Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What made you decide to make the move to Canada

What made you decide to make the move to Canada

Old Jan 30th 2021, 6:31 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you decide to make the move to Canada

Originally Posted by Partially discharged

Internet is $48 + HST per month unlimited at 150 mb/s speed.
That's better than most prices available in the UK.
Old Jan 30th 2021, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Perhaps could mention where you live in the GTA area in Ontario?
Septic / Propane / Water would normally only be applicable for someone living outside of a City... in the wilds of the country.. you mention 'town' so I'm curious!
No property tax for rentals.. by the way, OP!
Not all towns have full services - the town of Erin, for example, doesn't have a municipal sewer. They are planning on putting one in, a plan that is about as divisive in the town as Brexit has been in the UK. Other thing to note for the OP is that you do need to take account of where people are located when they tell you their home internet and general utility costs. Rural areas are generally a lot more expensive for a much poorer service. We pay $90 per month for home internet in a rural area and it doesn't work for at least part of every day, we like to consider it character building.
Old Jan 30th 2021, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
That's better than most prices available in the UK.
With internet, cable, and cell phone prices in Canada if you take more than 1 service with a company haggle and bargain with them.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/roge...-plans-933329/

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/roge...thread-785331/
Old Jan 30th 2021, 5:57 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I moved here for lifestyle improvements. I know you can be active in the UK but in the UK you can't go snowboarding every weekend during the winter, getting to golf courses from central London was a pain and the pubs don't offer table service making drinking beer a traumatic experience on a busy night. It just seems less of a hassle to go and do things when I want to do them.

Why I'd leave Canada? It's very expensive (everything but fuel) and unless you work for the government you will likely have a better salary back in the UK. There are two Canada's- the army of workers who are employed by the three tiers of government who enjoy great salaries, benefits, pensions and fantastic vacation time and then there is the rest of us subject to "at will" employment with no vacation time, rubbish benefits and pensions that are fast disappearing. Canada's economy is unsustainable and despite leaning more liberal myself the liberalness of Canada (in regards to wasting public money) really will drive a person crazy.
Old Jan 30th 2021, 6:19 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

You're paying way too much for those services. We pay $60 for the primary cell and $40 (+ HST) for the secondary with unlimited calls in Canada, unlimited texts, voice mail, caller ID and 5 gb of data per line

Internet is $48 + HST per month unlimited at 150 mb/s speed.

You need to shop around on those services, play one company off against another and threaten to leave to get the best prices.
We have Beanfield in Downtown Toronto.

It's $50 per month for a 1 Gig.https://www.beanfield.com/residential/internet

It's only available downtown though.

Broadband in Canada is competitive. The cell phones not so much- especially if you require new hardware although hardware is more expensive everywhere too.

TV prices are hard to gage these days. It depends what you are streaming- most people have cut the cord and don't have cable.

Last edited by JamesM; Jan 30th 2021 at 6:25 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2021, 7:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We pay around $650 per month...includes Internet, TV for 2 properties and 2 phones with unlimited data.

We moved to Toronto because our daughter was here. It was a trial run. Unfortunately life’s events got in the way and we are still here 7 years later. No chance of going home in the foreseeable future, although hubby would be on a plane tonight if we could.
Old Jan 30th 2021, 8:15 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We pay around $650 per month...includes Internet, TV for 2 properties and 2 phones with unlimited data.

We moved to Toronto because our daughter was here. It was a trial run. Unfortunately life’s events got in the way and we are still here 7 years later. No chance of going home in the foreseeable future, although hubby would be on a plane tonight if we could.
That's very expensive.

TV shouldn't really cost extra for two properties- you just need an internet connection and you should be able to sign into your account and watch your TV content where ever you are in Canada.

Old Jan 30th 2021, 11:43 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch - that's expensive!

Currently my household has Ignite unlimited internet + TV, 2 phones - 10GB data on one and 6GB data on the other - with unlimited everything else nationwide / US - including 2c a minute calls to the UK. Totals around $280 - $310 a month (in the midst of changing tv package).

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 30th 2021 at 11:47 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 11:35 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

With internet, cable, and cell phone prices in Canada if you take more than 1 service with a company haggle and bargain with them.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/roge...-plans-933329/

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/roge...thread-785331/
I used to use that forum a lot. They'd post ways to maximise the Best Buy customer credit program so it meant if I bought two new games on a certain day then I'd get a third one either for $10 or completely free.

