Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What is the main reason you applied for/obtained/want Canadian citizenship?

View Poll Results: What is the main reason you applied for/obtained/want Canadian citizenship?
Access to Canadian consular services when abroad.
0%
Ability to work in certain restricted civil service/military occupations.
2.17%
Able to work in Mexico/US under the provisions of NAFTA.
4.35%
Eligible for certain awards/recognition (e.g. Order of Canada).
0%
Feeling of belonging.
16.30%
Right of abode in Canada/not to be deported.
38.04%
Right to serve on a jury.
0%
Right to vote.
14.13%
Simpler to obtain Canadian passport than renew foreign one.
5.43%
No I-94/US-VISIT when visiting the US.
14.13%
I want to be a politician.
5.43%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

What is the main reason you applied for/obtained/want Canadian citizenship?

Old Jun 9th 2011, 6:10 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the main reason you applied for/obtained/want Canadian citizenship?

That's not the relevant point, it's valid for travel from anywhere IN to Canada, so if you have a foreign passport you don't need a Canadian one, just a NEXUS card. Also valid to enter the US at any POE equipped with NEXUS or Global Entry, which is all the major ones.

Honestly other than going to the US I can't see why I would want to use a Canadian passport, their consular services outside the US and Mexico are pretty thin.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Formerly of nr Kinross, Scotland, now Burlington, ON!
furries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to all
Default Re: What is the main reason you applied for/obtained/want Canadian citizenship?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That's debatable. I would agree that service is generally more polite but too often scripted.

Especially when someone gives priority to the script about milk or cream without listening to my request for black coffee.
You get that here (UK) all the time now ... I have just got used to the blank stares when I ask for a black coffee and so now ask for a black americano ... 'with milk or cream sir?' No. Black please. Globalisation I am afraid!
Old Jun 9th 2011, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Steve_
That's not the relevant point, it's valid for travel from anywhere IN to Canada, so if you have a foreign passport you don't need a Canadian one, just a NEXUS card. Also valid to enter the US at any POE equipped with NEXUS or Global Entry, which is all the major ones.

Honestly other than going to the US I can't see why I would want to use a Canadian passport, their consular services outside the US and Mexico are pretty thin.
You still need a passport as backup. Canadian or UK.

"Although NEXUS card holders will not be asked to show their passports at border crossings, technically they are supposed to have passports with them."
Old Jun 9th 2011, 9:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furries
You get that here (UK) all the time now ...
Well that's the last incentive to go back gone.

Is it as bad as Cora's where you're asked if you want your egg poached, scrambled or fried. And if fried sunny side up or over easy? And what bread do you want toasted, white, brown, whole wheat etc

Eight variations for eggs on toast.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 9:51 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Is it as bad as Cora's where you're asked if you want your egg poached, scrambled or fried. And if fried sunny side up or over easy? And what bread do you want toasted, white, brown, whole wheat etc

You could save all that aggro by just showing her the picture on the front of your coupon.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 9:58 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

i agree it gets tiresome explaining you dont want sauce, maple syrup, jam or f'in cheese or any other damn shit with my breakfast lunch or tea..yes im bloody sure i dont for the eight time!!!..and dont look at me like i must be crazy either.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 10:38 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
You could save all that aggro by just showing her the picture on the front of your coupon.
That joke would have more validity if there ever were any coupons involved rather than just sensible shopping according to shelf pricing.

Even so it really is wearing a bit thin now.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 11:10 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

That joke would have more validity if there ever were any coupons involved rather than just sensible shopping according to shelf pricing.

Even so it really is wearing a bit thin now.
OK, sorry. Nothing worse than someone labouring a subject long after the point has been made.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 11:53 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_

Canadians can get consular services from the Brits. It says so in the passport. I think the Aussies will also help out but I'm not sure.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Keith
You still need a passport as backup. Canadian or UK.

"Although NEXUS card holders will not be asked to show their passports at border crossings, technically they are supposed to have passports with them."

my boys have been across the border with out us a few times with just their NEXUS cards, they get pulled and questioned every time, they have given up using them and just use their CDN passports now, and they go through much easier!!!!
Old Jun 10th 2011, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

DanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond repute

There should be an "other" option.

My main reason was the housing is cheaper. Other big reason was the pizza and coffee is very cheap.
....and y'know I married a Canadian and starting a new life and all that.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 2:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DanielM
There should be an "other" option.

My main reason was the housing is cheaper. Other big reason was the pizza and coffee is very cheap.
....and y'know I married a Canadian and starting a new life and all that.
Housing is cheaper for canadian citizens vs PRs?
Old Jun 10th 2011, 3:01 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
and I had no idea citizens got a discount on coffee and pizza.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 3:03 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by iaink
Originally Posted by Steve_P
and I had no idea citizens got a discount on coffee and pizza.

An advantage at last.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 3:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I must say Im rather distressed that 4 people here actually admit they WANT to be politicians.

Surely some personal quirks are best left unexpressed, even in the safe warm anonymity of the interweb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.