Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What would you change (if you could) about canada?

What would you change (if you could) about canada?

Old Jan 20th 2006, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What would you change (if you could) about canada?

Originally Posted by seacreature
Hello!!!

How are you? I hope things are better for you.
I'm good, largely because I'm returning to England very soon.
To say I'm excited is an understatement!

Upon our return we plan to hire a car and drive through the Yorkshire Dales, perhaps staying the night at a lovely country pub somewhere!
beautiful part of the country. So you finaly decided to go back!

I can't say i blame you as it has been tough for us here. I am trying to stick a wee bit longer to get my PR. I feel i have put the time in and i at least deserve the PR for this.

Stil struggling with my job. No change there. I was shocked at christmas as they gave me less bonus than last year.$140 and last year i got $200 But i should not have been shocked really becuase this is to be expected from them. Hopefully i will be working elsewhere by next christmas. I am always being told the don't have much money but hey! They are off on another trip in feb. cruise!
I could not afford a trip up the river on my wage.

Better things to come i am sure.
Good luck with all you dreams
take care
Old Jan 20th 2006, 9:01 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
LOL! Make it illegal for people to ask for free advice on Internet discussion forums. Make the blighters pay for it.
Hear Hear
and if they continue to ask whip them soundly!!!
Old Jan 20th 2006, 9:02 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babyblue
I am always being told the don't have much money but hey! They are off on another trip in feb. cruise!
What utter bastards, I'm really hoping its worth it in the end for you.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

There is something i would definatly change!

I would make sure the proper checks were made of possible employers of foreign workers to ensure we do get the job advertised. So many stories in here that it is shocking to think we give up everything to come this far to find it is not the job advertised.In fact it is a job that a canadian would reject becuase it is so poorly paid and high expectations.
I would also make it my duty to check into this website from time to time and see what real people think and say.
No!..... wait
I would design a real life website for facts not BS.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

I am always being told the don't have much money but hey! They are off on another trip in feb. cruise!

Better things to come i am sure.
Good luck with all you dreams
take care
They're a disgrace. However it doesn't really surprise me.
Workers here seem to have few rights. The minimum wage in Ontario is laughable. I don't know how people are expected to survive on it. If British employers paid that poorly there would be riots.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 9:12 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

They're a disgrace. However it doesn't really surprise me.
Workers here seem to have few rights. The minimum wage in Ontario is laughable. I don't know how people are expected to survive on it. If British employers paid that poorly there would be riots.
There are British employers who exploit their 'staff'!!!!! And guess what 99% of the time they are 'Indigenous' employers employing 'foriegn' workers!!!!

I'm not saying babyblues employer is right in anyway but for flips sake dont try painting the picture that it doesnt happen all over the world!
Old Jan 20th 2006, 9:16 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

What would you do?
Buy my family a one-way ticket to Australia.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 9:18 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Buy my family a one-way ticket to Australia.
I thought you didnt like your family?
Old Jan 20th 2006, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
There are British employers who exploit their 'staff'!!!!! And guess what 99% of the time they are 'Indigenous' employers employing 'foriegn' workers!!!!

I'm not saying babyblues employer is right in anyway but for flips sake dont try painting the picture that it doesnt happen all over the world!
I agree, it does happen in Britain, but it's usually illegal immigrants.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 9:26 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Only because the natives can do much better on welfare.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 9:29 pm
Banned

I can give you the name and address of one employer who employs foriegn workers who are here legally and are well and truly shafted!!!
Old Jan 20th 2006, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

It is shameful yes. I also know of companies in Britain that employ foreigners and don't even pay them minimum wage.
I'm not justifying this, however there is a difference. If you have skills, it's easier to get a good job in Britain than Canada. I'm not just speculating, I know. I have friends from Hong Kong, India and Australia and they've had no problems getting decent jobs in Britain. Employers didn't mind that they had 'foreign' experience.

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I can give you the name and address of one employer who employs foriegn workers who are here legally and are well and truly shafted!!!
Old Jan 20th 2006, 9:44 pm
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Canada, please raise or eliminate the ridiculous 100kph speed limits in the highways out of town- for the summer at least!
We have 6 cylinder cars but nowhere to make use of them legally.
My trip into the city is a 26km blast along Route 1, no hills no bends, the boredom makes it more dangerous than if I were to at least concentrate whilst at speed!

Darren
Old Jan 20th 2006, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scimdarren
Canada, please raise or eliminate the ridiculous 100kph speed limits in the highways out of town- for the summer at least!
My trip into the city is a 26km blast along Route 1, no hills no bends, the boredom makes it more dangerous than if I were to at least concentrate whilst at speed!

Darren
I agree, although I wouldn't fancy doing 120kph headlong into a Moose!! :scared:
Old Jan 20th 2006, 9:50 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scimdarren

Darren
It's not a Canada thing it is a provincial thing.

You could always move to Alberta and parts of BC where the speed limits are 110 kph, plus the approx 19 kph grace the RCMP will give, it could get you close to 130 kph.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.