Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What language do they speak,it aint English

What language do they speak,it aint English

Old Sep 24th 2008, 6:42 am
Just Joined

12yearson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What language do they speak,it aint English

I recall reading an article some time ago that suggested that, in some ways, North American English is truer to 'old-fashioned' English (ie the English in use at the time North America was settled) than modern-day UK English.

The reasoning was that, when the original immigrants to the US first arrived, they of course brought with them the English in use in England at the time (ignoring of course settlers of other nationalities). In the meantime, English in the UK evolved along a slightly different path to English in the US, and in some ways the English that evolved in the US stayed truer to its original source than did our own variant.

Not sure if there's any truth in this, but interesting theory.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 9:23 am
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
did you get it from me or this your own personal pet hate as well ?

see post *3

My personal pet hate is ...... I would of - I could of ..... instead of HAVE !!!!
Actually what I think people say is could/would've, which of course sounds like could of.

As you were.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 11:39 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

"Chesterfield" for "sofa" is another ethnicism.

I suggest though that the quintessential Canadian expression is "kilometres", or often "clics", "per tank" as a measure of vehicle fuel consumption. There's currently a car advert on the TV claiming "1000 kilometres per tank" and I often hear it from a spodish local when he enthuses over his diesel Beetle. I don't think this unit of measure is used anywhere else.

I think it's Canadian in that it's vague, tanks vary in size, it indicates confusion, if people knew how many gallons they were buying and how many miles they were driving they could express themselves better, it indicates acquiesence to intrusive government, no one wanted their pumps metricated, and it exists to falsely suggest a differentiation between Canada and the US, the same adverts on other channels claim many mpg for the same car. It's even a bit French and so it offers the whole unhyphenated pschye in one phrase, eh.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 12:56 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by montreal mike
But even the spell checker has a limited use.

I recall reading an article about sexual assault where the word 'therapist' came out as 'the rapist'.

A simple typo perhaps, but not funny.
I can't help but say that your post reminded me of an old Saturday Night Live skit called Celebrity Jeopardy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etmHaeaNsCw

The reference to "the rapist" comes at 1:00 min.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 1:04 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rjt_uk
I actually need Volunteer Research Participants of all ages, who have been here no more than five years, and if British, need to speak RP or 'Standard English' (South of England) I also need Americans (from Western, Midland, Northern and Central Eastern States of America), NZ'ers (North Island) and South Africans.
I can't PM you because you've only got 2 posts. I'm Canadian living in Australia for the past year, don't think that's what you're looking for. But if you are, feel free to ask some questions.

Last edited by comet555; Sep 24th 2008 at 1:06 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 1:43 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
"Chesterfield" for "sofa" is another ethnicism.

I suggest though that the quintessential Canadian expression is "kilometres", or often "clics", "per tank" as a measure of vehicle fuel consumption. There's currently a car advert on the TV claiming "1000 kilometres per tank" and I often hear it from a spodish local when he enthuses over his diesel Beetle. I don't think this unit of measure is used anywhere else.

I think it's Canadian in that it's vague, tanks vary in size, it indicates confusion, if people knew how many gallons they were buying and how many miles they were driving they could express themselves better, it indicates acquiesence to intrusive government, no one wanted their pumps metricated, and it exists to falsely suggest a differentiation between Canada and the US, the same adverts on other channels claim many mpg for the same car. It's even a bit French and so it offers the whole unhyphenated pschye in one phrase, eh.

dbd33: as an IT jockey you've probably come across the Furlong/Firkin/Fortnight system of units before? I hadn't, so when I read this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFF_System

...I immediately thought you'd like it.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 3:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
dbd33: as an IT jockey you've probably come across the Furlong/Firkin/Fortnight system of units before? I hadn't, so when I read this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFF_System

...I immediately thought you'd like it.
I do like it. And it was news to me. Very timely, we have an ultra-geek coming to visit on the weekend and he will love it. Thanks.