Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What we driving in canada ? Any good deals (post covid)

What we driving in canada ? Any good deals (post covid)

Old Sep 2nd 2020, 11:17 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What we driving in canada ? Any good deals (post covid)

Originally Posted by i_Seeker
I had the Murando for 3 weeks when I first arrived in Canada. I only got to drive it from the airport to our house, and for the final week.

It was an amazing car and made the shortlist of cars I wanted. The only thing I didn't like was the struggling grunts it made when accelerating. For example, if I was on a slip road joining the motorway, I could hear the car struggle as I tried to join the 401. Other than that, it was a fund car to drive.
I don't need a minivan/SUV thingy but I have to admit that the convertible version has attention grabbing looks. It's quite remarkable.
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 2:29 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by i_Seeker
I had the Murando for 3 weeks when I first arrived in Canada. I only got to drive it from the airport to our house, and for the final week.

It was an amazing car and made the shortlist of cars I wanted. The only thing I didn't like was the struggling grunts it made when accelerating. For example, if I was on a slip road joining the motorway, I could hear the car struggle as I tried to join the 401. Other than that, it was a fund car to drive.
Yep, that is a common issue with the Nissan CVT.
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 3:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Yep, that is a common issue with the Nissan CVT.

Oh, do they all have the Variomatic? That's pretty Granddad even for a minivan.
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 3:23 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I just can't with an SUV. I don't need the towing capacity or any kind of all-wheel drive, and there are just too many compromises inherent in the design of a tall square box with high roll centres. But I do appreciate the interior space (three kids, one of whom uses a wheelchair; assorted hangers-on frequently requiring a ride somewhere; occasional need to fit a 4x8 sheet of something in the back...). So a minivan was the obvious and inevitable choice. When we first arrived here in '06 I test drove several, and plumped for the Honda Odyssey. Replaced that a couple of years ago with a new version of the same thing - it was still going strong after 11 years but there were other long & complex reasons for having to replace it.

I also had a commuting econobox - a Hyundai Accent that was surprisingly fun to drive in a back-to-basics sort of a way: manual 'box, no traction control, small and light car on 175-section tires, gearing so short that the thing sounds like a sewing machine at highway speeds. Sadly, that also had to go as a 2-door hatch ceased to be a viable second car - it was replaced with a Mazda 5, that was the smallest vehicle avaialble with a sliding rear passenger door. That's not nearly so nice to drive - not as comfortable as the Odyssey, not as point-and-squirt as the Accent. When the time comes to replace it, I'm hoping there are better options in the plug-in-electric category: it doesn't need long range or particularly rapid acceleration, as it's mainly used for commuting or local dad-taxi duties. And electric cars are easy to convert to hand controls when that also becomes a thing in a handful of years!

After a surfeit of minivans, of course, I need a little bit of fun. That comes from a 1985 Morgan 4/4 4-seater, that has been in the family since my dad bought it new (after a 6-year wait), and that I imported to Canada in 2008. I am this generation's guardian of that for whichever of my kids expresses the strongest desire to take on ownership (assuming classic cars can still run by then) when I'm too old and decrepit to shoehorn myself into the driver's seat.

The Morgan costs less to insure annually than the tin-tops cost per month.
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 4:22 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oh, do they all have the Variomatic? That's pretty Granddad even for a minivan.
Pretty much all of the vehicles that are not built to face a heavy load have them.

https://www.mcneillnissan.com/blog/w...ls-have-a-cvt/
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 4:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Danny B
Pretty much all of the vehicles that are not built to face a heavy load have them.

https://www.mcneillnissan.com/blog/w...ls-have-a-cvt/

Wait I had a Nissan hire car one time, minivan, lots of Qs in the name, I rented it because I needed to drive a bus load of grandmothers around. That had a gearbox and quite a slick one for a van. I guess they must be dulled down for Canada.
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 5:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

As far as the NCD discount goes, some companies will take it into account given the correct documentation, some won't. The ones that do aren't necessarily cheaper than the ones that don't.

$1500 seems too good to be true although premiums do vary with postal code, are you in rural New Brunswick?
When I lived in Moncton my insurance was 950 a year on a 2014 VW passat. Moved to Windsor and it went up to 1280.

