he's right. It would be fantastic, we could militarize space and sit our weapons there ready to blow the crap out of the one eyed little green men coming in their Uranian deathships !!! And imagine how omnipotent the US would appear to the poor dusky faced babbling tongued distant enemy knowing that it had WMD's in space ready to wipe out their unChristian asses ? Hey, no more need to send Billy Bob the Montanan farmhand to die for the cause, just zap the enemy, right ?

> There is no reason at all to consider America to be a paranoid nation.

Rich.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.