Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What is the main reason you applied for/obtained/want Canadian citizenship?

View Poll Results: What is the main reason you applied for/obtained/want Canadian citizenship?
Access to Canadian consular services when abroad.
0%
Ability to work in certain restricted civil service/military occupations.
2.17%
Able to work in Mexico/US under the provisions of NAFTA.
4.35%
Eligible for certain awards/recognition (e.g. Order of Canada).
0%
Feeling of belonging.
16.30%
Right of abode in Canada/not to be deported.
38.04%
Right to serve on a jury.
0%
Right to vote.
14.13%
Simpler to obtain Canadian passport than renew foreign one.
5.43%
No I-94/US-VISIT when visiting the US.
14.13%
I want to be a politician.
5.43%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

What is the main reason you applied for/obtained/want Canadian citizenship?

Old Jun 7th 2011, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the main reason you applied for/obtained/want Canadian citizenship?

Same as Alan

Want the option to be able to leave and then come back if I choose.

Its always good to maximise options

Plus - would quite like to vote at some point. Although not full of point where we live.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What is the main reason you applied for/obtained/want Canadian citizenship?

Becoming a citizen is a no brainer.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 7:05 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Right to vote & right of abode/return were important, but the actual reason we did it when we did was to have 2 passports at all times (i.e. not to have to bother to renew one before it expired and thus be unable to travel for even a couple of weeks). Having aged parents etc overseas will make that more important to you.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 8:01 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

As someone else said, this is my home and I'm proud to be Canadian.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 9:36 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
Because Canada is now my 'home'....why would anyone want to live here and not become a Canadian citizen?
Perhaps I am just old fashioned....
interesting q?...i would get citizenship to not have to renew PR not because i wanted to become a Canadian citizen..there are the advantages of dual citizenship that does make it a no brainer if you are staying. But i would be primarily be a British Citizen and a Canadian Citizen with a very small 'c'.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 10:02 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
As someone else said, this is my home and I'm proud to be Canadian.
My sentiments too and proud of it.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 11:45 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

What are the provisions of NAFTA and working in the US all about?

I think going south is like a 5 year goal for me.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Because we have no intention of ever returning to the UK
Old Jun 8th 2011, 12:34 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

We applied for our Citizenship back in January 2011. Aside from loving Canada and wanting dual nationality, I was concerned that my sons may get the same wonderlust as their parents and take off for a few years travel and may lose their residency
Old Jun 8th 2011, 1:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Found this on a previous thread on the same subject.
...it is worth pointing out that Canadian citizens can be (and often are) subject to exactly the same questioning to ensure that they are bona-fide visitors to the U.S.

The administrative formalities are simpler for Canadian citizens, but the requirements themselves are the same.
Unlikely to be going to the USA

A retired British citizen could usually get a B2 tourist visa to allow 6 months.
But if I did, this could cover it. Or I'd have to be satisfied with less time, but that needn't be a bother.

The rights of Canadian citizens include:

* Able to vote and to run for political office upon reaching the age of 18.
No thanks. Not much of a choice.
* Able to obtain a Canadian passport and enjoy Canadian consular protection.
British passport does the same doesn't it?
* Able to prevent risk of getting deported from Canada
I've cancelled the plans to commit treason.
* Able to work for the Federal government (where citizenship is usually required/preferred)
No thanks. Retired. Wouldn't get the job anyway.
* Allowed to live outside Canada indefinitely while retaining the right to return
Highly unlikely that I'd ever do that. Any substantial time away would involve living back in the UK where I'd stay. Unless I won the lottery (for which I don't buy a ticket ) and that would mean I could afford to live in Nice instead or somewhere similar.
* Able to pass on Canadian citizenship to children born outside Canada.
Not applicable. Wife and stepkids are Canadian.
So, none of the above really. Perhaps not a no brainer for everyone. Unless I've missed something.

I'll keep my UK passport - the process of which for renewing is easier than applying for citizenship and Canadian passport.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 2:11 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I think being able to be legally allowed to reside in Canada and to be able to come and go freely was a big thing, but also it marks an important milestone as it were in our whole journey to Canada adventure.

Now we have arrived, and I too am proud to call myself Canadian, and proud of a successful and momentous move and change in our lives.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 2:31 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
Now we have arrived, and I too am proud to call myself Canadian, and proud of a successful and momentous move and change in our lives.
yeah but are you Canadian??
Old Jun 8th 2011, 2:59 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I like this option:

Eligible for certain awards/recognition (e.g. Order of Canada).

I would only become a citizen of Canada if they give me a big shiny medal and name a province after me.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Mizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond repute

We have South African passports, so if we want to travel the world, we need a visa for almost every country to enter, and hubby need to travel frequently for his company, don't have time to get visas every time he travels. That why we applied for citizenship.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 3:03 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
So, none of the above really. Perhaps not a no brainer for everyone. Unless I've missed something.

I'll keep my UK passport - the process of which for renewing is easier than applying for citizenship and Canadian passport.
I see getting a Canadian passport as a no-brainer if you are entitled to apply for it. I also see keeping a UK passport as a no-brainer as well.

I fully intend to have both and keep both active. You never know when you might need one or the other.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.