Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What will you most miss about the UK

What will you most miss about the UK

Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:22 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: What will you most miss about the UK

Originally Posted by hcastles
We probably wont be going for ages yet, but i will miss the lovely scottish weather My house on the outskirts !!!!!! (NOT) the big back garden (NOT) but what i will look forward too the most....... I'LL BE EVEN FURTHER FROM MY MOTHER!!!!!!!!!

Will miss all my inlaws tho.....
Will miss on tap babysitting (selfish i know)

But i can live without those things...... But i will miss my car if we are not going to take it (hubby already said no to that as they are cheaper out there)
Don't knock the babysitting part and take it for as long as you can get it - it's really tough at the beginning without it especially for overnighters
Old Jan 31st 2007, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all
Default Re: What will you most miss about the UK

Originally Posted by YYZlover
MUOAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You have got to be kidding me. Cheap flights and trains?

ROARING with laughter!

Ok, I geddit, I geddit. You were joking.

That they are indeed.
I almost always was able to find a train ticket Sheffield-London return for less than 25 pounds (sometimes 15) but only you need to book in advance, now when I tried Montreal-Toronto train I came up with over $300 !! and that was cheapest.
for flights, I booked Doncaser-Dublin return for 60 pounds! the same available to many European cities, something not available here.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 1:59 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Arris
It's the smell of those country pubs aswell, the fire, the real ale, the roasts cooking out the back

Enjoy your roast - where abouts?
Somewhere in the Cheshire countryside. One of our old haunts no doubt.
Eeeee, I'm making myself homesick again...not good !
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

hcastles will become famous soon enoughhcastles will become famous soon enough

hi

Surely if canada does not have the quiet "countryside" pub.... the best business sense would be to open one!!!!!!! If you could do it in a way that was totally english (or should i be saying UK).

I wonder how hard it could be!!!??

HHHMMMMMMMMMM
Old Jan 31st 2007, 9:45 am
To Infinity and Beyond

Dive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud of

hi

Surely if canada does not have the quiet "countryside" pub.... the best business sense would be to open one!!!!!!! If you could do it in a way that was totally english (or should i be saying UK).

HHHMMMMMMMMMM
How would you get Sky TV though. Canadian TV is the pits Has anybody ever ever received Sky TV in Canada, there must be a way surely
Old Jan 31st 2007, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
I asked my wife last night what she will miss most when leaving the UK, she said in a straight face "The Polish people"...
This is what I'll miss....I'm at Heathrow airport on a pay internet console and I'm on my way to the sunny Canary Islands, 25 degrees F. Apparently it says here. See ya all when I get back in a weeks time. Unless I get a chance to get on here when I'm out there, which I'll try to do. Don't need a snow blower there though Although I could use one for the sand I guess.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

Ill miss my beautiful spaniel ,now far to old to join us in our new life but at least shes spending her time with my son who i know will spoil her even moe than i do
Old Jan 31st 2007, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

hcastles will become famous soon enoughhcastles will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Dive06
How would you get Sky TV though. Canadian TV is the pits Has anybody ever ever received Sky TV in Canada, there must be a way surely
There must be some way of gettiing some decent tv out there.... By the how bad is it exactly????
Old Jan 31st 2007, 11:25 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

There must be some way of gettiing some decent tv out there.... By the how bad is it exactly????

Most TV in Canada is in fact from the US. And yes there are lots of adverts and generally much of it is crap. Even the homegrown Canadian stuff. Alternatives are few and far between. You tube and bit-torrent can help. There is a thing called a slingbox which in theory you could have a kindly person in UK connect to Sky and their broadband connection to transmit to you via the net. I imagine it chews up a whole lot of bandwidth though.

In the big picture of moving to another country and establishing a new life it's not something signficant enough to worry about.

The lack (in these parts at least 'cos i know dbd33 will get all smug about his local) of cask conditioned beer is much more difficult to deal with.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 11:29 am
To Infinity and Beyond

Dive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud of

Full of commercials . I guess maybe over time I will get used to it, but it would be a godsend if it was achievable over here. The sports side of it is good, if you get into your Hockey etc, but its not football
Guess I should get all canadian and stop moaning about it.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 11:48 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
The lack (in these parts at least 'cos i know dbd33 will get all smug about his local) of cask conditioned beer is much more difficult to deal with.
I can't afford to be smug as we're about to move to the country and won't have a pub. We're obliged to stockpile. Inside us.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:05 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dive06
I wish - if there is a way - let me know however, I think the CRTC would block it!
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:07 pm

hi

HHHMMMMMMMMMM
Quite a few country/British style pubs where I am in Ottawa and surrounding area
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Most TV in Canada is in fact from the US. And yes there are lots of adverts and generally much of it is crap. Even the homegrown Canadian stuff. Alternatives are few and far between. You tube and bit-torrent can help. There is a thing called a slingbox which in theory you could have a kindly person in UK connect to Sky and their broadband connection to transmit to you via the net. I imagine it chews up a whole lot of bandwidth though.

In the big picture of moving to another country and establishing a new life it's not something signficant enough to worry about.

You can always subscribe to BBC Canada also a channel called TVO (television Ontario) runs alot of British programming as does the American channel PBS - all of these are commercial free!! showcase shows Brit programming as well - so you're not totally cut off when you come here!
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
I can't afford to be smug as we're about to move to the country and won't have a pub. We're obliged to stockpile. Inside us.
Where in the country?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.