Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What are we doing wrong

What are we doing wrong

Old Nov 14th 2013, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

floydandos wife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What are we doing wrong

Hi I have been applying for jobs for my husband in the hope we can get into Canada via the skilled worker immigration programme but to no avail!!
My husband is a sub station/power station electrician with over 20 years experience in the industry. After attending a working abroad expo we were told to apply to CANA but have had no response despite numerous emails.

What are we doing wrong?? should we be paying someone to find us a job etc, any advice would be greatly received as we have sold our home and desperate to make the move in the next few months.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 4:02 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are we doing wrong

Originally Posted by floydandos wife
Hi I have been applying for jobs for my husband in the hope we can get into Canada via the skilled worker immigration programme but to no avail!!
My husband is a sub station/power station electrician with over 20 years experience in the industry. After attending a working abroad expo we were told to apply to CANA but have had no response despite numerous emails.

What are we doing wrong?? should we be paying someone to find us a job etc, any advice would be greatly received as we have sold our home and desperate to make the move in the next few months.
You need to call them - e-mails are great but to obtain any real response from Employers here in Canada, you need to call.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 4:06 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Where in Canada are you hoping to move to? Have you visited the area you favour? Face to face interaction here is so much more effective than emails.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 4:34 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

That area of work is obviously popular and very competitive. Those expos are good only as a window shopping exercise, and they are bound to tell you that everything is rosy here

Hopefully you didn't pay them?

There is a power plant in the Durham region Ontario, as well as in Simcoe
Old Nov 14th 2013, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

There's a new generating station about to be built near Napanee, Ontario.

You can either live in a small town like Napanee or Kingston is bigger and within commuting distance.

More info here

http://www.napaneegs.com/
Old Nov 14th 2013, 6:15 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

loads of work in this area in BC at the mo.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 4:14 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

1. You are applying for him. It is a bit like his mum coming to an interview to make sure he is OK.

2. You are relying on e-mail. E-mail is a good tool for follow up. Ideally he should come out to Canada and pound the pavement a bit. Meet potential employers and drop off resumes. This shows commitment to the job serch and to immigration. E-mail is too passive for a proactive job search unless he is replying to an advertised job that asks for e-mail responses.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

You ideally need to get on a plane and come meet people, do some rounds of potential employers and try and set up meetings.
You could make some call's and let employers know when you will be in Canada and try to arrange interviews before hand.

Recruitment is very different here, Canadians like to speak in person and don't underestimate how much you need to network.

TBH here I've found that it does not matter how much experience you have or even the words that come out of your mouth at interview, what matters is if they like you or if you know someone. I even used to dress smart at interviews but not anymore, I found it makes no difference.
Both my most recent jobs I only got because I knew someone that already worked there. Of course experience helps and quite a few people seem to secure jobs before moving to Canada so it is possible but you will have a better chance if your here in person.

With the time it takes for you to secure a job and then to apply for a LMO or PNP unless you already have the right to work here it is unlikely you could be in Canada working in just a few months, something to bear in mind.

Good luck

Last edited by tee1; Nov 15th 2013 at 7:24 am.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 8:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add to the excellent advise given above (read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki to understand how differently you need to do things), you are aware that you'll be going over on a Temp Work Permit first if you want to apply as a Skilled Worker?

Best of luck to you.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Thank you all for the useful advice.

I think getting on a plane sounds like a good idea!!
Old Nov 15th 2013, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute

Let us all know how you get on and good luck
Old Nov 15th 2013, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

Is it CANA, the construction company, or ENCANA, the energy company?

If its CANA, I worked for them for 3 years and have a few contacts still, I can pm you phone numbers.

Cana as a few sub companies, but I wasn't aware they done much electrical work, any job I was on was subbed out. Here in Calgary, the electricity provider is Enmax.

Hope this helps
Old Nov 15th 2013, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Hi yes CANA constuction the high voltage substation electricians, and any help would be greatly appreciated.
As you can see from my earlier messages I think perhaps if he could arrange meetings and fly out we may have more luck!!
How is CALGARY?? it is one of our preferred destination choices.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 1:40 pm
Happy in Alberta

sms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud of

My father in law is an instrument technician/electrician who previously worked at Sellafield for BNFL ( Nuclear plant). He was head hunted by a canadian company 4 years ago. He originally worked up north on the oil patches but now has more normal hours working for a local company near Red Deer (about 1.5 hours drive from Calgary). My OH and myself have recently moved to this area from the UK (March) but previous to moving my OH booked flights and went round door to door leaving resumes and asking to talk to recruiters. At the end of his two week visit he came back to the UK with 8 job offers! I cant recommend highly enough getting on a plane and doing some proper job hunting! I can also highly recommend the Red Deer area to live, we actually live 40km north but commute everyday to work and it's no problem at all! Good luck
Old Nov 30th 2013, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

definitely you need to speak to people face to face - But if you cannot start next week, don't bother!

You have to be here and be ready to get started.

Living very near to Napanee with have a couple of huge power plants and solar fields close by

Or be realistic and take some crappy entry level position at $11 p/h just to get in the work force like I did....... It took me on a totally different career path and I am now regional manager and enjoying the rewards of that "I have to do something" attitude.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.