Reload this Page >

what kind of car?

what kind of car?

Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:33 am
Just Joined

d2801 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what kind of car?

Hi all

13 days and counting before we land in Canada, we seem to have done well to get everything arranged but when we arrive we have hired a car for a few weeks to ease the strain of getting around.

Eventually we will need to get a car and I don't which one.
I have looked at a variety of Ford / GMC / Chevrolet and JEEP.

Can anyone give knowledge on a good reliable family SUV to purchase probaby second hand, and what garages to stay away from.

We have two boys and need enough space to place a double buggy in the boot. Space is an important factor. Also would like a 4X4 to see us through the weather an d we like our outdoors so will be doing minor off road, dirt tracks etc for camping.

Look forward to any input

Take care all
Dave and Emma
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

cynthia2373 will become famous soon enoughcynthia2373 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: what kind of car?

Would be interested to see what people recommend as we too fly out soon! Still hasn't sunk in yet that we fly out in 8 days!!
Good luck with your move!

Originally Posted by d2801
Hi all

13 days and counting before we land in Canada, we seem to have done well to get everything arranged but when we arrive we have hired a car for a few weeks to ease the strain of getting around.

Can anyone give knowledge on a good reliable family SUV to purchase probaby second hand, and what garages to stay away from.

We have two boys and need enough space to place a double buggy in the boot. Space is an important factor. Also would like a 4X4 to see us through the weather an d we like our outdoors so will be doing minor off road, dirt tracks etc for camping.

Take care all
Dave and Emma
Old Feb 28th 2008, 9:28 am
Moose Jaw's Ambassador

roanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant future

First, stay away from the Jeeps, they are expensive, and absolute sluts on fuel consumption! Try looking at GMC Jimmy, Ford Explorer, Chrysler Mini Van. (4x4 on the minivan is optional). It would help if I new what part of the country you were going to, and what your daily driving habits might be. In my opinion, the best way to buy a good used vehicle is at an auction. You save thousands in taxes, finance and/or leasing costs etc. It pays to pay a mechanic to go with you to check things over. Most reputable auctions have a decent return policy on motor, axles and transmission faults. I usually buy something just a year or two old. Well worth considering.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 10:30 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Could I add to this and ask if there's any SUV's available in diesel? Only diesels I've found so far have been small VW's.....
Old Feb 28th 2008, 11:33 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Could I add to this and ask if there's any SUV's available in diesel? Only diesels I've found so far have been small VW's.....
Only diesel SUV currently available in Canada is the Jeep Grand Cherokee. You might also find a rare Jeep Liberty diesel. Apart from that it's gas all the way!

One thing to be aware of the for the OP is that gas here might seem cheap in comparison to UK but as a percentage of income for many it's proportionately more expensive than you might think! So think twice before signing up for the V8 truck or SUV.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 11:51 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Take care all
Dave and Emma
Ford Escape.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 12:14 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Only diesel SUV currently available in Canada is the Jeep Grand Cherokee. You might also find a rare Jeep Liberty diesel. Apart from that it's gas all the way!

One thing to be aware of the for the OP is that gas here might seem cheap in comparison to UK but as a percentage of income for many it's proportionately more expensive than you might think! So think twice before signing up for the V8 truck or SUV.

Hence my question about diesel..... I would like to have regular incursions across the border without having to stop every couple of hours for gas. I currently get 600 miles from my VW diesel here in the UK
Old Feb 28th 2008, 12:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Hence my question about diesel..... I would like to have regular incursions across the border without having to stop every couple of hours for gas. I currently get 600 miles from my VW diesel here in the UK
Surely you do want to stop for gas in the US. I try to hit empty as soon as I reach the border.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 12:29 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Well, yes and no - I'd prefer to hit the border on empty in a diesel and not fill up again until the next incursion!
Old Feb 28th 2008, 12:55 pm
Moose Jaw's Ambassador

roanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant future

Although there are lots of diesel fueled vehicles here, including the VWs, you need to bear in mind that most common vehicles are way bigger and heavier here, and as a consequence, are heavier on fuel. Obviously you have a young and growing family, and the VW may no longer suit your space requirements, but no matter which way you cut it, if you are forced to go bigger, then you will be putting out more on any kind of fuel. There is hardly any difference here now, between the prices of gas and diesel fuel. LPG is an alternative, but filling stations are only slowly developing their position in the marketplace.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 1:00 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

You're right - the diesel Vw's wouldn't fit a growing family, hence I would like a diesel SUV, to at least try and get some kind of reasonable fuel consumption, but seems that might not be possible.

Are you suggesting that the same make and model of car is heavier in Canada? i.e. if I bought Vw there it would be heavier than a european made Vw?
Old Feb 28th 2008, 1:27 pm
Moose Jaw's Ambassador

Not necessarily, but possibly. The same make and model here can be different in several ways, vis: Bumpers are of a heavier gauge here than UK models, also most vehicles carry extras which really add up on weight, such as: air conditioners, power windows and locks, automatic transmissions (Manual is an option in most cases). I do believe that there is an SUV made by Toyota which may come in diesel format (Highlander) perhaps, but very expensive. You could expand your horizons if you wanted to go the small truck route, some of which come with "jump seats" in the extended cab versions. The kids would love that! Many of these smaller trucks can be found with diesel power plants. I would suggest that you "google" some Canadian dealers, to see what is available.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 1:41 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Take care all
Dave and Emma
You're unlikely to need 4x4 to "get you through the weather" unless you live in the back of beyond. Front-wheel drive and snow tires are the way to go - but it comes down to personal preference in the end. You'd get better internal space, better fuel economy, and a greater chance of getting your double buggy plus all other child-related clobber in the back if you looked at a minivan.

As others have said, diesels are a rarity - mainly due to past issues with the quality (and sulphur content, I believe) of diesel fuel and the resulting difficulty in getting diesel engines through emmissions control regulations. Diesel is still seen pretty much as a dirty, smelly fuel fit only for commercial vehicles.

What sort of budget are you looking at? Difficult to give recommendations with such a blank canvas, but if you're dead set on a 4x4 you could do a lot worse than dbd's suggestion of a Ford Escape. We know a few owners, none of whom is anything less than happy with theirs. I wouldn't bother with a "lifestyle/crossover" vehicle as you sacrifice the space and fuel efficiency without gaining much in return except the look of the thing, IMHO.

Otherwise, various Subarus would be worth a look, as would the Mazda 5, or if a minivan wins out for practicality look at Honda Odyssey (declaration of interest: I have one and am impressed with it) or Kia Sedona. My own advice would be to avoid Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Town & Country like the plague - they're everywhere, but they're horrible. Of course, YMMV.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:23 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

An SUV? What's wrong with protecting the environment and using public transport, eh?
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:37 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Public transport eh? Now there's a novel idea..... maybe it'll catch on?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.