Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What is nova scotia like

What is nova scotia like

Old Apr 30th 2012, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

Vicky1001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile What is nova scotia like

Hi we are thinking of going to nova scotia and where wondering wht type of place it is to live and work
Old Apr 30th 2012, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is nova scotia like

Originally Posted by Vicky1001
Hi we are thinking of going to nova scotia and where wondering wht type of place it is to live and work
Most of NS is rural. The only large town, by UK standards is Halifax where there are jobs and shops. Otherwise it's pretty quiet.
I live right down at the bottom of the province. 7500 people in Yarmouth and not many jobs or shops.
We're happy here now we're used to it. Depends what you're looking for...
Old May 1st 2012, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

'can' and 'worms' spring to mind ;-)

but seriously, it depends what you are looking for in life

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=741954

good luck!
Old May 1st 2012, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

definitely depends what you're looking for. If you want a bustling nightlife, lots of shops and activities, then Halifax is your only option (and if you're comparing it with London or Manchester then it might not be bustling enough for you!) However if you're looking for quiet rural and don't mind driving to the shops, then it might be for you.
Work is the main thing - most towns other than Halifax are pretty small, so it's whether you can find work to do that would be the main thing
Old May 1st 2012, 6:12 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vicky1001
A good place
Old May 1st 2012, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still very keen to discover Nova Scotia ... as I have heard several good reviews and only a few negatives! ... one day!!!

All the best.
Old May 1st 2012, 7:07 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

It's a place where a lot of people leave to move West to where the jobs are. That's why they need immigrants cos people keep leaving. Most Canadians wouldn't move there.

However, you can buy a big fancy spread for cheap and lots of toys and lord it over the locals now you're upper middle class. That might be fun.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; May 1st 2012 at 7:14 pm.
Old May 1st 2012, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
It's a place where a lot of people leave to move West to where the jobs are. That's why they need immigrants cos people keep leaving. Most Canadians wouldn't move there.
Sadly that's very true. They do come back when they're old though. We like it. It has everything we need...
Old May 1st 2012, 7:15 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Sadly that's very true. They do come back when they're old though. We like it. It has everything we need...
You guys have the right attitude
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
You guys have the right attitude
Old May 6th 2012, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

aelfryth is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there any call for childminders in NS??
This is my profession in UK and we have also been looking at moving to NS, Hubby is a driver and we are both self employed. He wants to pass his HGV class 1or 2 whatever one lets him drive the big lorries here and i want to continue working with children as i love it sooo much.
We are currently in UK ans still doing our research and saving hard so that we have enough money to move and live when we eventually get there, but if there is no call for my proffession then i may look at moving to another province :-( That would be a shame as i have totally fallen in love with NS.
I would even be a live out carer if i have to!!

Hope someone can help and sorry to hijack your thread vicky1001 xx
Old May 6th 2012, 3:53 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aelfryth
Is there any call for childminders in NS??
This is my profession in UK and we have also been looking at moving to NS, Hubby is a driver and we are both self employed. He wants to pass his HGV class 1or 2 whatever one lets him drive the big lorries here and i want to continue working with children as i love it sooo much.
We are currently in UK ans still doing our research and saving hard so that we have enough money to move and live when we eventually get there, but if there is no call for my proffession then i may look at moving to another province :-( That would be a shame as i have totally fallen in love with NS.
I would even be a live out carer if i have to!!

Hope someone can help and sorry to hijack your thread vicky1001 xx
There is a call for child are all over the world, you can in NS be a childminder with up to 8 kids unregulated but anymore and you have to go through proper regulations, many people do it here.

I am an ece (nursery nurse)

I love being in NS but I can't exactly compare it to any other place in Canada as I haven't lived anywhere else. I just love the landscapes, nature, people, small city, the Scottish/Irish history, the weather.. I could go on.. But it all depends on what you want out of life and what each province can give you.
Old May 6th 2012, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

... maybe we can relocate to Nova Scotia in our twilight years, sounds like a plan to me! lol

We are in Kelowna, Okanagan Valley and the job hunting opportunities here are pretty grim, as Kelowna has always been tough for employment.

All the best.
Old May 6th 2012, 8:32 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SivoxII
... maybe we can relocate to Nova Scotia in our twilight years, sounds like a plan to me! lol

We are in Kelowna, Okanagan Valley and the job hunting opportunities here are pretty grim, as Kelowna has always been tough for employment.

All the best.

NS has a low amount of jobs and people have difficulty, I am lucky to be in a profession that is sought after everywhere.
Old May 11th 2012, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of

As DandNHill said, Halifax is the biggest city in NS. A friend of mine came here and was told Spring Garden Road is the only high-end shopping street in the city, she was shocked. In most European cities, it won't even be qualified as a shopping center.

Having said that, if you like the nature, it is a great place to live, trails, fishing, hunting, boating, plenty of activities.

NS is one of the least destinations for the international immigration as it is one of the highest income tax in Canada and offers rather limit job opportunities, but it is one of the most interprovincial migration in Canada.

*****************From http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/91-209-...**************

The migratory balance for Nova Scotia improved from 2007/2008 to 2008/2009. In 2008/2009 there were slightly fewer in-migrants (15,500) compared to 2007/2008 (16,000) but during this same time period the number of out-migrants also dropped (from 17,800 to 16,200). Nova Scotia had its largest migratory exchange with Alberta and although the flows remained in Alberta’s favour there was less out-migration to Alberta in 2008/2009 (4,500) compared to 2007/2008 (5,100). In-migration to Nova Scotia from the western province remained fairly stable over the two years (3,600 in 2007/2008 and 3,400 in 2008/2009). The balance of Nova Scotia’s exchange with Ontario changed from negative in 2007/2008 to positive in 2008/2009 given that close to 5,500 people left Nova Scotia for Ontario in 2007/2008 falling to 4,900 in 2008/2009 while 5,200 people arrived in Nova Scotia from the most populous province in each year.