Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What salary for $650,000 mortgage

What salary for $650,000 mortgage

Old Mar 15th 2015, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What salary for $650,000 mortgage

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I understand some come here for a better life, but considering the average family in Canada combined makes around 75,000 a year and can still manage to live in a house, have cars, take vacations, have kids and so on, it's very realistic to live on that amount of money.

Like I said if someone can make 75k on their own, they are well above average and may not always be in touch with what most of the population lives on.

75k a year is not living check to check in my view, a couple like us making 29,000 a year, that is living check to check, and yes I do complain about not having enough because the cost of everything especially food and rent is going up so quickly, and our income is and will be stagnant for the foreseeable future, and well its scary and frustrating as there isn't much else to cut back on to cover the increases in cost.

I suppose it all boils down to what your used to, we could quite happily live on 75k and have so much left to save it would not even be funny.

I am simply trying to point out that if everyone on less then 75k lived only in basement suites and rooms, there would be boatloads of houses sitting empty, since there are not, and since most people don't make over 75k, its very doable and still possible to have a quality life.

Most immigrants from western countries to other western countries tend to be above average to start with, and not always in tune to what most in the country live like and earn.

Take my area, median wage is 70,000 something, average rent for a 1 bedroom apartment is 1,100 or so now, closer to 1,500 for a 2 and over 2k for a house, not a huge different in rent between the low end and high end.
Life's what you make it
Main reason I came to Canada was for the experience and more quality of life.
Earning more money only simply to have a huge mortgage and service loads of debt = quality of life ?
Everyone's idea of a happy life can come in different shapes and sizes.
My advice for what's it's worth is try enjoy the journey what ever your 'ride' maybe
All the best
Old Mar 15th 2015, 5:51 pm
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jericho79

I dont know enough about those areas to comment, but when I was on $75k, my take home pay was $4400 p/month give or take. We did not have a big house, nice car, jet ski's, etc, and had no holidays. This was AB, which has lower taxes than Ontario, so your take home would be less, and you'd be paying 8% (or 10%??) more in GST.
I see you bought into the myth that Albertans pay less payroll taxes just like most Albertans still do. The 10% provincial flat tax is not kind to lower and middle income earners.

Example $70,000 annual income Alberta taxes $15,874 - $70,000 annual income Ontario taxes $14,924

(I chose $70,000 as it was closest in the graph to the $75,000 you were on.)

It's all in the graph in this CBC article "Tax season 2015: Where in Canada do you pay the most tax?"

Cheers
Steve
(Not the grumpy Know-it-all)

Last edited by Tinpusher63; Mar 15th 2015 at 5:57 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2015, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

This thread makes me feel odd - around me, people earning 100K seem to be on 700K mortgages minimum.
Old Mar 15th 2015, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joinerboy
Life's what you make it
Main reason I came to Canada was for the experience and more quality of life.
Earning more money only simply to have a huge mortgage and service loads of debt = quality of life ?
Everyone's idea of a happy life can come in different shapes and sizes.
My advice for what's it's worth is try enjoy the journey what ever your 'ride' maybe
All the best
Very nice if you can remember this attitude - need more reminders
Old Mar 15th 2015, 7:16 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
That is so cool. My great uncle had I don't even know how many car's, mostly from the 20's through 50's models. (He was born in 1912, so it was his era) some were originals, some were just frames, some were replica's, but he had several large garages full of them on his property.

He was a doctor so had good income and not sure if he was a saavy investor, but he also bought stock during IPO's of very large well known companies today and made a fortune off those so he could add to his collection.

Not sure what happened to his cars when he died, I think his kids probably sold them.
It makes for a fun and interesting life thats for sure, we get some cool trips and meet some very interesting people, some who become firm friends. Its also more fun than just shoving investment dollars into the bank
Old Mar 15th 2015, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dishwashing
This thread makes me feel odd - around me, people earning 100K seem to be on 700K mortgages minimum.
...and probably a $90k lifted Ram 3500 on 96 month credit terms...
Old Mar 15th 2015, 8:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tinpusher63
I see you bought into the myth that Albertans pay less payroll taxes just like most Albertans still do. The 10% provincial flat tax is not kind to lower and middle income earners.

Example $70,000 annual income Alberta taxes $15,874 - $70,000 annual income Ontario taxes $14,924

(I chose $70,000 as it was closest in the graph to the $75,000 you were on.)

It's all in the graph in this CBC article "Tax season 2015: Where in Canada do you pay the most tax?"

Cheers
Steve
(Not the grumpy Know-it-all)
Remind me never to move to Quebec, they seem to be at the top or near the top for every income level.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

russjp will become famous soon enoughrussjp will become famous soon enough

You should maybe look at living outside of Regina, we live 45 mins from the city and have just bought a 4 bed house for $235,000
Old Mar 16th 2015, 1:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by russjp
You should maybe look at living outside of Regina, we live 45 mins from the city and have just bought a 4 bed house for $235,000
Are there jobs in Regina?

I found from living in cheaper area's is the wages end up being low, and by the time all is said and done, nothing really changed.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

russjp will become famous soon enoughrussjp will become famous soon enough

There appears to be plenty of work in Regina depending on your field of expertise