Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What important considerations for planning to spend twilight years in Canada?

What important considerations for planning to spend twilight years in Canada?

Old Jun 6th 2012, 1:24 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What important considerations for planning to spend twilight years in Canada?

Originally Posted by oopsbuddy
I hear you, El Richo, and for many reasons I figured NS would be a good fit for us too. As close as possible to "home", for as long as that was necessary or useful, plus the climate (although cold)
But it's not though, because there aren't many (any?) direct flights. And it snows a lot in the maritimes.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 2:34 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What important considerations for planning to spend twilight years in Canada?

Originally Posted by Steve_
I don't quite get the comments about prescriptions, you've got to bear in mind taxes in BC and Alberta and much of the rest of Canada are much lower than in the UK and prescription costs aren't that big of a deal. Speaking as someone who is quite unhealthy.
I'm retired in Ontario and experience no prescription costs directly. That is a benefit of being retired here. My prescription costs are substantial ($3000 mthly). I'm under no illusion that this arrangement could be abandoned/amended at the whim of Smirky McGuilty, our not so esteemed Provincial leader.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

BC Stands for "bring cash" If you do not get full benefits from your employer and thus your pension provider when the time comes, you pay for your drugs, unless they are given to you in hospital. You also pay for your medical - it is about $130/month for two of us. If you are low income you don't pay this nor if you get benefits. It is still worth it because medical is good but we are still both healthy and we have heard of horror stories of cancer drugs costing a fortune as an out-patient. Alberta has oil money so they dont pay, not sure about rest of Provinces
Old Jun 6th 2012, 2:57 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
BC Stands for "bring cash" If you do not get full benefits from your employer and thus your pension provider when the time comes, you pay for your drugs, unless they are given to you in hospital. You also pay for your medical - it is about $130/month for two of us. If you are low income you don't pay this nor if you get benefits. It is still worth it because medical is good but we are still both healthy and we have heard of horror stories of cancer drugs costing a fortune as an out-patient. Alberta has oil money so they dont pay, not sure about rest of Provinces
In Ontario all retirees receive the full drug benefit, regardless of income level. In Ontario, and I suspect other Provinces, there is a publicly funded scheme for those on overly expensive drugs and unable to bear the costs.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 3:02 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
BC Stands for "bring cash"
Really? I have never heard that before.

If you do not get full benefits from your employer and thus your pension provider when the time comes, you pay for your drugs, unless they are given to you in hospital.
That is not quite right. You pay full price for drugs within a range depending on your income. Above the limit the government picks up the tab. If you need a lot of drugs google Fair Pharmacare.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

oopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond repute

Just to put the local scene in perspective here (yes, in Ireland) in terms of "be careful what you leave behind" (and BEWARE,... here comes my rant!), everything here is also being cut, even though in many cases there wasn't much there to begin with!

Statutory retirement age here (as it is in the UK) is increasing (even though many other European countries have much further to go to even come close to us) and unless you have a "medical card" here, you pay for pretty well everything, even if you also pay through the nose for private medical insurance. We do not have anything close to the NHS.

Many public servants here (from the TOP down!) recently availed of generous early retirement provisions, after which, those still in PS employment will face less favourable terms when they retire. Coupled with this is an embargo on public service recruitment, so those that are left have to share out the burden of the extra work, less favourable benefits and several more years of cuts planned ahead. And that's just for those who are still lucky enough to have a PS job!

The private sector (and especially the self-employed) has to provide for itself in full (ie, whatever pension contributions you can squirrel away for yourself AFTER you have been taxed til you bleed to pay for the banks' bailout, as well as bear the brunt of the ever increasing cost of paying for the public service and its juicy pensions) is the only pension you can look forward to, with the exception of the standard State OAP, and after you pay for your own health care (and health insurance. if you can afford it - and many many thousands of people are abandoning it, leaving fewer in the insurance pool to share the burden) there is very little left.

I will have to see what my/our best employment prospects would be in Canada, and where that might leave us when we hit retirement, but I am certainly under no illusions that we'd be leaving very little behind in terms of a safety net.

But that's just me and my rant, and apologies for that, but jeez, it does make me angry how quickly such a decent place to live can become such a bankrupt disaster, due to corruption (well documented), greed and downright incompetence at the highest level. And don't even get me started on the Euro, and whether or not it will survive or implode, and what are the likely consequenhces of either....!

I'll put up with (but will naturally do my best to overcome) any initial unfriendliness I come across, because it is perfectly understandable that a constant inflow of outsiders can result in fewer jobs locally, with resulting resentment towards immigrants, but in my experience of living in Canada before, if you take peolpe as you find them, and try and have them do the same for you, there is rarely any issue.

So,...any more issues that should be of concern to those planning not to leave Canada once they get there....? I really appreciate the comments so far,....but I'm still comin!!

Last edited by oopsbuddy; Jun 6th 2012 at 8:37 am.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 10:13 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just add, from living in Nova Scotia that its not unfriendly to outsiders. There is a difference between Halifax and the more rural towns but not in the friendliness stakes just in the ambience - small city versus small town with not much going on. There ARE people here that are ignorant and unpleasant, like everywhere but most I have met are pleased that we chose to live here.

