Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What we driving in canada ? Any good deals (post covid)

What we driving in canada ? Any good deals (post covid)

Old Aug 31st 2020, 3:22 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What we driving in canada ? Any good deals (post covid)

2020 Hyundai Pallisade. 8 Seater SUV with AWD so the acceptable alternative to a minivan. Tows 5000lb so I can haul my toys easily. (Needed more than the 3500lb limit for most smaller SUV/CUV's. such as the Escape)
Insurance? Not worth me sharing as what is good in one province ain't necessarily so for another. Johnson's would have been cheaper for a bundled vehicle and home insurance but they wouldn't insure my 14 year central heating oil tank. So thats getting replaced before the next insurance renewal so I can go with them!
Old Aug 31st 2020, 6:58 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
2020 Hyundai Pallisade. 8 Seater SUV with AWD so the acceptable alternative to a minivan. Tows 5000lb so I can haul my toys easily. (Needed more than the 3500lb limit for most smaller SUV/CUV's. such as the Escape)
Insurance? Not worth me sharing as what is good in one province ain't necessarily so for another. Johnson's would have been cheaper for a bundled vehicle and home insurance but they wouldn't insure my 14 year central heating oil tank. So thats getting replaced before the next insurance renewal so I can go with them!
That thing looks sweet.
Black with a dark window tint I hope
Old Aug 31st 2020, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Similar here! Just leased a Subaru Ascent. Best car I've ever driven, smooth ride, very quiet, comfortable and stupidly spacious. Needed the space as we have a live-in parent (mother in law) plus a toddler and our old Honda HR-V was constantly packed to the brim. Not a cheap car (payment is around $700/mo) nor is the gas bill (getting around ~12.5l/100km), but it was needed. With both rows of seats folded down the amount of cargo space is incredible for moving stuff around or deciding to buy a piece of furniture from Costco on a whim.

Old Aug 31st 2020, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

They are stupidly nice cars, we had a Kia Sorento as a hire car on a previous trip - convinced ourselves when we hopefully get across the pond we'd go for a telluride/palisade (99% the same car)

Assuming as you've gone for the 8 seater you haven't got the leather? seems to be a few complaints about the smell from the seats!

Old Sep 1st 2020, 12:19 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
That thing looks sweet.
Black with a dark window tint I hope
Dark Grey, no tint other than what comes as standard.

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Similar here! Just leased a Subaru Ascent. Best car I've ever driven, smooth ride, very quiet, comfortable and stupidly spacious. Needed the space as we have a live-in parent (mother in law) plus a toddler and our old Honda HR-V was constantly packed to the brim. Not a cheap car (payment is around $700/mo) nor is the gas bill (getting around ~12.5l/100km), but it was needed. With both rows of seats folded down the amount of cargo space is incredible for moving stuff around or deciding to buy a piece of furniture from Costco on a whim.
Tell you a story.... when I was shopping for this vehicle I wanted to test drive an Ascent. The dealer here didn't have any that weren't already sold so couldn't be driven, or indeed sat in, and weren't getting any more in until after I needed to purchase (lease actually). So while it looked to be a nice vehicle, it got ruled out because I just couldn't buy one in time! The Pali gets somewhere around 11L/100km, actually the best economy of any vehicle I've driven (SUV's and trucks) since I've been in Canada.

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
They are stupidly nice cars, we had a Kia Sorento as a hire car on a previous trip - convinced ourselves when we hopefully get across the pond we'd go for a telluride/palisade (99% the same car)

Assuming as you've gone for the 8 seater you haven't got the leather? seems to be a few complaints about the smell from the seats!
Sorento is nice - was the lower cost option (V6 will tow 5000lbs) but is smaller than the Pali. We don't need 8 seats as we only have two kids but we use the third row surprisingly often - taking an extra kid or two, or putting one in each row so they can't fight too badly.
We have the base model+AWD as couldn't justify the cost of the higher spec model so no leather. One thing that is bloody annoying (& seems to be a common complaint) is wind noise. Whistles from the front windows sounds like they aren't closed properly. Dealer has been unable to do anything about it so far.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Sorento is nice - was the lower cost option (V6 will tow 5000lbs) but is smaller than the Pali. We don't need 8 seats as we only have two kids but we use the third row surprisingly often - taking an extra kid or two, or putting one in each row so they can't fight too badly.
We have the base model+AWD as couldn't justify the cost of the higher spec model so no leather. One thing that is bloody annoying (& seems to be a common complaint) is wind noise. Whistles from the front windows sounds like they aren't closed properly. Dealer has been unable to do anything about it so far.
Yea, we were of the opinion if the Sorento was as a nice as it was the telluride/palisade must be next level, then watched a few video reviews and the other half was like "that's what we're having!!"

