Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What is life like in Hope BC?

What is life like in Hope BC?

Old Feb 26th 2006, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Default What is life like in Hope BC?

I wondered, deoes anyone know what kind of a town Hope is. Is there any work there for able people 30+? And what is the town like for schools leisure,fishing, mountains. Is the terrain flat like the map shows or more rolling as in and round Vancouver?
Old Feb 26th 2006, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

JezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really nice
Default Re: What is life like in Hope BC?

Originally Posted by Gezza
I wondered, deoes anyone know what kind of a town Hope is. Is there any work there for able people 30+? And what is the town like for schools leisure,fishing, mountains. Is the terrain flat like the map shows or more rolling as in and round Vancouver?
Have you looked at the town website? http://www.hopebc.ca/
Old Feb 26th 2006, 11:48 am
Just Joined

miriamg is an unknown quantity at this point

Its a beautiful town surrounded by mountains. It was the location for the first Rambo film so mebe you want to watch that.

A little town centre with less than 10 commercial streets and a lovely park and library.
There are a lot of German people there and a large mumber of native Canadian "Indians". There is a lot of industry and tourism, but I would not call it prosperous. There seem to be quite a few unemployed people hanging out in the town centre. It may be worth thinking about having a business there rather than lookinbg for work.
It is a rainforest climate, like Vancouver with fairly high rainfalland snow fall.
Property prices are very reasonable and the lifestyle seems relaxed. I cant comment on the schools.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 4:19 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a local phrase I keep hearing:

"There's no hope in Hope".....

I don't know how much of this is tongue in cheeck, and whilst not wishing to discourage anyones exploration of off the map or non-mainstream places, Hope is very much a highway stop off place, peeps on the way from Vancouver to other inland destinations, heading east or north east from that point. It has access to swathes of wild country though as there's not many other clusters of humanity immediately close by.

I would give serious consideration to checking the off-season potential of the place. May be quite grim ? Business opp's may be limited to retail/food/catering/accomodation/services sectors and reliant on travel and tourism throughput. Catering to hundreds of stranded motorists due to Coquihalla closures (due to avalanche blasting/deep snow and ice clearing) could only make for so much business.

Rich.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Marathon Wreck is just really niceMarathon Wreck is just really niceMarathon Wreck is just really niceMarathon Wreck is just really niceMarathon Wreck is just really niceMarathon Wreck is just really niceMarathon Wreck is just really niceMarathon Wreck is just really niceMarathon Wreck is just really nice

All roads lead to Hope !
Or so a local saying goes. Been there twice and stayed overnight.Liked the place.It's got a nice atmosphere and is very relaxed.Nice park and stupendous chainsaw carvings.Work , as in industrial, may be in short supply but service jobs should be ok.Didn't see anybody 'hanging out'. It's in a fantastic setting. Guess everybody heading to the interior will see it at some time !
Check out 'Bears crossing' :scared:
Bo
Old Feb 26th 2006, 9:18 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

We call it "Hopeless" for very good reason. Its a hole with a nasty drug problem. Schools poor, work zero, scenery wonderful.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 9:34 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
We call it "Hopeless" for very good reason. Its a hole with a nasty drug problem. Schools poor, work zero, scenery wonderful.
The whole of the Fraser Valley is a drug funnel based on goods blowing in from the lower mainland straight off the cargo ships....scooting all the way up to the sharp end of the funnel which is now The Okanagan, where the bigger bucks seems to be made these days. Every week it's a carnival of $1m drug busts up here.

It's all about the mighty $

Rich.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 9:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
The whole of the Fraser Valley is a drug funnel based on goods blowing in from the lower mainland straight off the cargo ships....scooting all the way up to the sharp end of the funnel which is now The Okanagan, where the bigger bucks seems to be made these days. Every week it's a carnival of $1m drug busts up here.

Rich.
Surely drugs that are imported and of which a million dollars worth fits in a building are not a problem but a lifestyle choice. Cocaine is very much a respectable drug choice here, more so than even weed. It's cheap locally made drugs that **** people up and that constitute a problem for municipalities.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 9:54 pm
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by dbd33
Cocaine is very much a respectable drug choice here, more so than even weed.
If peeps wanna blow their fancy big bucks up their nostrils that's their call, their choice, their values. Most coke heads I have met are self absorbed and insecure, snorting to impress and make out they be the man, living the big life. Easy to see through it.

If other peeps wanna smoke the rock and make their heads go crazy, brains go paranoid, again that's their call.

It's all a dusty white road to a land of misery of varying degrees of depravity and psychosis.

Rich.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 10:03 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dingbat

... and they parachute you in just to cheer up the locals with your unbrided optimism.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Feb 26th 2006 at 10:13 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 10:12 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rich_007

Rich.

I just got back from fishing today down here in Cabo.... we didn't get a single bite, but we found a white barnacle encrusted object floating out in the ocean so we took a look to see what it was. I cut it open and discovered that we had found a bail of marijuana (about 40-50 pounds). Of course it was a quick catch and release. :scared:
Old Feb 26th 2006, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
I just got back from fishing today down here in Cabo.... we didn't get a single bite, but we found a white barnacle encrusted object floating out in the ocean so we took a look to see what it was. I cut it open and discovered that we had found a bail of marijuana (about 40-50 pounds). Of course it was a quick catch and release. :scared:

Why waste your time unless its the genuine BC bud?
Old Feb 26th 2006, 10:34 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by willmore
Why waste your time unless its the genuine BC bud?

Maybe it was... if only you had been on the boat you could have let us know.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's cheap locally made drugs that **** people up and that constitute a problem for municipalities.
Stuff like this ,dont open on an empty stomach as pictures are very harrowing.
I've been to Hope twice, summer trip half a day OK, winter trip, its Grim.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Maybe it was... if only you had been on the boat you could have let us know.

Oh Im sure you'd have far more experience than me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.