I avoided using Rogers the last time I was in Canada though because they used to limit usage on their internet to crazy levels and I didn't really need cable TV. I'm guessing/hoping that data caps aren't as much of an issue anymore though.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

seseman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DMajor
I have no idea about current childcare costs, been there done that many moons ago. I've heard from younger mums that it's not cheap.
Average rent in our small town in Ontario is about $2,000 for a 3 bed house but very few available and they get snapped up very quickly. Same with apartments, very unusual to see them listed for more than a week.
We pay about $250 a month for our two mobile phones, both have unlimited texts, calls, data.
Broadband is around $100 a month.
Car insurance is around $1,200 a year per vehicle with a few adjustments here and there for age, location etc. I'd imagine your costs would be a lot higher as you don't yet have any years of NO claims.
Gas is about $1.08 a litre at the moment, has been as low as 80 cents a while back.
Home insurance, we pay about $1,000 a year, that's for buildings and contents.
Property tax is about $3,000 a year for our property, this goes up or down depending where you are. For this, they collect the garbage and plastics once a week.
Hydro is about $100 a month, only two of us in our property.
Propane (gas) for the furnace is around $70 a month, we have forced air heating.
For water we pay $100 every 4 weeks to fill our tank, it has to be delivered to us as we are off the 'city' limits.
The septic is emptied once a year, that's about $300.
Not sure how others manage to feed themselves for so little but we regularly spend $180-$200 a week on shopping.
No taxis in our town so if we go out, one of us has to drive and so NO drinking for them.
As you can see, it's not cheap, it all adds up to about $4,500 a month. I suppose you could tweak things a bit here and there but that's a rough estimate for us two.
As we used to say in my area of London, UK...About $53,000 a year before you've had a 'cup of tea'
wow! those monthly costs for everything are looking high and much more than I expected and there are 4 of us. How come home insurance is that high? also the mobile data and broadband costs are a lot. Which area of Ontario are you in if you dont mind saying?
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Perhaps could mention where you live in the GTA area in Ontario?
Septic / Propane / Water would normally only be applicable for someone living outside of a City... in the wilds of the country.. you mention 'town' so I'm curious!
No property tax for rentals.. by the way, OP!
I didnt see this before replying to the poster. I also would like to know where they are. Those costs are very higher than what I have come across in my research.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Not all towns have full services - the town of Erin, for example, doesn't have a municipal sewer. They are planning on putting one in, a plan that is about as divisive in the town as Brexit has been in the UK. Other thing to note for the OP is that you do need to take account of where people are located when they tell you their home internet and general utility costs. Rural areas are generally a lot more expensive for a much poorer service. We pay $90 per month for home internet in a rural area and it doesn't work for at least part of every day, we like to consider it character building.
seeing as I would be working from home, I would need the internet to be super reliable. Thank you for the tip about considering the area when looking at the costs given. I am city person and cannot imagine living anywhere rural.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JamesM
I moved here for lifestyle improvements. I know you can be active in the UK but in the UK you can't go snowboarding every weekend during the winter, getting to golf courses from central London was a pain and the pubs don't offer table service making drinking beer a traumatic experience on a busy night. It just seems less of a hassle to go and do things when I want to do them.

Why I'd leave Canada? It's very expensive (everything but fuel) and unless you work for the government you will likely have a better salary back in the UK. There are two Canada's- the army of workers who are employed by the three tiers of government who enjoy great salaries, benefits, pensions and fantastic vacation time and then there is the rest of us subject to "at will" employment with no vacation time, rubbish benefits and pensions that are fast disappearing. Canada's economy is unsustainable and despite leaning more liberal myself the liberalness of Canada (in regards to wasting public money) really will drive a person crazy.
Your second paragraph sounds rather depressing and matches how I feel based on my research but then I ask myself why are people still moving over there? I guess they might cancel out? low pay but better lifestyle? No point having lots of money but not being able to spend it the way you want.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for sharing.

you mean $650 for just TV and phone or that is your household bill per month not including rent?

It isnt always so easy to "move back". This is why I want to be sure before leaving the UK. One day I am ready to move, the next I am not. We have time to decide though so hopefully time will make things clearer for us.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 4:40 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by seseman
wow! those monthly costs for everything are looking high and much more than I expected and there are 4 of us. How come home insurance is that high? also the mobile data and broadband costs are a lot. Which area of Ontario are you in if you dont mind saying?
Protectionism is a real thing in Canada. Unlike in Europe and the US where foreign-owned mobile and telecomms networks are an accepted part of day to day life, Canada likes to keep it local. The official line on this is to keep the pesky Americans, and to a much lesser extent the Europeans, at bay. They even have an officially mandated limit on how much airtime can be given to American TV shows (IIRC it's no more than 70%) so that Canadian culture can be protected. Of course, Canadian TV is crap so most people just end up watching American stuff anyway, especially these days.

Many mobile networks in America can also be found in Europe e.g. T-Mobile, Virgin etc. but in Canada that is rarely the case although it is slowly improving. It's not just telecomms either. Milk and some dairy products in Canada are generally more expensive than in the US or the UK because they have less capacity to produce it and flat out refuse to import it over the US border. Cheese is horrendously expensive by all accounts but I hate it so that doesn't really affect me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.