Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What are these black plastic things on the bonnets of cars?

What are these black plastic things on the bonnets of cars?

Old Sep 19th 2010, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

jameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to all
Default What are these black plastic things on the bonnets of cars?

Roughly 50% of the cars I see over here have a black plastic piece attached to the front of the bonnet...

What are they and what advantage do they bring?

Its just curiosity!
Old Sep 19th 2010, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

johnehsmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What are these black plastic things on the bonnets of cars?

Originally Posted by jameswales
Roughly 50% of the cars I see over here have a black plastic piece attached to the front of the bonnet...

What are they and what advantage do they bring?

Its just curiosity!

I think its to protect the front of the car in winter. What with all the salt
and slush theres a lot of rusting going on so I think these are to protect
the car from that.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 7:19 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're alluding to car bra(s). Used mainly on high performance cars to protect from stones and salt.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 7:25 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

It does sound like your referring to car bra's, protects from stone chips. However, most people who think these are an attractive addition to their vehicle (similar to those that bolt every chrome accessory ever made for their truck to their truck) do not think to clean underneath them, ever, which leads to it's own set of problems, rust being one of them.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 7:54 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I think you're alluding to car bra(s). Used mainly on high performance cars to protect from stones and salt.
Or he could just as easily be referring to a bug deflector.

Which is designed to change the airflow over the hood and deflect bugs away from the windshield.

Old Sep 19th 2010, 8:04 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P

Which is designed to change the airflow over the hood and deflect bugs away from the windshield.

http://www.carid.com/images/deflecto...lector-4_l.jpg
never seen one of those
Old Sep 19th 2010, 8:05 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fledermaus
never seen one of those
You need to get out more.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

You need to get out more.
You think?
Old Sep 19th 2010, 8:19 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

These are also helpful if you can't see the end of the bonnet (hood) for parking, it's a good indicator to how much space you have when parking.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 8:36 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

They don't work that well though.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by The Aviator
I think they are better than not having one - especially when parking They do actually keep some but not all bugs from sticking to the windshield.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I think they are better than not having one - especially when parking They do actually keep some but not all bugs from sticking to the windshield.
I just dodge the bugs. Must do as I've never found it a problem.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 9:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
My Old Sube came with one, eventually after it was hit one rock too many it broke.

After it was gone it seemed there were a few more big strikes on the windscreen. It wasnt like night and day though. If nothing else it protected the hood from a large rock dent!

Both newer cars have slipperier aerodynamics, and dont suffer nearly as badly from bug strikes. The Honda seems almost immune to them.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 9:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I just dodge the bugs. Must do as I've never found it a problem.
Drive alongside the river between Frankford and Stirling a few times in the spring
Old Sep 19th 2010, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iaink
Drive alongside the river between Frankford and Stirling a few times in the spring
Problems even in the Honda?

(are you on broadband now Iain or at work? it is Sunday isnt it?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.