What made you decide to make the move to Canada

What made you decide to make the move to Canada

Old Feb 3rd 2021, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

seseman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What made you decide to make the move to Canada

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
You are quick off the draw this morning...I added to my post

I never cared for EE...too much shouting/arguing/strife for my liking.
haha good old EE
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post

My former partner and I actually both used to watch EastEnders in Canada but we'd watch the latest ones on iPlayer. I think it was just like a little taste of home at the time even though she was actually from Tokyo. I don't watch it anymore though. It's really depressing in the way that only a British soap ever could be. They can't have a Christmas without someone getting divorced, stabbed or leaving the square forever.

But anyway yeah seseman, if you enjoy UK soaps then Canada's got you covered there at least.
They are cursed. They arent allowed to be happy on any of those shows. Something dramatic has to happen.
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 11:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Seseman...apologies if we have wittered on a bit, but hopefully our comments will be of use.
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Unfortunately Corrie seems to have gone the same way.

Seseman...I do find watching UK TV a great help with homesickness. That and a couple of bars of Cadbury’s.
Hopefully iplayer, 4od and itv will be accessible. That should give me all the dose of UK soaps that I need. I even love pobol y cwm even though I have never been to wales nor speak the language. I will watch almost anything for background noise as I cant work in a quiet room.
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

I'd definitely second this. It really does help and the fact British food can be found pretty much everywhere in Toronto makes it easier. It isn't prohibitively expensive either. The weekend concierge in my old apartment building turned out to be from Essex and told me about a local English chippy one day when I was paying the rent. That combined with some Tetley tea and rich tea biscuits from the local supermarket and a night in with some UK TV can really help if you're feeling homesick or lonely at the weekend.

I watched Coronation Street when I was with my family over Christmas because although my Mum has given up on most soaps these days, she still watches Corrie and Emmerdale. I didn't really understand what was going on though tbh.
thats the beauty of those soaps. I could miss a year's worth and nothing much would have changed lol.
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

It’s very different now than it was when we moved to the US in 1996. Phone calls cost a fortune, one call to my sister cost over $300. No Zoom or Face Time. British goodies were few and far between, there was no Amazon then. My MIL used to tape Corrie on a VHS tape and send it snail mail...Friday nights were Corrie and Cadbury night.
yikes! $300 for one call. sounds like you made a direct call from a landline or mobile.
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

I think the influx of Indian and South East Asian immigrants may have helped to be honest. I once spent a month living in a shared house in North York whilst we looked for a more long term place and there was a small Indian supermarket nearby but pretty much everything in there was British. They had the same brands of curry paste, poppadum's etc that you find in Tesco but also British tea, biscuits, chocolate, instant coffee, cereal etc. I ended up talking to the guy in there and he said a lot of Indians eat British products at home but also it's easier to get food from the UK through Canadian customs than it is to import things stuff from India.

It will obviously help if you can become as accustomed to the Canadian stuff as possible though as it will save you a fortune in the long run. It was cheaper for us to have a breakfast of pancakes with maple syrup and ground coffee at the weekends than it would have been to have a cup of instant coffee and a bowl of cereal.
I am pretty flexible with food and the children are young so hopefully we can adapt easily including food wise.
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

no problem at all. This thread has been very helpful and I am happy about the engagement from various people .
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 12:10 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Seseman...apologies if we have wittered on a bit, but hopefully our comments will be of use.

Tbh it's what this forum is about though. People offer really useful and often indispensable advice but it's also a great place to get a little taste of home no matter where you are.

EE to me feels kind of like a relic of a bygone era. Born out of the Thatcher years when life in the UK could be very grim for a lot of people, especially those in traditionally working class areas. I remember growing up in the 90's, most BBC dramas and films were extremely gritty in a way that only British TV could be. It's not so much the case anymore though and the UK entertainment industry has gone a lot more glitzy, big budget and Hollywood than it used to be but EE seems to be clinging on for dear life.

But I think the key take home here is that you're never that far away from the UK when you're in Eastern Canada. Most of the major cities have sizable UK expat populations and the flight isn't that much longer than going somewhere like the Canary Islands. The expats in Australia and NZ obviously don't have that luxury.
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 12:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seseman View Post
no problem at all. This thread has been very helpful and I am happy about the engagement from various people .