Theres just the 2 of us and the dogs, but got a 7 seater in the UK by chance, and now its just a case of it being too handy.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I drive the 'practical' Nissan Murano - AWD, 3.5l engine and of course a set of winter wheels. I was very keen to get an AWD and winter tyres (although depending on where you are, you might not need this so much, but plenty of snow and cold here in London, ON).

Fun vehicles are HD Electra Glide for me and 'coming soon' a Mazda MX5 rag top for SWMBO.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 5:21 pm
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Fun vehicles are HD Electra Glide for me and 'coming soon' a Mazda MX5 rag top for SWMBO.
HD ownership from observation here:
1) Dress like an extra from the Blue Oyster Bar or wannabe Sons of Anarchy, but with middle aged spread.
2) Have lots of chrome. Polish it often.
3) Ride to your local Timmies. Stand around with other like minded leatherclad middleaged guys. Compare chrome. Polish chrome some more. Drink coffee but in a badass-I'm-Easy-Rider-sort of way.
4) Ensure that your mighty steed is as noisy as possible. Loud pipes save lives apparently. Or maybe compensate for small genitalia? I can never quite be sure of which. Perhaps its both?
5) Ride home from Timmies.
6) Polish chrome some more.
7) Rinse and repeat.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 5:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

1) Dress like an extra from the Blue Oyster Bar or wannabe Sons of Anarchy, but with middle aged spread.
3) Ride to your local Timmies. Stand around with other like minded leatherclad middleaged guys. Compare chrome. Polish chrome some more. Drink coffee but in a badass-I'm-Easy-Rider-sort of way.
4) Ensure that your mighty steed is as noisy as possible. Loud pipes save lives apparently. Or maybe compensate for small genitalia? I can never quite be sure of which. Perhaps its both?
7) Rinse and repeat.
I think the image of the biker as renegade died with Steve McQueen.

A colleague has a large motorcycle of the "RV on wheels" variety. . This week he noted that "fall" is coming and he'd had to activate his heated handlebars.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

7) Rinse and repeat.
You forgot:

8) Wear HD dealer T-shirts from places you have never been
9) Brag about Daytona / Sturgis trips when you have never been
10) Change your pipes at least once every 2 years
11) Brag up x,000km trips you are going to do next year
Old Sep 1st 2020, 6:35 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

You forgot:

8) Wear HD dealer T-shirts from places you have never been
9) Brag about Daytona / Sturgis trips when you have never been
10) Change your pipes at least once every 2 years
11) Brag up x,000km trips you are going to do next year
12) Rev that bastard bike at all hours

Old Sep 1st 2020, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Danny B
12) Rev that bastard bike at all hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylhsbfQTPDQ
No, definitely NOT HD riders, we dont ride at night, either getting beer'd up, watching the hockey or asleep!
Old Sep 1st 2020, 7:19 pm
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think the image of the biker as renegade died with Steve McQueen.

A colleague has a large motorcycle of the "RV on wheels" variety. . This week he noted that "fall" is coming and he'd had to activate his heated handlebars.
Oh the imagery is very much still of the aspiring rebel (as Hurlabrick notes downthread with the T-shirts from exotic biker rallies the rider will never attend) but the reality, as in all things, is rather different. I have occasion a few times a year to go into the local HD place as they are also the local Arctic Cat dealer. The staff are all, Harley clad, fat middle aged blokes, sporting a variety of facial hair and the off bandana to be "on brand". I find the whole experience nail gratingly awful and I say that as a fat middle aged bloke with questionable facial hair myself. I am, I suppose the target demographic, but it's massively not my thing.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 10:40 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Only this afternoon I was remembering my friend's funeral, and the 10 or 12 bikes right there beside the grave. You don't see that every day, and it would have been a bad time to joke about it. But most of the time...

Old Sep 2nd 2020, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

i_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I drive the 'practical' Nissan Murano - AWD, 3.5l engine and of course a set of winter wheels. I was very keen to get an AWD and winter tyres (although depending on where you are, you might not need this so much, but plenty of snow and cold here in London, ON).

I had the Murando for 3 weeks when I first arrived in Canada. I only got to drive it from the airport to our house, and for the final week.

It was an amazing car and made the shortlist of cars I wanted. The only thing I didn't like was the struggling grunts it made when accelerating. For example, if I was on a slip road joining the motorway, I could hear the car struggle as I tried to join the 401. Other than that, it was a fund car to drive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.