Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What time of year to emigrate?

What time of year to emigrate?

Old Feb 25th 2010, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

lcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of light
Default What time of year to emigrate?

We're hoping to have our PR visas ready to head out to London, Ontario in the next few months - family including 4 children from age 6-13.
Ideally we'd like to make the move at the end of July - after the school year ends here, and before the new school year begins in Ontario, but a delay now would hold that up.
We are anticipating the advantages of moving during the holiday period, starting new schools at the beginning of the school year, enjoying better weather, at the right time for ice hockey team trials, avoiding a move during the winter, etc.
But does it really matter when we move?
Are there real advantages or disadvantages that we haven't thought of to moving at a particular time of year?
Grateful for your thoughts.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really nice
Default Re: What time of year to emigrate?

Hi

We moved to London in early April just as the winter was ending. It gave us a chance to settle in before the summer. Mind you our kids were younger then - 5 and 3 so schooling wasn't as much of an issue for us at that time. We've been here for almost 6 years and still love it.

As far as the best time to move is concerned, there are pros and cons to any time of the year. If you move during the school year, the kids get a chance to meet new friends and settle in quickly. On the other hand, moving during the summer, gives you all a chance to see the place at its best and enjoy it before the winter

Chris
Old Feb 25th 2010, 12:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lcar
t
But does it really matter when we move?
Are there real advantages or disadvantages that we haven't thought of to moving at a particular time of year?
Grateful for your thoughts.
All valid reasons, and for school age kids sakes working around the school terms makes sense, but ultimately, no, I dont think it really matters too much. I arrived in February, I thought that worked out OK for me, I got a taster of winter, but not too much, and then got to enjoy a long summer and find my feet here.

If you are bringing a lot of stuff with you its worrth noting that moving in the winter is a pain, so perhaps best avoided, and I wouldnt choose to arrive in November or December with a long cold winter ahead, not unless I was a keen skier anyway.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

I moved in January, worst winter apparently since 1972!

Still worked out for us, thing is if you are really determined it wont matter to you, we knew someone who did a reccie first and moved here in July and then went back to the UK after less than a week
Old Feb 25th 2010, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

lcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for your insights.
I think you are right, and with a positive outlook and determination, it probably doesn't matter - though I can imagine that winter removals are more difficult!
We are at the mercy of fate (and CIC!), so we won't necessarily be able to choose when we finally move. But I'm sure that where there is a will - things will work out.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 12:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pammy
we knew someone who did a reccie first and moved here in July and then went back to the UK after less than a week
That's mind boggling!
Old Feb 25th 2010, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iaink
That's mind boggling!
It was, weird thing was I was in safeway back home and swore I saw his wife but thought I was tripping and no-one believed me, then of course it became common knowledge that they came back, he never told his new boss in Canada, they were keeping their dog that they took over too at his acreage, they 'took it for a walk' bought a brand new carrier for it(so the boss wouldn't guess!)got on a flight and went back home, the poor dog was stuck in quarantine for 6 months....talk about an expensive trip!
Old Feb 25th 2010, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pammy
It was, weird thing was I was in safeway back home and swore I saw his wife but thought I was tripping and no-one believed me, then of course it became common knowledge that they came back, he never told his new boss in Canada, they were keeping their dog that they took over too at his acreage, they 'took it for a walk' bought a brand new carrier for it(so the boss wouldn't guess!)got on a flight and went back home, the poor dog was stuck in quarantine for 6 months....talk about an expensive trip!
Wow - I wish I was that decisive!
Old Feb 25th 2010, 1:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by lcar
Wow - I wish I was that decisive!
I wish I was that wealthy
Old Feb 25th 2010, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it really matters all that much when you move but fitting in around school terms does make sense as the kids will then be able to start school along with everyone else rather than joining half way through the school year.

Having said that, we moved here in April 4 years ago with 4 kids aged between 8 and 2. They started school a couple of weeks later and didn't seem to find too many problems despite it not being the beginning of the school year.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
I wish I was that wealthy
He he, he sold his business to move to Canada, went back, they wouldn't sell him his share back, he had given his son his house, he would not let them move back in so they had to rent somewhere...happy families!
Old Feb 25th 2010, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

SimonB1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

I emigrated to London, Ontario in March 1990.
It was cold for 4 weeks, then hit 29 deg C by the end of April.
No garauntees on the weather here, any month!
Hope all works out for you, if you get to london, we will help anyway we can!

Simon.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

lifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to all

We moved out mid June which worked out well for us. Whilst we sorted ourselves out it was great to be able to just go to local parks, outdoor pools, picnic by the lake etc with the kids. Our limited supply of clothing, furniture or toys didn't seem to matter so much at that time of year.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Whelan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

We are moving out to St Thomas area on 14 April 2010

Really scared but soooooooooooooo excited!!!!!!!!

We have 2 children aged 11 & 2 and wanted to be there before summer hols begin so my daughter will hopefully have made some friends in her new school.(mind you got to find school first)

We really unsure of what to do with regards to trying to rent before we come or stay in hotel first for 2 weeks and search when we get there. We been looking on net at local papers etc but does not seem to be much around to rent!!!!! Hopefully there will be more luck when we get there!!! Really don't want to buy yet as exchange rate is so low

However from what I understand unless you have permenant address set up we not able to have PR card or SIN number. Is this correct? Also we need the SIN asap as we need to find work!!!!!

If anyone lives in this area PLEASE PLEASE could you try to give us some advice & help on what to do, as time is ticking away and we will be on our way before we know it-YIPPEE

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Old Feb 28th 2010, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

SimonB1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

Whelan, not much in St Thomas right now, area has been devasted by the latest recession.
Never rented here, stayed in a motel for a week, jobs are scarce right now. London is doink OK< but again, not many new jobs.
Not sure about the SIN, I didn't buy anything for a year and got my SIN no probs.
What kind of work are you looking for?

Good luck, Simon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.