Plus you can always come here and have a good old laugh or moan with fellow Brits. It’s our little haven of the UK.
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 4:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The beauty of the internet is, I can watch US and UK programs, with a few Canadian and Australian thrown in. I know, I know they are usually crap, but there has been a few good series.
Any you would recommend?
CBC has done a few very good ones. Da Vinci's Inquest, followed by Da Vinci's City Hall. Intelligence. The Border. The Romeo Section. (all of them what I would call BBC standard)
Even CTV got in on the act with Cardinal which is very 'Scandi' like and I believe it even made it to BBC!
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 4:19 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
CBC has done a few very good ones. Da Vinci's Inquest, followed by Da Vinci's City Hall. Intelligence. The Border. The Romeo Section. (all of them what I would call BBC standard)
Even CTV got in on the act with Cardinal which is very 'Scandi' like and I believe it even made it to BBC!
Awesome, thanks.

If anyone is interested in watching an old one but great one about a really interesting event in Canadian history then I'd highly recommend this. It's one of the few documentaries I've watched more than once and absolutely fascinating.

Arctic Manhunt: The Mad Trapper of Rat River (2009)
Old Feb 4th 2021, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Plus you can always come here and have a good old laugh or moan with fellow Brits. It’s our little haven of the UK.
Oh yes indeed
Old Feb 5th 2021, 8:06 am
Just Joined

Kairos2025 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all doing well and staying safe.

This is a bit of a mind dump and I am not sure which category my post falls into but I hope it doesn't get taken the wrong way. It isn't aimed to upset anyone.

So, my husband and I have been exploring moving to Canada. We have 2 young children. I like the idea of starting somewhere new and the whole sense of adventure that I feel when I think of moving to Canada but I am now at the stage where I am visualising and actually planning for a potential move and things are not looking good on the financial side of things. I didn't crunch the numbers earlier on in the application process because I honestly didn't think we would take it this far. I was concerned about passing IELTs and we took the approach of lets see how far we get. We have gone very far in the application process and already spent half of the money it would cost to obtain a PR. Total PR cost came to about £3000 or so and we have spent £1500 so far. We are thinking maybe we should stop the process now if I am sure I dont want to move so we at least save the remaining £1500. On the other hand, we are also thinking it would be good to have it in hand now that we have the opportunity to get it in case we change our minds and want to move.

Recently, I have crunched some numbers, read the documents I was directed to on here and spoken to an accountant in Canada and it is looking like I would be financially worse off in Canada. I am a LTD co director in the UK and the combination of salary and dividends is very tax efficient. From my research, I would have to declare any income I make from working remotely in Canada for my UK LTD as worldwide employment income which would be heavily taxed. I would be worse off by about £10000 each year. I asked about possibly operating as self employed in Canada where I would be a subcontractor to my UK LTD therefore able to claim expenses in Canada. This would lessen the financial blow a bit. I still don't have clear information if this would be doable and acceptable to CRA.

I have also discovered that we would need to declare all bank balances and property ownership if they total to more than 100,000 CAD. I am not sure what this information would be used for. I don't think I would pay extra tax on it unless we have rental income on the property?

Anyway, I was wondering how people who have moved to Canada are making it work financially because to me at the moment, it seems not financially profitable. Grocery expenses look to be higher in Canada and my estimation of our household expenses came out as being potentially higher in Canada than UK.

What I am seeing here is less money coming in and more going out. I however know that my kids could potentially have a better education in Canada and maybe we could enjoy more outdoorsy lifestyle. We are also not liking the atmosphere in the UK caused by Brexit and other things. Those are the only pluses that I am seeing in favour of Canada. My husband thinks it could be worth but I am not so sure. I don't want to shut the whole thing down and would like to see if there are ways I could improve the financial outlook.

Any thoughts or advise on how to lessen the tax burden? The accountant couldn't come up with anything significant. I think if I could have the same or slightly less take home pay (not as much as £10000) in Canada, I would be willing to give the move a go. I want us to be comfortable and I think not having to worry too much about finances would make our move less stressful.

Thank you. I look forward to hearing all your ideas and experiences for those who made the big move.
Financially, the long term and big consideration is Canada will tax global income, including ISAs, State and Private Pension. In UK, we wd save ISAs from taxation for the rest of your retirement period while there are other countries which will not tax your global income (only income earned in the country). Of course, finances are only one factor to be taken into consideration when planning a move to Canada.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Lilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to all

It is interesting that you miss Europe even after 10 years.
My British husband misses Europe after 22 years and is miserable in Canada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.