Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What we driving in canada ? Any good deals (post covid)

What we driving in canada ? Any good deals (post covid)

Old Sep 8th 2020, 11:59 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What we driving in canada ? Any good deals (post covid)

Originally Posted by dbd33
No one does that though do they? I'm unbothered by the brand whore thing with Harleys but it does drive me mad that they chunter along two abreast, often in rows, holding up the traffic. They're like RVs in being difficult to pass. I try to think "enthusiasts, indulge them" but, for me, Harleys lack the charm of pre-war cars or micro-cars and they lack the necessity of farm tractors, other vehicles that go at similar speeds. You claim they are capable of reaching the speed limit (in 4.5 seconds, indeed) so the operators are just being selfish in using them as they do. Hurry up, Harley drivers, for god's sake, you won't look less manly if your all white facial hair gets a bit ruffled.
Ahem....

https://www.motherjones.com/coronavi...navirus-cases/

Harley riders...
Old Sep 9th 2020, 12:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat

Shame about their relatives and the professionals who'll be treating them but a blessing for the traffic flows across North America.

I had a bit of an automotive surprise last week. At the beginning of the summer I bought a cheap manual convertible that has some chips and dents so as to have something to take to Costco and to drive fast on gravel roads. There were no Mustangs on offer that week so I got a BMW. I've now managed to lose the reflex of indicating and I've mastered studying myself in the mirror rather than the other cars when changing lanes (if I'd known I was going to drive a BMW I would have got a better face). I've driven it about 4,000 miles and nothing's fallen off so, with some nervousness, I took it to the dealer to have any deferred maintenance dealt with. They ran the key and advised that it has another 17,000km to the next oil change and it'll need new spark plugs ($360) next time it's serviced but the old ones are good for the 17,000 clicks. I walked out of the dealership without spending any money, I was dazed and confused.

The surprisingly reasonable cost of the parts (compared to Ford, $600 for spark plugs) and the long service intervals makes me wonder if, on a pure cost basis and assuming purchase, not lease, an out-of-lease BMW or Mercedes might be a better deal than a new Hyundai or Kia. The recent ones are ugly and automatic but so are the rice burners.

Old Sep 9th 2020, 3:44 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

When the 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime finally makes it to BC, this will probably be our last ever new vehicle that we purchase. I'm saving up now...

https://www.toyota.com/rav4prime/

Old Sep 15th 2020, 12:47 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Built down the road a bit.

Old Sep 15th 2020, 12:53 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Built down the road a bit.
What is it?
Old Sep 15th 2020, 3:21 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Problem with having old cars is they break. My 20 year old TT is bleeding power steering fluid everywhere. Needs surgery. Gotta drive the F150 tomorrow, that will feel huge.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 3:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Problem with having old cars is they break. My 20 year old TT is bleeding power steering fluid everywhere. Needs surgery. Gotta drive the F150 tomorrow, that will feel huge.
That is when I get rid of my cars, once they start being unreliable and problematic and needing repairs. I'd rather not even have a car since they cost a fair chunk to operate, but eh unless in Vancouver, transit is pretty poor.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 1:00 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
That is when I get rid of my cars, once they start being unreliable and problematic and needing repairs. I'd rather not even have a car since they cost a fair chunk to operate, but eh unless in Vancouver, transit is pretty poor.
I NEED a vehicle. There is no public transport where I live. They have even halved the school buses and are charging per child hor them to be used.

I've had this particular car for a while now and this is the 1st problem its had. We have old cars that are cheaper to buy, that we generally sell for what we bought them for after we've used them for a while. We do usually have a 'spare' something or other for the eventuality that something breaks. OHs passion is cars, he likes nothing more than fettling around or as he calls it playing.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 6:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I NEED a vehicle. There is no public transport where I live. They have even halved the school buses and are charging per child hor them to be used.

I've had this particular car for a while now and this is the 1st problem its had. We have old cars that are cheaper to buy, that we generally sell for what we bought them for after we've used them for a while. We do usually have a 'spare' something or other for the eventuality that something breaks. OHs passion is cars, he likes nothing more than fettling around or as he calls it playing.
Most of BC one really needs a car as well, transit just isn't a viable option in most of the province.

Sure Kelowna area has transit, but what takes 20 minutes by car will take 60 to 90 by bus, we needed to go to Vernon last week, took about an hour by car, looking at google transit to Vernon seems doable, but will take 2 1/2 hours one way or longer depending on day of the week and time of day.

Vancouver is really the only place in BC one could realistically not have a car, between transit and EVO, its not hard to get around, provided your not a shift worker, if you need to be at work at 4am, transit probably wont work even in Vancouver.

Old Sep 15th 2020, 6:53 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

What is it?
One of the most reliable cars ever built.
Toyota Corolla
Old Sep 16th 2020, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

GermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived in Canada in January 2019 and quickly bought a Jeep Compass 2.4. Quite a fun little car and my wife liked the size.
We then purchased a Volvo XC60 3.2 as my car. This is great and has done a reliable 20k km so far.
The Jeep was then swapped for a Ford F-150 5.0 in order to tow a 5000lbs+ travel trailer and stick a ATV on the back. So far so good with that, although I am still not 100% sure whether the diesel would have been the better choice for hauling.
I still miss the Audi A6 Allroad we had in Germany before we relocated, and was delighted to hear that Audi are bringing the new Allroad to Canada after 15 years of being absent - as cars go, the Allroad is as close to perfect as I have found.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
I find the opposite, trying sticking to the limit and they tailgate you like hell round here😠
It depends what you mean by "limit". If a road is posted 50mph/80kph, you should be going at 63/100 to fit in with the flow of the traffic as that's the accepted appropriate speed. Similarly, if one were to drive on a highway at 63mph the whole world would be below horns in frustration. I don't find that vehicles tailgate me but it is a pita that it's so common as it means one can hardly ever overtake just one vehicle, it's always the RV or Harley-Davidson or Prius and one or two cars that are right up their arse.
I should have clarified...Canadian politicians think that driving slower is the answer to everything. Other Canadians will say they agree with it when asked to not seem inconsiderate or rude, but their actual driving habits differ.
Old Sep 17th 2020, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
I should have clarified...Canadian politicians think that driving slower is the answer to everything. Other Canadians will say they agree with it when asked to not seem inconsiderate or rude, but their actual driving habits differ.
"Follow the rabbit." Be the second-fastest driver on most Canadian roads and life is sweet.
Old Sep 17th 2020, 12:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Gozit
Other Canadians will say they agree with it when asked to not seem inconsiderate or rude, but their actual driving habits differ.

Something that baffles me locally is how people know the order of go at specific crossroads. The way it goes in the UK, and I think this is probably the law here, it that vehicles turning across the traffic wait for vehicles going straight so, if you're turning left in Canada or right in the UK, you may have to wait for 10 cars going straight on. Here drivers are more polite so at one nearby junction, the vehicles turning are afforded the right of way and, at another, turns are taken. The first is on a hill and a lot of techniques locally derive from the needs of horse drawn vehicles (e.g. corner cutting into the oncoming lane, using the oncoming lane to slow down for a left turn) so that may be a factor. Approaching a junction for the first time involves "roll and go" or "dithering" while trying to guess what the most local looking person (usually the one with the round bale) is going to do.
Old Sep 17th 2020, 12:57 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
One of the most reliable cars ever built.
Toyota Corolla
Mines done 205k. Not a bother.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.