Johnson was always much cheaper than the others as they were the only ones that would accept NCD from UK.

Old Sep 2nd 2020, 5:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Multiple post - sausage fingers 😛

Old Sep 2nd 2020, 5:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Alex2201
When I lived in Moncton my insurance was 950 a year on a 2014 VW passat. Moved to Windsor and it went up to 1280.

Johnson was always much cheaper than the others as they were the only ones that would accept NCD from UK.

Lucky you didn't move to Brampton.
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Tell you a story.... when I was shopping for this vehicle I wanted to test drive an Ascent. The dealer here didn't have any that weren't already sold so couldn't be driven, or indeed sat in, and weren't getting any more in until after I needed to purchase (lease actually). So while it looked to be a nice vehicle, it got ruled out because I just couldn't buy one in time! The Pali gets somewhere around 11L/100km, actually the best economy of any vehicle I've driven (SUV's and trucks) since I've been in Canada.
That's so funny, we wanted to test drive the Kia Telluride (similar to Palisade as Hyundai and Kia are sister companies) but it was all sold out! So very similar to your story. They had one demo model but nothing for sale in for a long time. We did get to drive the demo car and it was even more spacious than the Ascent and very nice, so I can see why you went for it. In both the Ascent and Telluride I could sit in the third row (despite being 6'4") comfortably, with a little more room in the Telluride. The space was a big reason why we went for the Ascent.

We also test drove the Toyota Highlander Hybrid which was very impressive on fuel, but the third row was useless with no bucket for your feet. The Honda Pilot was also more cramped in the back and much more expensive (honestly I think Honda is relying a lot on brand loyalty and name recognition at this point). The worst we drove was a Nissan Pathfinder. Felt like a 2015 car not a 2020, and didn't have Apple Carplay which was a deal breaker.

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; Sep 2nd 2020 at 7:59 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2020, 1:41 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
T The worst we drove was a Nissan Pathfinder. Felt like a 2015 car not a 2020, and didn't have Apple Carplay which was a deal breaker.
The Pathfinder was a strong contender for us as it was lower priced than some alternatives and has a towing capability of 6000lb rather than 5000lb. But, like you, I felt it to be very dated and extremely dull. The Palisade is an altogether different vehicle.
Old Sep 3rd 2020, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Only this afternoon I was remembering my friend's funeral, and the 10 or 12 bikes right there beside the grave. You don't see that every day, and it would have been a bad time to joke about it. But most of the time...
Actually 85 HP for my FLHTC 2014 model. Translates as 0 - 60 in 4.5 seconds (which is of course not that fast for a motorbike, but will happily spank most 4 wheel boxes)!
Old Sep 4th 2020, 12:26 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Actually 85 HP for my FLHTC 2014 model. Translates as 0 - 60 in 4.5 seconds (which is of course not that fast for a motorbike, but will happily spank most 4 wheel boxes)!

No one does that though do they? I'm unbothered by the brand whore thing with Harleys but it does drive me mad that they chunter along two abreast, often in rows, holding up the traffic. They're like RVs in being difficult to pass. I try to think "enthusiasts, indulge them" but, for me, Harleys lack the charm of pre-war cars or micro-cars and they lack the necessity of farm tractors, other vehicles that go at similar speeds. You claim they are capable of reaching the speed limit (in 4.5 seconds, indeed) so the operators are just being selfish in using them as they do. Hurry up, Harley drivers, for god's sake, you won't look less manly if your all white facial hair gets a bit ruffled.

Old Sep 4th 2020, 1:34 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I'm unbothered by the brand whore thing
We were enlarging Larry's swimming pool, and I was running the mortar mixer, Larry (who had a big Honda racing team flag in the garage) was ferrying the mud in the aluminum pearl-handled racing wheelbarrow he stole from Wascana Parks, and George (who was a recently retired outlaw biker) was doing the very artful trowel work down in the pool. The good wheelbarrow got a flat, and we hoisted George's contractor's barrow off his truck and started using it. At one point George shouted up "How's that wheelbarrow working?" and Larry replied "Not bad, reminds me of my old Harley!" The air coming out of the pool was blue for a minute.
Old Sep 4th 2020, 11:48 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by caretaker
We were enlarging Larry's swimming pool
How the other half do live.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.