Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What we driving in canada ? Any good deals (post covid)

What we driving in canada ? Any good deals (post covid)

Old Apr 6th 2021, 3:06 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What we driving in canada ? Any good deals (post covid)

Originally Posted by Sunnybrae
I shall have a look, thanks - it's amazing what you can learn on here .
The 25C9.4 , in my opinion, has the best layout of any truck camper. We love the full panoramic view at the rear with the full dinette, makes it feel much wider and more spacious , and the mid-ship washroom/fridge/cupboard arrangment makes a real seperated feel between the bedroom and the 'living area'.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Sunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phaedru5
The 25C9.4 , in my opinion, has the best layout of any truck camper. We love the full panoramic view at the rear with the full dinette, makes it feel much wider and more spacious , and the mid-ship washroom/fridge/cupboard arrangment makes a real seperated feel between the bedroom and the 'living area'.
Thanks - do you have a long or short bed on your pick up?
Old Apr 6th 2021, 4:12 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - do you have a long or short bed on your pick up?
Short bed (6.5ft) but I wanted a Long bed and if given the choice again I would get the long bed version. I just couldnt find one at the right spec/colour/price at the time. Its not the weight per se but the Centre of Gravity on these with the rear overhang is quite far back, so i have more weight on my rear axle than I would like. We counter it by packing more at the front and in the cabover when travelling, but still would be nice not to have to think about it so much. Like so many other things in the payload world if I didnt know better or didnt care it really wouldnt be a problem, the truck drives great with the only added thing from stock is a set of Torklift upper stable loads to engage the overload springs right away - note the apparently more popular lower stableloads dont fit the GM springs, but its ok you dont need them. With just the uppers I am not sagging at the back, even still have a bit of forward rake on the truck with the camper loaded, and it rides well.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 4:16 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Old Apr 6th 2021, 4:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Why a cap on a truck and not a camper van, like an Airstream? Is it about cost or the need to haul smelly stuff most of the year?
Old Apr 6th 2021, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Sunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond repute

Nice
Old Apr 6th 2021, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Nice setup
Old Apr 6th 2021, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
Why a cap on a truck and not a camper van, like an Airstream? Is it about cost or the need to haul smelly stuff most of the year?
For me, I don't want to tow a travel trailer (caravan in the UK) nor want a second vehicle like a camper van sitting around most of the year but still needing insurance,servicing etc.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 5:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

For me, I don't want to tow a travel trailer (caravan in the UK) nor want a second vehicle like a camper van sitting around most of the year but still needing insurance,servicing etc.

Each to their own, of course, but a truck isn't much use day-to-day, expensive to run, hard to park, bit of a bother except when there's a need to go to the dump or the feed mill. The cap likely takes up as much room as a van (and I was thinking van rather than trailer). The van would also be faster and cheaper to operate when on holiday.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 5:12 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Each to their own, of course, but a truck isn't much use day-to-day, expensive to run, hard to park, bit of a bother except when there's a need to go to the dump or the feed mill. The cap likely takes up as much room as a van (and I was thinking van rather than trailer). The van would also be faster and cheaper to operate when on holiday.
A lot of people have the topper as an excuse to keep from helping people move furniture.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 5:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by caretaker
A lot of people have the topper as an excuse to keep from helping people move furniture.
There was one on the truck when it came. I cut it up with a chain saw and took the pieces to the dump in the bed. A clever person would have chain sawed it at the dump.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 7:55 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Oh, so many reasons lol. For one my truck is my daily driver, i love it, i drive a lot for work and its big safe and comfortable. I have no problem parking it but then i dont live in a city. When i travel to vancouver it is, admittedly, a bit of nightmare, but thats only a few times a year. I have dirtbikes, a quad, paddleboards etc all of which are easy to throw in the back of a truck to get to trailheads or the lake. And yes its good for the dump runs too!

As for the choice of camper over other options, i dont like towing and being long - this does limit parking and access, we travel to out of the way remote places in the bush and sometimes need a tight turning circle to get out, and some rough roads, so a trailer/caravan was never an option. We can pop to the grocery store on the way out, or take the small ferries around the interior BC, with no worry about where to park more than a regular parking space.

As for campervan, I did always initially want a camper van back in the UK, but a camper van is another vehicle to service, maintain and insure. And crucially, and THIS was the deal breaker, when you camp for a few days in one spot but need your vehicle to go explore, or go get supplies, or for day trips, with a campervan you have to pack up all your stuff and drive away leaving your spot. With the truck camper I can drive out from underneath and leave it set up, like a trailer/caravan, and still use my truck day to day.

The final extra advantage is being able to tow the quad, dirtbikes, or a small boat behind the camper when we do want to bring the toys.

Last edited by Phaedru5; Apr 6th 2021 at 8:02 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 9:41 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

There was one on the truck when it came. I cut it up with a chain saw and took the pieces to the dump in the bed. A clever person would have chain sawed it at the dump.
A clever person would have sold it.. they are often in demand... you could have made some money
Old Apr 6th 2021, 9:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Oh, so many reasons lol. For one my truck is my daily driver, i love it, i drive a lot for work and its big safe and comfortable. I have no problem parking it but then i dont live in a city. When i travel to vancouver it is, admittedly, a bit of nightmare, but thats only a few times a year. I have dirtbikes, a quad, paddleboards etc all of which are easy to throw in the back of a truck to get to trailheads or the lake. And yes its good for the dump runs too!

As for the choice of camper over other options, i dont like towing and being long - this does limit parking and access, we travel to out of the way remote places in the bush and sometimes need a tight turning circle to get out, and some rough roads, so a trailer/caravan was never an option. We can pop to the grocery store on the way out, or take the small ferries around the interior BC, with no worry about where to park more than a regular parking space.

As for campervan, I did always initially want a camper van back in the UK, but a camper van is another vehicle to service, maintain and insure. And crucially, and THIS was the deal breaker, when you camp for a few days in one spot but need your vehicle to go explore, or go get supplies, or for day trips, with a campervan you have to pack up all your stuff and drive away leaving your spot. With the truck camper I can drive out from underneath and leave it set up, like a trailer/caravan, and still use my truck day to day.

The final extra advantage is being able to tow the quad, dirtbikes, or a small boat behind the camper when we do want to bring the toys.
I certainly understand your deal breaker. Camping here is very competitive, a truck cap stakes a good claim to a site though, I suppose, it's easily stolen.

Old Apr 6th 2021, 9:57 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to recall that estate cars were the vehicle of choice for lots of UK caravanner's. Is this because the caravans in the UK are lighter than the models available here in Canada or another reason? Curious why people with small trailers need a $50k F150 instead of a less expensive Volvo 940.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.