I'm trying to put together the ultimate guide to landing so that
we're prepared for own (only 11 days to go !!!!!) and so that others
can see what they have to do. So can all of you clever people help me
put together a chronological list of what we can expect to go through
right from when we leave the plane to when we're finally leaving the
airport as landed Canadians. What do we need to have prepared ? What
will they look for ? What are the best tips for smoothing the
process ? How long does it take ?

Then, when we've sorted that out, what happens after we've landed ?
What do we need to do in our first week ? Get the SIN, etc - all that
stuff.

I'm sure with all the experience and knowledge around in this forum
we can put together something that's fairly accurate.

Cheers.
Old Feb 25th 2003, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

flatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the rough
Default When you land.........

Okay - the last three years have been a kind of whirlwind really, but I will try and recall our experience whilst landing in Toronto on October 2000......

After collecting the bags etc., we went through passport control and told the guy we were landing as immigrants. He then sent us off to another immigration bit where we were to complete the landing process.

I suppose the whole thing took about a hour, maybe not that long. We had to produce (obviously) the Imm document....thingy, and advise how much funds we had on us. They then asked for an address in Canada. The immigration officer then signed the landing papers and then we were "accepted" into the country I suppose. We were then asked to take a seat and someone would call for us. Sure enough, we were then given a "Welcome to Canada" pack that included forms for SIN numbers, Canadian Child Benefit and info on living in Canada. They simply could not have been nicer about it and its nothing to be concerned about. I suppose the length of time it takes depends on how busy it is at the time, but provided you have all the documents at hand, it shouldnt be too long.

As for the first week? Well, we got the SIN numbers (have to get it in person - prepare for a wait!) All you get to start with is a receipt for your application - no number, just a receipt. The card with the number comes through in about 3/4 weeks. Dont let anybody tell you that they cant hire you until you have the card with the number on it - thats not true! Provided you have the receipt to confirm you have applied for the number, they cant refuse to hire you.

Then I got the driving licence thing sorted (well sort of). You know that in Ontario there is a graduated licencing system:
G1; G2; G
Buy a Canadian Highway Code book asap and study and take the G1 (written) test., once you have the G1 licence and you can prove your experience with a UK licence, you will be able to apply for the G1 exit test straightaway. This will then give you a G2 and there are less restrictions on that, then apply for the full "G".

You will find that most insurance companies will not take your UK insurance into account., but they will reduce the premium if you have taken an approved driving course. Its all bollocks of course, its far easier to drive here than on those crappy roads in the UK, and Toronto has some of the worst drivers I have ever seen - outside of Naples I suppose!

Then my time was spent bombarding prospective employers!

Good luck with the move - dont forget that it probably aint gonna be easy, but be determined to succeed - the benefits wont necesserily be immediate, but be positive and there are two things I would say are vital to bring with you - Cadburys Dairy Milk and a warm coat!!!!