Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What we driving in canada ? Any good deals (post covid)

What we driving in canada ? Any good deals (post covid)

Old Sep 17th 2020, 1:14 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What we driving in canada ? Any good deals (post covid)

Originally Posted by dbd33
What is it?
It's what yoy memorably describe as "Greige"!
Old Sep 17th 2020, 3:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
It's what yoy memorably describe as "Greige"!

There are lots of little griege cars on the road here, I have to read the logos to tell them apart and. even then, they tend to be highly styled Hs so there's really no brand differentiation. I expect that's deliberate on the part of whichever H company makes the worse cars.

I wouldn't expect 205,000 kilometers to be a bother for any car mechanically. I usually get 200,000 miles from Fords or VWs with only routine servicing. That's 8 years so, by then, the body's full of holes and it's not worth paying for another oil change.
Old Sep 17th 2020, 4:16 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

There are lots of little griege cars on the road here, I have to read the logos to tell them apart and. even then, they tend to be highly styled Hs so there's really no brand differentiation. I expect that's deliberate on the part of whichever H company makes the worse cars.

I wouldn't expect 205,000 kilometers to be a bother for any car mechanically. I usually get 200,000 miles from Fords or VWs with only routine servicing. That's 8 years so, by then, the body's full of holes and it's not worth paying for another oil change.
The 9th generation Corolla's odometer makes it impossible to go beyond reading 999,999kms. So be warned

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ticle23831205/
Old Apr 4th 2021, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to resurrect an old thread - but wondered if anyone had seen any decent SUV deals as of late, and a little question for those in the know.

Does everyone just ignore/exceed payload on SUV's (and I'm guessing 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks by their numbers too?) other half lands in a few weeks, I hopefully land a few weeks later all being well. so have been browsing - Cherokee and RAV4 seem to be top of the bill at the moment for a sensible,affordable semi reliable 4wd car that'll haul 2 dogs, ski gear, potentially a small family in a couple of years etc. other options are the Hyundai Santa Fe or the like

But checking out the cherokee - door jam stickers suggest payloads of 350-450kg dependant on trim. Now I'm carrying some extra timber, but chuck me, the other half and 2 dogs in the car in our underwear and you're not seeing much change out of 300kg, add clothes, boots, a gallon of water, change of clothes etc. and we're on the limit - no way we could stick 4 folk with overnight bags in the Cherokee.

Even looking at some of the trucks I'm seeing numbers in the 1400-1800lb range on certain models (which would suffice for our current use, but does limit its use as a truck if people stick to the numbers)

In the UK the ford ranger has a payload of 2200lbs - so 3 grown men, 3 dirt bikes, gear etc could go for a day riding in the hills (as I used to) and be under the weight limits, seems nuts that I'd struggle to do that on a semi specced F150 or the like?
Old Apr 4th 2021, 11:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
Sorry to resurrect an old thread - but wondered if anyone had seen any decent SUV deals as of late, and a little question for those in the know.

Does everyone just ignore/exceed payload on SUV's (and I'm guessing 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks by their numbers too?) other half lands in a few weeks, I hopefully land a few weeks later all being well. so have been browsing - Cherokee and RAV4 seem to be top of the bill at the moment for a sensible,affordable semi reliable 4wd car that'll haul 2 dogs, ski gear, potentially a small family in a couple of years etc. other options are the Hyundai Santa Fe or the like

But checking out the cherokee - door jam stickers suggest payloads of 350-450kg dependant on trim. Now I'm carrying some extra timber, but chuck me, the other half and 2 dogs in the car in our underwear and you're not seeing much change out of 300kg, add clothes, boots, a gallon of water, change of clothes etc. and we're on the limit - no way we could stick 4 folk with overnight bags in the Cherokee.

Even looking at some of the trucks I'm seeing numbers in the 1400-1800lb range on certain models (which would suffice for our current use, but does limit its use as a truck if people stick to the numbers)

In the UK the ford ranger has a payload of 2200lbs - so 3 grown men, 3 dirt bikes, gear etc could go for a day riding in the hills (as I used to) and be under the weight limits, seems nuts that I'd struggle to do that on a semi specced F150 or the like?
This is the first time I've ever seen anyone mention domestic vehicle payload. People do talk about towing payload, "is 8000lbs enough for a two horse?" but weight of bodies and shopping? Nah, no one thinks about it.
Old Apr 4th 2021, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

This is the first time I've ever seen anyone mention domestic vehicle payload. People do talk about towing payload, "is 8000lbs enough for a two horse?" but weight of bodies and shopping? Nah, no one thinks about it.
Magic - I assumed as much but recently watched some YouTube reviews of various SUVs/trucks and near enough everyone featured a a quick segment on the sticker. Funnily enough the one I watched on the cherokee was a portly ontarian, in one of the videos he had 2 well weighted family members in the vehicle and id be shocked if the 3 of them weren't putting it over the limit.
Old Apr 5th 2021, 12:11 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Same as dbd33.....I've never considered the payload of a SUV as opposed to its towing capacity. My assumption is that they are designed to carry the number of people that they have seats for, and that as they are engineered generally for 'merka thats n merkan's which is either going to be the same as or more weight than n Canadians.

