Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

what would be the reasons not to immigrate to Canada?

what would be the reasons not to immigrate to Canada?

Old Dec 10th 2010, 12:42 am
Just Joined

DSchnieder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what would be the reasons not to immigrate to Canada?

I am interested in immigrating to Canada; I am trying to make my decision carefully and now I am wondering whether there are any reasons for "not to immigrate to Canada". anyone please ?
Old Dec 10th 2010, 12:46 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what would be the reasons not to immigrate to Canada?

If your very close to family and friends - the type of person that spends every weekend at Mums for the sunday roast and down the pub every night with yer mates, then reconsider your thoughts on emigrating.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 1:34 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

The claims by many on this site include:-

No Marmite; TV sucks; liquor/wine/beer too expensive; quality of cheese is poor and too expensive; NA cars/trucks too big and poorly made; it's cold in winter in most of the country; Vancouver too expensive; drive on wrong side of the road; food is more expensive; few, if any cheap flights; too hot/muggy in summer; mosquitoes; too far away from family; poor quality furniture; limited public transport, inadequate labour protection laws, no pub culture, chocolate not good, no culture similar to UK or Europe, etc, etc, etc.

I could go on but what would be the point. You obviously shouldn't immigrate to Canada.

Last edited by Auld Yin; Dec 10th 2010 at 1:36 am.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DSchnieder
I am interested in immigrating to Canada; I am trying to make my decision carefully and now I am wondering whether there are any reasons for "not to immigrate to Canada". anyone please ?
Well apart from all of the things listed by the ever helpful if somewhat cynical Auld Yin.........NO he covered it all.

Seriously. Though it is different here and there are things that you miss that can be extremely mundane, you learn to live without them.
I can't think of anything that would be prohibitive to moving here.

The positives outway the negatives for me. By and large it feels way safer here. Chav culture way behind the UK. Pace of life slower (apart from the bigger cities).

Hopefully there will be someone along with some helpful input for you.

Welcome to BE by the way.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 4:44 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
The claims by many on this site include:-

No Marmite; TV sucks; liquor/wine/beer too expensive; quality of cheese is poor and too expensive; NA cars/trucks too big and poorly made; it's cold in winter in most of the country; Vancouver too expensive; drive on wrong side of the road; food is more expensive; few, if any cheap flights; too hot/muggy in summer; mosquitoes; too far away from family; poor quality furniture; limited public transport, inadequate labour protection laws, no pub culture, chocolate not good, no culture similar to UK or Europe, etc, etc, etc.

I could go on but what would be the point. You obviously shouldn't immigrate to Canada.
You forgot about the baked beans !
Old Dec 10th 2010, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Cowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to all

I was born in Canada and lived there until I got married at age 22. I have lived very happily in the UK since then, for the past 9 years. Now I'm going back to Canada!

Having lived in both countries, I can honestly say that they both have some great benefits, just very different and therefore difficult to compare. There are many things I love about the UK that don't exist or aren't as good in Canada and vice-versa. I really love them both the same, just in different ways!

What we did was make a big list of the pros and cons of both. For us, the pros of the Canada list outweighed the UK list, but there were a lot of considerations involved (i.e. career, family, etc), and everyone's circumstances are different.

The Pros/Cons lists were very helpful and to see the facts all listed in black and white really helped us make our decision more clearly.

Good luck with whatever you decide!!
Old Dec 10th 2010, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

LinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

We're not there yet, so still have rose coloured glasses on. That said we accept that we may not like it and may come back.

When I was looking into whether or not to think about the move, I spent some time on the 'Moving back to the UK' forum which gives you a real insight into the reasons why people choose to come back. Whilst it can be a wee bit depressing at times to read, it does make you realise that the move should be thought through thoroughly (have I spelled them all right?) the grass is not always greener.

Knowing what location you are thinking of moving to will also help the forum bods a chance to give you more specific cons (and pros) of that area.

Good luck whatever you decide to do

lns
Old Dec 10th 2010, 8:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

There are loads of reasons why people decide not to go ahead with a planned immigration, or to return to the UK after a spell in Canada, and they can vary from homesickness, to running out of money, to being unable to find a decent job, etc. But nobody can tell you why *you* maybe shouldn't go, as we have no idea about you!

I'd suggest you look at the Wiki (info in there about potential problems), search for threads in the main forum, and also have a good read of the Moving Back to the UK forum to get an idea of why people return from Canada.

I will also move this thread in to the main Canada forum so that it is in the right place and hopefully will get more responses. And I'm sure you have looked in to this, but do make sure you are actually eligible to emigrate to Canada before worrying about whether or not you should!

Good luck.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 9:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I'm confused.

Under one of your other usernames (please note as per site rules multiple usernames are not allowed, so let us know which one you want to keep) you say that you've had PR for years? http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=683283

Plus you've been to university in Alberta and school in Canada, and are currently there according to your IP address?

Please clarify, and re-read the site rules. Also note that the latest username you tried to register today has been banned to avoid further confusion.

Thanks.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 10th 2010 at 9:40 am.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Bad exchange rate - at the moment. May be a factor if you decide to return to the UK in the future.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

#1 reason...it's not the UK. So if you think it is the UK (or you think that you can turn it into the UK upon arrival) and will moan about it when you discover it's not the UK, then don't go.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 10:26 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Actually, I'm confused.

Under one of your other usernames (please note as per site rules multiple usernames are not allowed, so let us know which one you want to keep) you say that you've had PR for years? http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=683283

Plus you've been to university in Alberta and school in Canada, and are currently there according to your IP address?

Please clarify, and re-read the site rules. Also note that the latest username you tried to register today has been banned to avoid further confusion.

Thanks.
Surely if you're already in Canada and have lived here on and off for a number of years the question is a rather moot one? As a point of discussion - fine; but as a serious enquiry????
Old Dec 10th 2010, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

neolight90 is an unknown quantity at this point

I smell something fishy going on
Old Dec 10th 2010, 12:22 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute