Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What important considerations for planning to spend twilight years in Canada?

What important considerations for planning to spend twilight years in Canada?

Old Jun 11th 2012, 12:20 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What important considerations for planning to spend twilight years in Canada?

Originally Posted by el_richo
You may pay more tax but the final price differential is minimal, if different at all at the macro level.

The NHS covers all drug costs for a person over 65 (or 60, i forget) anyway. Plus my mum get heating subsidy, free public transport, and pays 150 quid in car insurance including breakdown coverage forher Nissan Micra. You don't get that in AB
Depends on your income level as a retiree. For example in the UK if you were retired and your income was £15,000 a year, you would be in the 20% bracket in the UK, 25% in Alberta and 20.06% in BC. But indirect taxes in Alberta are far lower.

Car registration fee here is only $70 pa for example. GST is 5%, and it works the same way as VAT in the UK which is 20%. No TV licensing. Fuel taxes are much less.

Also at higher income levels income taxes are much less in Canada and the personal allowance is roughly the same. The maximum rate in Alberta is 39% and that doesn't kick in until you get to $132,000 of income, whereas in the UK at around $55,000 you get to the 40% bracket.

Capital gains taxes are lower also.

Obviously if you are a retiree your income may be quite low, and obviously the lower your income the less of an advantage there is in total money terms. In which case you should live in BC, which has lower income taxes than Alberta does on low incomes.

And Alberta does have various programmes to help seniors: http://www.seniors.alberta.ca/media_...iors_programs/
Old Jun 11th 2012, 1:57 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What important considerations for planning to spend twilight years in Canada?

Originally Posted by feelbritish
only CPP (depends how much you pay in)can be drawn abroad not OAS unless you been resident for 20 years, well that is how I read it on the website! Would be great if I was wrong!
not sure....there are some lengthy resident requirements. Which make sense really.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 1:59 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Federal and provincial jobs are where it's at if you can get it. In our line of work, you can bump your pension to 70% max and if you are still young enough to carry on, then you can double-dip

Our son got sick during a road trip to Chicago in 2009, and we were in and out of the Hospital just shy of 1hr, thanks to the coverage.
i hear you ...8 years to my fed pension and with healthy RRSP's....we should be okay....
Old Jun 11th 2012, 5:59 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Depends on your income level as a retiree. For example in the UK if you were retired and your income was £15,000 a year, you would be in the 20% bracket in the UK, 25% in Alberta and 20.06% in BC. But indirect taxes in Alberta are far lower.

Car registration fee here is only $70 pa for example. GST is 5%, and it works the same way as VAT in the UK which is 20%. No TV licensing. Fuel taxes are much less.

Also at higher income levels income taxes are much less in Canada and the personal allowance is roughly the same. The maximum rate in Alberta is 39% and that doesn't kick in until you get to $132,000 of income, whereas in the UK at around $55,000 you get to the 40% bracket.

Capital gains taxes are lower also.

Obviously if you are a retiree your income may be quite low, and obviously the lower your income the less of an advantage there is in total money terms. In which case you should live in BC, which has lower income taxes than Alberta does on low incomes.

And Alberta does have various programmes to help seniors: http://www.seniors.alberta.ca/media_...iors_programs/
**** me i nearly fell asleep halfway through reading that post.

See post #37
Old Jun 11th 2012, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
i hear you ...8 years to my fed pension and with healthy RRSP's....we should be okay....
Probably already making enquiries with the BC Liquor commission or ICBC
Are you going at the 50% rate or doing the full 70% bit? The Feds are stalling on letting us have the 25 year deal no penalty you guys and Corrections have. I know its a different job but we do have the same Minister in the PSC portfolio. Firearms recerts and CDT recerts dont look appealing once you reach your 50s
Old Jun 11th 2012, 6:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Probably already making enquiries with the BC Liquor commission or ICBC
Are you going at the 50% rate or doing the full 70% bit? The Feds are stalling on letting us have the 25 year deal no penalty you guys and Corrections have. I know its a different job but we do have the same Minister in the PSC portfolio. Firearms recerts and CDT recerts dont look appealing once you reach your 50s
plan on going at 24 plus a day, which is 50 percent. I may do a bit more, (Extra 2 percent a year) but this is my plan. I have 3 years on my mortgage and my RRSP are maxed out.

Did you lose the federal severance package...we just did, or rather it was grandfathered.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 5:09 am
Just Joined

Super Plumb is an unknown quantity at this point

I can give any retirees in The OK valley a great deal on walk in baths Pm me
Old Jun 13th 2012, 4:47 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

What if your kids do as you did and **** off to another country
LOL When we moved to Canada from England my only child (son) was 29 and everyone said "how can you leave him... he will be having children soon and you'll miss seeing them ... etc etc". Three years after we moved to Canada he moved to a small town in Austria, quickest means of travel to get to him from UK is six hours!! Looks like he is going to be there for some time before relocating to US.

J
Old Jun 14th 2012, 10:16 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

**** me i nearly fell asleep halfway through reading that post.

See post #37
But it's not the same, that's the point I was making. The higher your income the better off you are in Canada. If you've got investments making money you will be better off here.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:42 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

But it's not the same, that's the point I was making. The higher your income the better off you are in Canada. If you've got investments making money you will be better off here.
But the bottom line is, if you have a higher income in either country you can live well. If you're struggling to make ends meet, either country could be shit.

In real every day terms, other than the weather and potential distance from friends and family, it's no different.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 1:09 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

If you have a higher income you will be better off in Canada because the taxes are lower on higher incomes, that is a real difference. We're not talking super high incomes either, we're talking in excess of $55,000, roughly, although you'd have to be higher than that to actually notice it, I dare say. And indirect taxes are lower as well.

If you're on the old UK pension scheme with the additional contributions that you used to be able to make (and you made them), in Canadian dollars you're getting roughly $22,000 a year just from your state pension, so you've only got to be making $33,000+ from other sources as far as income taxes go to be better off.

I can't really remember how private UK pension schemes work, but if it's income tax deferred then you're better off paying Canadian taxes on the withdrawals.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
plan on going at 24 plus a day, which is 50 percent. I may do a bit more, (Extra 2 percent a year) but this is my plan. I have 3 years on my mortgage and my RRSP are maxed out.

Did you lose the federal severance package...we just did, or rather it was grandfathered.
They want our bargaining group to give up the severance but most are not in favour. Id be willing to give it up for the 25 yr no penalty retirement at 50%. Still a year without a contract whats another year and trying to bargain with CBSA management is like pulling teeth at the moment.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 2:26 am
Beep

If you have a higher income you will be better off in Canada because the taxes are lower on higher incomes, that is a real difference. We're not talking super high incomes either, we're talking in excess of $55,000, roughly, although you'd have to be higher than that to actually notice it, I dare say. And indirect taxes are lower as well.

If you're on the old UK pension scheme with the additional contributions that you used to be able to make (and you made them), in Canadian dollars you're getting roughly $22,000 a year just from your state pension, so you've only got to be making $33,000+ from other sources as far as income taxes go to be better off.

I can't really remember how private UK pension schemes work, but if it's income tax deferred then you're better off paying Canadian taxes on the withdrawals.
If you have a uk pension that is reliant on exchange rates, if they drop enough, your income is greatly impacted.

But you're still not grasping what I'm saying. For the most, daily life will not be impacted. Other than weather and proximity to family, it'll not be much different.

Edit: just noticed the thread about pension lump sum AFTER becoming a resident of Canada. Sounds costly.

Last edited by el_richo; Jun 15th 2012 at 3:03 am.