Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What made you decide to make the move to Canada

What made you decide to make the move to Canada

Old Feb 7th 2021, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Lilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to all
Default Re: What made you decide to make the move to Canada

Originally Posted by seseman View Post
I am not outdoorsy at all...
This could be problematic. Maybe not, more likely to be problematic. 48 years in Canada.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 10:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lilipuddlian View Post
My British husband misses Europe after 22 years and is miserable in Canada.
Ditto for my husband but 25 years.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Lilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Ditto for my husband but 25 years.
Very interesting response!
Old Feb 8th 2021, 11:17 am
Just Joined

rajkdabd is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: What made you decide to make the move to Canada

Originally Posted by seseman View Post
We live in Manchester so the prices arent too bad. I think this is why I am shocked at how much more things are so expensive over there. We have no family ties to Toronto though and could explore other places. The main reason we were focusing on there is because it is one of the best areas for our job field.

Cheshire is actually not that cheap so that further highlights just how much more expensive houses are in Toronto. I guess it is a bit like central London.

Hi,
I live in Manchester too!
I was reading your posts and replies with interest.
I really feel that you need to do a deep soul searching before moving to Canada.
few Points:
1. I dont feel schooling in the UK is anyways inferior. UK has one of the best schooling systems and Uni education in the world. You may have to look for the best schools in your areas and focus on grammar schools or priviate schools if you donot have outstanding state schools in your locality.
2. UK has so much to offer in terms of arts, music, history, culture, and of course sports & entertainment. (of course, being a native, one does not value these things so much as outsiders would do). I dont think it will be vastly different in Canada in terms of availability of sports facilities etc. Yes, of course it is a vast country and there are massive outdoor activities but that should not be prime reasons to move.
3. In my view, your main consideration should be -whether you and your husband will be substantially better off financially. This only you both can find out and decide. If this is not the case, then I dont see much point in moving from the UK. You can enjoy pretty much everything that Canda can offer here in the UK. Plus you have benefit of being with your friends, family and known people.
4. Though weather in the UK is harsh and unpredictable at times (especially in Manchester where it rains so much), IMO, the weather is harsher with longer winters and too much snow in Canada. You can always decide to move down south in UK if you wish to have milder weather.
5. And most importantly, you have whole of Europe at your doorsteps for holidays!
Old Feb 8th 2021, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

seseman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rajkdabd View Post
Hi,
I live in Manchester too!
I was reading your posts and replies with interest.
I really feel that you need to do a deep soul searching before moving to Canada.
few Points:
1. I dont feel schooling in the UK is anyways inferior. UK has one of the best schooling systems and Uni education in the world. You may have to look for the best schools in your areas and focus on grammar schools or priviate schools if you donot have outstanding state schools in your locality.
2. UK has so much to offer in terms of arts, music, history, culture, and of course sports & entertainment. (of course, being a native, one does not value these things so much as outsiders would do). I dont think it will be vastly different in Canada in terms of availability of sports facilities etc. Yes, of course it is a vast country and there are massive outdoor activities but that should not be prime reasons to move.
3. In my view, your main consideration should be -whether you and your husband will be substantially better off financially. This only you both can find out and decide. If this is not the case, then I dont see much point in moving from the UK. You can enjoy pretty much everything that Canda can offer here in the UK. Plus you have benefit of being with your friends, family and known people.
4. Though weather in the UK is harsh and unpredictable at times (especially in Manchester where it rains so much), IMO, the weather is harsher with longer winters and too much snow in Canada. You can always decide to move down south in UK if you wish to have milder weather.
5. And most importantly, you have whole of Europe at your doorsteps for holidays!
Thank you rajkdabd. I agree with all your points. Looking at all the different aspects of our lives, I think if we moved, it would be just to experience another country with the chance that we could love it or not. I dont think Canada is so much better than UK for our family but I think it would be good to have other options to explore in terms of different places we could have the right of residency.
Old Feb 8th 2021, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

This could be problematic. Maybe not, more likely to be problematic. 48 years in Canada.
Hello, how? I am thinking worst case is that I dont become more outdoorsy than I am here in the UK. Although, everything is so walkable at the moment and we have good public transport so it is easy for me to get my steps in and so on but I think I would need to drive more in Canada which could be bad for staying mobile.
Old Feb 8th 2021, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

My British husband misses Europe after 22 years and is miserable in Canada.
Wow. I guess it all depends on the intensity of that feeling and the ability to do something about it. So how is your husband managing his feelings about missing home?
Old Feb 8th 2021, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with some of your points, but not necessarily these ones
Yes, of course it is a vast country and there are massive outdoor activities but that should not be prime reasons to move.
Interesting, that was one the main reasons we moved here (Calgary area).
3. In my view, your main consideration should be -whether you and your husband will be substantially better off financially.
We're not financially better off in any way, other than perhaps we have a larger house than we might in the UK, but we're very happy here and don't regret the move at all.
You can enjoy pretty much everything that Canda can offer here in the UK.
Pretty much, apart from world class winter sports under 2 hours drive away from where we chose to move to. This might not float the OPs boat, but it certainly is a consideration for some people.

Your points are your opinion, but there are people who see the situation, and their priorities, differently. Each to their own :-)
Old Feb 8th 2021, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

rajkdabd is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you considered Australia?
Old Feb 9th 2021, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Have you considered Australia?
I have always like the idea of living in Australia but I have never been. I dont like hot weather so I think I would struggle. Also, we have invested quite a bit in the Canada PR so we wouldnt be able to go ahead and try out for the australia one.