Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What we driving in canada ? Any good deals (post covid)

What we driving in canada ? Any good deals (post covid)

Old Aug 28th 2020, 11:19 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What we driving in canada ? Any good deals (post covid)

My daily driver is a 2000 Audi TT, OH's is a 2009 F150, my Ford Capri is in the shop getting paint, OH's Ford Gran Torino is also getting paint, have done much classic car cruising this year but I treated myself to a Yamaha R3, OH has been getting more experience on his Triumph Daytona.

Got rid of a load of cars, picked up a few of bargains, slowly decreasing the collection ready for our future postponed again move.
Old Aug 30th 2020, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
I drive a 2017 Ford Focus ST. It's manual, it's quick and it's decent on petrol - though I only put 91/93/94 octane gas in it. It's also gotten me a couple "speeding" tickets given Canadians seem to think driving slower is the answer to preventing all car accidents.

Ford usually has good employee pricing this time of year.
I find the opposite, trying sticking to the limit and they tailgate you like hell round here😠
Old Aug 30th 2020, 6:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
I find the opposite, trying sticking to the limit and they tailgate you like hell round here😠
It depends what you mean by "limit". If a road is posted 50mph/80kph, you should be going at 63/100 to fit in with the flow of the traffic as that's the accepted appropriate speed. Similarly, if one were to drive on a highway at 63mph the whole world would be below horns in frustration. I don't find that vehicles tailgate me but it is a pita that it's so common as it means one can hardly ever overtake just one vehicle, it's always the RV or Harley-Davidson or Prius and one or two cars that are right up their arse.
Old Aug 30th 2020, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

i_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be driving a 2018 Honda CRV Touring. It's a great car for the price that suits my needs. The insurance though...
Old Aug 30th 2020, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

i_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
We have a 2019 Honda CRV... It is a beige cardigan on wheels, it goes well with my beige bungalow in the suburbs. It has a big boot and the Mrs likes it so there is that.... How did I get here? 😢
May I ask how much you pay on insurance and what company you went with? I am going to go with Johnson's, but they are charging me $4,300 even with 10 years NCD!
Old Aug 30th 2020, 10:19 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It depends what you mean by "limit". If a road is posted 50mph/80kph, you should be going at 63/100 to fit in with the flow of the traffic as that's the accepted appropriate speed. Similarly, if one were to drive on a highway at 63mph the whole world would be below horns in frustration. I don't find that vehicles tailgate me but it is a pita that it's so common as it means one can hardly ever overtake just one vehicle, it's always the RV or Harley-Davidson or Prius and one or two cars that are right up their arse.
Of course that depends on the road and the traffic. Cleave to the Tao.
Old Aug 30th 2020, 10:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by i_Seeker
May I ask how much you pay on insurance and what company you went with? I am going to go with Johnson's, but they are charging me $4,300 even with 10 years NCD!
Jeezy Creezy 😲😲😲 4 grand!! 😲😲😲 we are with Johnson, just had our renewal and it went up from 1280 to 1580. I went ballistic at that. Phoned everyone and his dog but nearest I could get to it was 1700. One broker explained that nearly everyone is going to be paying a lot more this year and that for what Johnson are quoting I would be unlikely to beat it.

I really wish that they would teach the locals to drive properly. It's legalized theft.
Old Aug 30th 2020, 11:04 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I like the minivan (Windstar, for all it's faults), and when I get my next one, if it's sage or grey or anything close, I'm going to try to write in the colour on the registration as greige. I owe that to dbd33.
Old Aug 30th 2020, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

I was quoted $1500 for a minivan. I put down for full NCD as that's what I have in the UK - just assuming it's transferable in some way. Been told that over here you insure the car basically for any driver and its just the policy holder's driving record and claims experience that they use to work out the premium. If that is the case and there are a few in the family sharing a car it's probably not too bad. If it's just 1 driver then not so good.
Old Aug 30th 2020, 11:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Good lord. I was paying that back in 1997-2000 range but I was under 21 and inexperienced with an accident, I'd stop driving at insurance like that.

And I thought the $2,040/yr we paid in Vancouver was bad, holy moly is that high.
Old Aug 30th 2020, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

It's a disgrace how expensive it is. I have a a couple of questions.

It seems that the majority Canadian insurance companies don't care about your driving experience in the UK, except when it allows them to up your premiums.

I have 10 years no claims and 2 accidents, 1 at fault and 1 not at fault.

Websites like Kanetix.ca ask you how long you have had your licence for, without specifying where from.

So, I could look at it both ways:

1. I assume they allow me to include my UK driving experience and disclose the 2 accidents.

2. My UK driving experience means nothing and I don't include my accidents.

Which sounds best?

Is it morally OK?

It doesn't seem fair that they can disregard my driving experience in the UK as if I have never driven, but accept accidents from a time I supposedly never drove!

An Aviva rep told me to include my driving experience and omit the accidents as they are not traceable here in Canada. I don't know about this option as it seems morally sketchy...

Last edited by i_Seeker; Aug 31st 2020 at 12:43 am.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 12:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
I was quoted $1500 for a minivan. I put down for full NCD as that's what I have in the UK - just assuming it's transferable in some way. Been told that over here you insure the car basically for any driver and its just the policy holder's driving record and claims experience that they use to work out the premium. If that is the case and there are a few in the family sharing a car it's probably not too bad. If it's just 1 driver then not so good.
That's not quite right. The car is typically insured for any driver and the premium is based on the history of the primary driver but there will be supplementary questions on the application such as "is anyone in the household under 25 and licensed to drive". If the answer is yes then the premium will be increased to cover the possibility of the young driver operating the vehicle. It is possible to have the driver excluded so the vehicle is then insured for "any driver except Eric Smithers" but this is common only in the case of exotic vehicles. There will be other questions about other drivers in the household, the answers may affect the premium.

As far as the NCD discount goes, some companies will take it into account given the correct documentation, some won't. The ones that do aren't necessarily cheaper than the ones that don't.

$1500 seems too good to be true although premiums do vary with postal code, are you in rural New Brunswick?
Old Aug 31st 2020, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

That's not quite right. The car is typically insured for any driver and the premium is based on the history of the primary driver but there will be supplementary questions on the application such as "is anyone in the household under 25 and licensed to drive". If the answer is yes then the premium will be increased to cover the possibility of the young driver operating the vehicle. It is possible to have the driver excluded so the vehicle is then insured for "any driver except Eric Smithers" but this is common only in the case of exotic vehicles. There will be other questions about other drivers in the household, the answers may affect the premium.

As far as the NCD discount goes, some companies will take it into account given the correct documentation, some won't. The ones that do aren't necessarily cheaper than the ones that don't.

$1500 seems too good to be true although premiums do vary with postal code, are you in rural New Brunswick?
This is correct, Johnson's take NCD but are not the cheapest...
Old Aug 31st 2020, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

Mine too. Hence this one for sunny days:

Niiiiiice, very nice.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 11:02 am
Assimilated Pauper

Niiiiiice, very nice.

Thanks but it's a bit too nice to be practical. I try to avoid gravel roads (which is most of them around here) and supermarket car parks so it's really a Sunday driver (32 miles yesterday at an average of 56mph according to the onboard computer). I bought a car that's a bit more worn for summer weekdays.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.