Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What will you most miss about the UK

What will you most miss about the UK

Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:28 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What will you most miss about the UK

M&S and Next
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:31 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Arris
The Cotswolds - green fields & hills, pretty thatched cottages & really old country pubs (100's of years old) with low beams you bash your head on, that have big roaring fires in the winter.

& curry
Now, I do miss those !!!!! We are heading back to the UK for a visit in the summer and we are SO going to a country pub for Sunday lunch. Roast Beef, Yorkshire Pud, the works. Yes, I can do it here, but sitting in that environment is uniquely British.
Can't say as I miss curry. Can get em here no probs. Now Turkish Delights !! Oooo.............theres a choccy bar I'll be heading to Sainsburys for.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:40 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
M&S and Next
Here, here!!!!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
There's no need to miss that. We can walk from home to twenty Indian curry places, four Thai ones, and two roti shops. At least one of each delivers to the door.
Mmmmm, roti shops you say? I can live without Clacton-on-sea and if I get stuck, I can call my football fan bro in the U.K.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
Mmmmm, roti shops you say? I can live without Clacton-on-sea and if I get stuck, I can call my football fan bro in the U.K.

Delivery! The roti man (perhaps mon) comes to the door.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshchem
All the best religions have people that walk on water
I am a believa!!!! YES SA!!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R2D2
Now, I do miss those !!!!! We are heading back to the UK for a visit in the summer and we are SO going to a country pub for Sunday lunch. Roast Beef, Yorkshire Pud, the works. Yes, I can do it here, but sitting in that environment is uniquely British.
Can't say as I miss curry. Can get em here no probs. Now Turkish Delights !! Oooo.............theres a choccy bar I'll be heading to Sainsburys for.
It's the smell of those country pubs aswell, the fire, the real ale, the roasts cooking out the back

Enjoy your roast - where abouts?
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonthelad
My Canadian wife has learned to make a decent curry using imported products found in the local Brit shop.

I get plenty of footie banter at work - got an Italian, another transplanted Brit (Liverpool fan but you can't have everything), a Man Utd crazy Canadian manager all firing off emails during the day. We even have an FA Cup tournament going (I'll spare you the points system).

English seaside - well I sort of know where you're coming from. The beach at Barrie is nice but not the same. Mind you, Wasaga Beach is lovely and the traffic in the summer is just like a Brit bank holiday on Bournemouth roads!

And I'm a Gooner too

You'll be fine, bud.

Good to hear my fellow Gooners are settling in so well

The seaside has an old fashioned charm in the U.K. but with over-priced Cockles and delinquents galore, maybe they won't be missed that much after all.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Your examples are unfair because they start in the US. Yes the US has some cheap airfares, Jet Blue, for example, offers comparable prices to Ryan Air, but if you're in Canada you have to get to the US to take them; add in the fare from, say, Winnipeg to NYC and your transatlantic fare is unaffordable.
I tend to disagree, then I don't live out there - yet. I have travelled and trawled the flight sites a lot and I do see a big difference.
There really aren't any passenger trains to speak of in Canada; it's not a usable method of transit for people, just freight.
So what happened with the train between Toronto and Quebec. I am sure I took one way back when. It was a long trec, over night and all. Is that all gone?
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R2D2
Turkish Delights !!
I make sure there's one in hubbies stocking every Christmas - he loves 'em too!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:51 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calgal
I make sure there's one in hubbies stocking every Christmas - he loves 'em too!
I always thought you were english.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I always thought you were english.
OOOOhhhhh, you ARE aweful, but I like you (she said).
I was just thinking, big stocking....
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by steve666
OOOOhhhhh, you ARE aweful, but I like you (she said).
I was just thinking, big stocking....
And I find generally that Turkish delights have hairy armpits. The ones in Istanbul did anyway.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YYZlover
I tend to disagree, then I don't live out there - yet. I have travelled and trawled the flight sites a lot and I do see a big difference.
If you're in London you can fly all over Europe for very little money. If you're in Toronto you can drive to Buffalo and fly quite cheaply to Florida or Arizona but that's it. Canada has its merits but it's a long and expensive trip to anywhere. Try it, see where you can go on Ryan Air for a hundred quid then look for any flight to anywhere from Toronto for $250; most fights have taxes of $250.

Originally Posted by YYZlover
So what happened with the train between Toronto and Quebec. I am sure I took one way back when. It was a long trec, over night and all. Is that all gone?
There was such a train, I took it once. There's still a train to Montreal but my daughter who's at school in Montreal goes up and down by bus because the train's too expensive. I also went to Buffalo by train once but the existence of a train from Buffalo to Montreal doesn't negate the point that, generally, trains are not a feasible means of transport. Buses might be but the Greyhound web site is too difficult for me to work!
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

hcastles will become famous soon enoughhcastles will become famous soon enough

We probably wont be going for ages yet, but i will miss the lovely scottish weather My house on the outskirts !!!!!! (NOT) the big back garden (NOT) but what i will look forward too the most....... I'LL BE EVEN FURTHER FROM MY MOTHER!!!!!!!!!

Will miss all my inlaws tho.....
Will miss on tap babysitting (selfish i know)

But i can live without those things...... But i will miss my car if we are not going to take it (hubby already said no to that as they are cheaper out there)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.