There ARE direct flights but to the UK all year round, the costs changes with the availiability. AC is there all year whereas Air Transat and Canadian Affair are only available from May to October.

If you do want some heat in the winter you can get down to Florida for less than $500 (flight cost)

There must be travel insurance available for the older generation as on a recent flight back from Orlando I met quite a few seniors coming back to NS for the summer from the Florida homes. They struck me as normal people and not overly rich.

The biggest winter prob here seems to be ice as the temp goes up and down a bit but there are people who will come and clear your driveway and then you can salt it or buy a non salt alternative. Dont buy a home on an unpaved road and make sure you have a paved driveway as ice melts much faster on the paved surfaces. Unpaved roads seem to stay lethal for weeks.

Good luck with your decisions.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the real world! With your determination, anything is possible! That sorts out the "wheat from the chaf" Ireland is different to UK and yes went from a boom to bust along with the rest of them. . Canada is beautiful and a great country and with its resources should continue to prosper long into this century. Sometimes we seem negative, but we are just pointing out some pitfalls that others have encountered, not intending to put anyone off their dream. If you can work for yourself even better! Jobs are difficult to get in places like NS and Vancouver Island and that is a fact. There is no such thing as a perfect place and I know after living on 3 continents in my lifetime. Change happens and it is how we adapt to those changes that makes life what it is. Everyone has different circumstances, standards and dreams. Wishing you all the best and I am sure you will be very happy in NS it is still on my "bucket list" to visit. Just hoping maybe to do a houseswop lol
Old Jun 6th 2012, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

oopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Can I just add, from living in Nova Scotia that its not unfriendly to outsiders. There is a difference between Halifax and the more rural towns but not in the friendliness stakes just in the ambience - small city versus small town with not much going on. There ARE people here that are ignorant and unpleasant, like everywhere but most I have met are pleased that we chose to live here.

There ARE direct flights but to the UK all year round, the costs changes with the availiability. AC is there all year whereas Air Transat and Canadian Affair are only available from May to October.

If you do want some heat in the winter you can get down to Florida for less than $500 (flight cost)

There must be travel insurance available for the older generation as on a recent flight back from Orlando I met quite a few seniors coming back to NS for the summer from the Florida homes. They struck me as normal people and not overly rich.

The biggest winter prob here seems to be ice as the temp goes up and down a bit but there are people who will come and clear your driveway and then you can salt it or buy a non salt alternative. Dont buy a home on an unpaved road and make sure you have a paved driveway as ice melts much faster on the paved surfaces. Unpaved roads seem to stay lethal for weeks.

Good luck with your decisions.
I must get the hang of "Multiquote"!!

I was in NS for 2 weeks and found everybody to be as friendly and helpful as I would have expected, so I have no issues there.

I know there are no direct flights to Ireland from Halifax, but also that there are direct flights to London (close enough...!)

I will keep my options open re Florida (or France or Spain!) for some of the winters, but that will also be a factor of post-retirement income, so we'll have to see.

Many thanks for the good wishes....I've made my decision to go, I just can't decide yet "when"! Too many variables still...!

I will make a point of getting in touch when we get there, and buying you an undoubtedly massively overpriced pint! I liked our tour of the island, and we were also in Yarmouth...briefly. See you soon!

And to "Feelbritish",...I am also very well-disposed towards house swapping, so whenever it suits us both to swap a week or two on opposing sides of the country, you're on!
Old Jun 6th 2012, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

ha ha PM me whenever you are ready, try next 5 years though because we are retiring to England!
Old Jun 6th 2012, 6:22 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oopsbuddy
I must get the hang of "Multiquote"!!

I was in NS for 2 weeks and found everybody to be as friendly and helpful as I would have expected, so I have no issues there.

I know there are no direct flights to Ireland from Halifax, but also that there are direct flights to London (close enough...!)

I will keep my options open re Florida (or France or Spain!) for some of the winters, but that will also be a factor of post-retirement income, so we'll have to see.

Many thanks for the good wishes....I've made my decision to go, I just can't decide yet "when"! Too many variables still...!

I will make a point of getting in touch when we get there, and buying you an undoubtedly massively overpriced pint! I liked our tour of the island, and we were also in Yarmouth...briefly. See you soon!

And to "Feelbritish",...I am also very well-disposed towards house swapping, so whenever it suits us both to swap a week or two on opposing sides of the country, you're on!

I don' t want to hijack your thread, but the comment about house swapping interested me. We are considering doing a house swap, in the future, after we move back to Scotland. Have you done a swap in the past. Maybe we could start another thread on this subject.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 6:31 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
I don' t want to hijack your thread, but the comment about house swapping interested me. We are considering doing a house swap, in the future, after we move back to Scotland. Have you done a swap in the past. Maybe we could start another thread on this subject.
Do you throw your house keys in a bowl and take whichever you have selected at random?
Old Jun 6th 2012, 6:36 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Do you throw your house keys in a bowl and take whichever you have selected at random?

I can't speak for others, but my house isn't that kinky
Old Jun 6th 2012, 6:38 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
thats too funny
Old Jun 6th 2012, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

A house swopping section may be a good idea! Great way to see a place and with accommodation so expensive, might be a thought!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.