We have a Hyundai (its not greige dbd) Palisade which is a chuffing enormous 8 seater SUV. It gets better fuel economy than the considerably smaller jeep liberty I had back in 2004 and lugs the four of us plus dogs plus additional kids when needed. More importantly, it tows 5000lbs which in my world isn't a number of horses but is a couple of ATV's on a trailer.
Old Apr 5th 2021, 3:52 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

Some vehicle payload figures include the weight of the driver, some dont, some with or without a full tank of fuel, etc. So if you really want to check then you'd need to know that for the specific vehicle. That said, for an SUV I dont think anybody ever looks at them and i really wouldnt worry. And you are correct that most trucks, especially half tons, have much lower payloads than people realise. A modern half ton (F150 etc) likely has <1900lb which once full of people, a full tank of fuel and an atv on the back is almost maxed out. I saw a half ton yesterday with 2 snowmobiles on the back on a deck and towing 2 more, it was wheely-ing down the road but im sure its owner thought it was absolutely fine as most people dont look at payloads and just think a truck is a truck. I only know more from buying a slide in camper which once reading into it and realising meant I had to sell my half ton truck and buy a 1-ton with over 4,000lb payload - which in the world of truck camping is still remarkably easy to overload without careful packing! In short - for a regular sized passenger vehicle I wouldnt worry about it, nobody else does. Or buy a bigger truck.

Oh and one final comment contrary to popular belief, if you are nearing payload limits get a gasser over a diesel (NOT for towing but for payload). The gas engines are lighter and hence allow higher payload of the vehicle, the heavy diesel engines in trucks can lower payload by around 500lbs! I reiterate before anybody argues with me that im talking about carrying/payload and not towing performance.

Last edited by Phaedru5; Apr 5th 2021 at 3:57 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2021, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Sunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phaedru5
Some vehicle payload figures include the weight of the driver, some dont, some with or without a full tank of fuel, etc. So if you really want to check then you'd need to know that for the specific vehicle. That said, for an SUV I dont think anybody ever looks at them and i really wouldnt worry. And you are correct that most trucks, especially half tons, have much lower payloads than people realise. A modern half ton (F150 etc) likely has <1900lb which once full of people, a full tank of fuel and an atv on the back is almost maxed out. I saw a half ton yesterday with 2 snowmobiles on the back on a deck and towing 2 more, it was wheely-ing down the road but im sure its owner thought it was absolutely fine as most people dont look at payloads and just think a truck is a truck. I only know more from buying a slide in camper which once reading into it and realising meant I had to sell my half ton truck and buy a 1-ton with over 4,000lb payload - which in the world of truck camping is still remarkably easy to overload without careful packing! In short - for a regular sized passenger vehicle I wouldnt worry about it, nobody else does. Or buy a bigger truck.

Oh and one final comment contrary to popular belief, if you are nearing payload limits get a gasser over a diesel (NOT for towing but for payload). The gas engines are lighter and hence allow higher payload of the vehicle, the heavy diesel engines in trucks can lower payload by around 500lbs! I reiterate before anybody argues with me that im talking about carrying/payload and not towing performance.
What 1-ton did you go for? I'm looking to get a GMC Sierra 3500HD when I get out to BC as we plan to spend our first year exploring Canada in a truck/camper before settling down. My inlaws have a Sierra 2500 which is still on the road after 12 years.
Old Apr 5th 2021, 4:54 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunnybrae
What 1-ton did you go for? I'm looking to get a GMC Sierra 3500HD when I get out to BC as we plan to spend our first year exploring Canada in a truck/camper before settling down. My inlaws have a Sierra 2500 which is still on the road after 12 years.
Exactly that - great choice! I traded my 2014 Sierra 1500 to a 2017 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW (single rear wheel) with the 6.0L V8 vortec engine. Hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned I LOVE it! Check out Bigfoot campers for year round camping - highly recommended.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Sunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly that - great choice! I traded my 2014 Sierra 1500 to a 2017 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW (single rear wheel) with the 6.0L V8 vortec engine. Hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned I LOVE it! Check out Bigfoot campers for year round camping - highly recommended.
Thanks, I'll have a look at Bigfoot but I've sorted of decided on a Northern Lite camper as they're made in BC
Old Apr 6th 2021, 10:08 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I'll have a look at Bigfoot but I've sorted of decided on a Northern Lite camper as they're made in BC
Okanagan campers/trailers come from Oliver and are quite popular. The factory used to be right in town but they bought an acreage and expanded some time ago.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Or buy a bigger truck.

I might just take the "buy a bigger truck" route for myself!! (she's not a fan of this idea).

Some of the 3/4 ton diesels have frankly awful payloads (and as tongue weight counts towards payload whilst they do tow better they don't necessarily tow more legally) sure I've seen some of the ram 2500s with a cummins stickered up at circa 1800lbs. Power wagon is lower still but a different beast (albeit one that's useless for overlanding).

Old Apr 6th 2021, 1:17 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

As are Bigfoot, in Armstrong just north of Vernon! NL were actually Bigfoot employees that left and started their own company using the same clamshell method of construction. I’m obviously biased, my neighbour is the boss and owner of Bigfoot, but personally prefer the interiors and the layouts of the Bigfoot over the NL, but both are good solid choices.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

As are Bigfoot, in Armstrong just north of Vernon! NL were actually Bigfoot employees that left and started their own company using the same clamshell method of construction. I’m obviously biased, my neighbour is the boss and owner of Bigfoot, but personally prefer the interiors and the layouts of the Bigfoot over the NL, but both are good solid choices.
I shall have a look, thanks - it's amazing what you can learn on here .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.