Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What Makes People emmigrate

What Makes People emmigrate

Old May 23rd 2007, 2:47 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What Makes People emmigrate

Originally Posted by dbd33
Boring is the entire case for Canada. Nothing much ever happens. Peace, stability, reasonable order; it's like an uglier Switzerland.
Have to say after living through 30+ years of The Troubles in NI you should be bloody grateful for the peace and stability that we all crave here.
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:48 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

There aren't any jobs in the Outer Hebridies. I met someone from there just this past weekend, he lamented moving from somewhere so beautiful with so many World Heritage sites but you gotta eat.
Oh I dunno. We stayed with a former pig farmer who ran a B&B cum post office. His life seemed reasonably idyllic. Mind you the only 4 hours of daylight in the depths of winter would be a bore as would the not-being-able-to-do-anything-at-all-on-the-sabbath thing as well. We had a vision of Mrs AX teaching, me crofting a few potatoes, fishing a few lobster pots and selling pottery to tourists. It take long for reality to bite, but was pleasant enough while it lasted.
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:49 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bazzz
I think I must be living in a different country to the rest of you. The scenery here is fabulous - I take in mountain views, beaches and ocean on my cycle to work and run in awesome upland forests during my lunch break. It's far from boring - there's no end of outdoors things to do and plenty of great places to eat and drink.

In London the scenery was some overgrown grass, iron railings and a couple of ugly 1970s semis. My commute was being rammed sardine-like into a frequently stifling tube carriage.

Housing doesn't seem to be much more affordable, mind.
You live in Vancouver. Most Canadians don't.
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:51 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alison Annett
Have to say after living through 30+ years of The Troubles in NI you should be bloody grateful for the peace and stability that we all crave here.
The Mrs and I had a week in NI the year we emmigrated. I'd visited Belfast before for a wedding (Reception in the Europa hotel which was a blast) I have to say it was the most intimidating place we've ever been. Not so much Belfast where we did the black cab tour of the trouble spots, but rural, unionist Northern Ireland people were surprisingly (to me at least) unwelcoming.
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Oh I dunno. We stayed with a former pig farmer who ran a B&B cum post office. His life seemed reasonably idyllic. Mind you the only 4 hours of daylight in the depths of winter would be a bore as would the not-being-able-to-do-anything-at-all-on-the-sabbath thing as well. We had a vision of Mrs AX teaching, me crofting a few potatoes, fishing a few lobster pots and selling pottery to tourists. It take long for reality to bite, but was pleasant enough while it lasted.
Apologies to people from Scotland. Now I think about it the chap on the weekend was from Orkney, to me that's just "outside the M25" but it might be importantly different from the Outer Hebridies.

I wonder if the moving-to-the-country thing might be better enjoyed as a fantasy, especially since seeing the new entry on our blog this morning. Still, I'm not yet reduced to crofting potatoes.
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alison Annett
Yes, lots of people come to Canada because of conflict at home, Palestinians, Rwandans, Kurds, Poles (to cite ones I've met this morning). I'm not unaware of the merits of calmness and stability.
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:03 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies to people from Scotland. Now I think about it the chap on the weekend was from Orkney, to me that's just "outside the M25" but it might be importantly different from the Outer Hebridies.

I wonder if the moving-to-the-country thing might be better enjoyed as a fantasy, especially since seeing the new entry on our blog this morning. Still, I'm not yet reduced to crofting potatoes.
No apologies necessary.

Orcadians are a breed apart. They're more Scandinavian than Scottish and have always held a wish to be reunited with Norway.

Maybe Wannabe can help?
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Madmac
Maybe Wannabe can help?
He had a family with him but you just don't know what these Nordic people might get up to.
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:07 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats a pity - we dont usually get that reputation. You should have came to Kilkeel - we are lovely contrary to what Ben W Bell might say.
Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
The Mrs and I had a week in NI the year we emmigrated. I'd visited Belfast before for a wedding (Reception in the Europa hotel which was a blast) I have to say it was the most intimidating place we've ever been. Not so much Belfast where we did the black cab tour of the trouble spots, but rural, unionist Northern Ireland people were surprisingly (to me at least) unwelcoming.
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:15 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I emigrated because I had a choice of working for Unilever in Port Sunlight or going to a postdoc research job at the University of California. No brainer really.

I vowed never to return upon the election of M. Thatcher.
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really nice

Originally Posted by printer
Probably more useful in Slough too.
I was initially refering to Slough.
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Canuck Fan
I was initially refering to Slough.
Yes. I sought to illustrate the absurdity of your lauding Canada, a land of immigrants, many of whom are from Poland, while condemning Slough, also a land of immigrants, for having Polish residents. Deliberately mistaking intent is one of them rhetorical devices, innit.
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really nice

Originally Posted by Souvenir
You live in Vancouver. Most Canadians don't.
C'mon thats a fib....Ooooh theres some nice guys there tho
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Because England's shit.
excellent
and to the point
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

I think I must be living in a different country to the rest of you. The scenery here is fabulous - I take in mountain views, beaches and ocean on my cycle to work and run in awesome upland forests during my lunch break. It's far from boring - there's no end of outdoors things to do and plenty of great places to eat and drink.

In London the scenery was some overgrown grass, iron railings and a couple of ugly 1970s semis. My commute was being rammed sardine-like into a frequently stifling tube carriage.

Housing doesn't seem to be much more affordable, mind.
exactly what i was thinking. I have a view of mount baker from my window and look down on the valley. In England i saw brick houses and a busy road! Guess which i prefer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.